Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Thermal Hopper head question....

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Thermal Hopper head question....

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2004, 09:58 AM
jettstarblue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thermal Hopper head question....

I picked up this "Thermal Hopper" yesterday, and the glow head works, but is a little weak. I tried a regular Cox .049 glow head from a TD, but it's not even close.... Can I still get one for it, or do I "convert" it to a short plug? I've "converted a couple of the regular old Cox .049's to use a short plug succesfully before.

Thanks!
Old 10-31-2004, 10:15 AM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Thermal Hopper head question....

Jetts,
The original Cox engines used a smaller diameter glow plug diameter. This means your TH has not been "swapped" as so many other have been, and it is best to keep the original cylinder and head in case you ever want to sell to a collector.

You can take any newer cox 049 cylinder with the newer "standard" size glowhead and use it with your TH.

Or, I may have one old one NIP that I paid $10 for it US. I used to collect 1/2A's and had a lot of the old Coxes. If I find it you can have it.

AJC
Old 10-31-2004, 10:43 AM
jettstarblue

Thanks AJ, I'd gladly trade or pay for it, I may keep/run it. I know it's not worth a kings ransome or anything, but if I don't get rid of some of this stuff, my wife is going to kill me!!!

Actually, she has a couple of engines I've "given" her- A .049 Norvel "cause it's sooo cute", (they were 30 bucks for the R/C version, so I got one to run, and one to keep her quite...big mistake, now she's a collector, and is eyeing all this stuff I got yesterday) a McCoy Black Head .35 C/L, and an old Veco .29 glow that I ran once, and then gave to her with a display stand I made.....
Old 10-31-2004, 11:22 AM
ajcoholic

I have one left. I paid $10 US for these at Toledo a few years back, off a MECA collector. I needed about 4 or 5 but have this one left NIP.

If you are going to keep the engine, and fly it, I would send it to you for free.

If you plan to sell the engine, I will sell it for what I paid for it plus post.

AJC
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80422.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	188482  
Old 10-31-2004, 11:24 AM
ajcoholic

Even though it says for TD 049... that meant the Thimble Drome (hence the name TD) not the TD front rotary engine which did not exist at the time!

AJC
Old 10-31-2004, 01:29 PM
jettstarblue

AJ,
check your PM's
Old 10-31-2004, 01:34 PM
jettstarblue

Not sure what I'm going to do with the Thermal Hopper yet, like I said, I got to decide what I'm keeping, and what I'm not....the Wankels is going to go....I don't really have that big an interest in it, and I have several engines in that size range. I'd hate to run the TH as an everyday engine, and burn the last glow head available. I do have the other .049's......
Old 08-03-2007, 07:29 PM
projecthog

Hi Jet,
I would be interested in the wankel if you want....I'm looking for a second type11, and also a second old style 1800 (first model with ring) If you are interested in selling would you let me know? THX PH.