Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Recomend cheap/easy design.

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Recomend cheap/easy design.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 04:25 AM
hcker2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recomend cheap/easy design.

I used to have a 1/2a airplain but never got to fly it. I still have all my radio gear and motors (norvels). I was wondering if any one knows of a cheap and easy design to build and fly. The main reson I want it cheap and easy is so I can make another one if I crash the fist. I'v always liked the little plains they atatched ribbons to and they they try and cut the tail off of each others plains. I know these arnt the easyest things to fly I'm sure but the design looks simple/cheap.
Old 11-10-2004, 04:40 AM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Recomend cheap/easy design.

If you want simple, cheap, rugged and combat suitable planes then check out the ACE Simple Series.

http://www.acehobby.com/acehobby/pro...ers/index.html
Old 11-10-2004, 08:45 AM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bipe Flyer

If you want simple, cheap, rugged and combat suitable planes then check out the ACE Simple Series.

Ditto Bipe's comment. Here is another source for the Simple Series: [link=http://www2.mailordercentral.com/quantummodels/products.asp?dept=2&pagenumber=2]Quantum Models[/link]
Old 11-10-2004, 10:41 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the Ace simple series too, but if your new to flying...go to JK Aerotech and look up the T-52 its not a pretty plane but,Its as easy to handle as they come for the smaller engines and can be fixed till your tired of it..Rog
Old 11-10-2004, 12:26 PM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Sounds like a need to the LynnSipes150 to me....don't you guys think so too? Just as easy to build as a Simple Series plane but stronger I think. Flys great for someone getting back into 1/2a and with a Norvel would be a SUPER fun plane.

Later,
Tim
Old 11-10-2004, 12:33 PM
mr_leffe

Hi Tim..... You are a mind reader. I was going to sugggest the very same thing. Even going to call it from now on the Lynn Sipes 150.
Old 11-10-2004, 04:48 PM
jboy381-RCU

the LS150 is one i vote for...mine has been to he&% and back...still flys just like i built it yesterday...only cost 15.00 worth of wood,1 roll of $kote,an engine(cox product in mine),and radio equipment...if you already have the radio and engine the rest is as simple as it gets...

if your wondering why we call it the Lynn Sipes150...it is in memory of the late Lynn Sipes...he's the one that first thought up this airplane...

happy flying,
john
Old 11-11-2004, 06:35 AM
hcker2000

Thanks.

Any links/plans for the Lynn Sipes150? Also how many channels dose it use? Last one I had was for a two channel radio but I installed a 3rd survo for throttle. I was thinking about a 4th for rudder controle but wasnt sure how to do that sence it had twin rudders.
Old 11-11-2004, 07:29 AM
Deadstik
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hcker,

I strongly recommend that you check out Early R/C Models for a great design.
www.earlyrcmodels.com

Bob Harris puts out excellent kits that are simple to build and fly wonderfully. I've flown almost everything he kits and can't say enough good things about them. Take a look... these planes weigh less and fly better on 1/2 A than anything w/a Ace foam wing. (put away your bricks guys, I'm building a Simple Staggerwing as I type this!) Good luck with your project.. welcome back to the simple R/C life.

Dan

aka deadstik
Carolina Custom Aircraft
Old 11-11-2004, 08:40 AM
mclintock
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The littlest stick on [link=http://my.pclink.com/~dfritzke/]this plan page[/link] is the plan that gets modded to become the LS150.

Just do what you have to do, either print the plan as is, then blow it up using a xerox till it's 150 percent of the original size or blow it up to 150 on your computer then print.

It's a one channel design on the plan, so to fly it two channel (RE) it needs to have the wind incidence put to zero, so the flat part of the bottom of the wing is parallel to the horizontal stab. Some think the fuse looks too fat when blown up, so some make the sides less 'tall'. I don't think anybody on here that has built one has bothered to put landing gear on, just belly land.

Searching here of 'LS 150' or for posts by Lynn S will put you into LS 150 world.
Old 11-11-2004, 04:39 PM
jboy381-RCU

i cut 1/2 inch off the bottom of mine...if i had to do it agian i would cut a 1/2 inch off the side too...the hardest part of this plane is cutting all the wing ribs...i used 3 sheets of 3/32 balsa and a peice of 1/8 ply for fire wall...took 2 days to build,one to cut parts and one to build and cover...ok 3 if you count installing radio gear and setting it up for flight...

i guarantee you'll have the only one at the flying field...

john
Old 11-11-2004, 04:44 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I was going to recommend www.earlyrcmodels.com , but BobHH's planes are too pretty to smash up in combat.[sm=crying.gif]
Old 11-11-2004, 06:48 PM
cortacesped

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definitively, if you are looking for a cheap & easy design to build from scratch go for the LS 150. There´s plenty of info about it in previous threads. Regards.

Claudio
Old 11-11-2004, 07:46 PM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

I would echo John's recommendations for the LS-150 - that is to reduce the height and width of the fuselage by 1/2 inch. I did mine that way and there is still plenty of room for the radio equipment. I also added some 1/4 square in the corners so that I could round the edges - it cleans up the enlarged design into something smoother and better proportioned (IMHO).
Old 11-11-2004, 11:47 PM
hcker2000

Well I checked out the 150 link but its a little to standered for me. I always like weird looking plains. This is a link to the plain I had but mine was scratch built from plans I got http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXM401&P=0

I think half the problems I had with that plain was I used a fule tank that was about 1in X 1in X 2in and I as far as I can tell now thats way way way to big?

This is some thing like the fighting "wings" looked like but the wings didn't have any taper to them.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNA78&P=0

Any one ever flown one?

Also one of those but a pusher model would be very cool looking.
Old 11-12-2004, 08:31 AM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Shrike is quick, but it is not a standard build and probably not one I would suggest for learning to fly 1/2A. If you're wanting something fast, but of a more standard configuration, check the [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXNS17&P=7]Lanier Dominator 200[/link], the [link=http://www.quantummodels.com]SIG Hummer or the ACE Simple 400[/link].
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68247.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	192377   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50949.jpg
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	192378   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af88154.jpg
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	192379  
Old 11-13-2004, 04:58 PM
hcker2000

Yea I'm actualy looking for some thing that isnt a typical type plain. Any one know of any plans for some thing thats similer to the shrike? There is one on tower hobbies that is a strate wing plain but still is in the general configureation of the shrike (it's $40 though).
Old 11-13-2004, 08:21 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Check out the thread about building planes with 1/4" blue foam. You can go with a 36"x6" wing. GORILLA glue it together, and glue an overlapping bundle of bamboo skewers to the L.E. for strength. Clear packing tape for covering, and a scrap of circuit board material for a firewall and control horns. You could stay almost entirely away from the cost of doing business at the hobby store with a little imagination. Get your flying skills with a throw away plane[over tall grass], then go for the kit type.
Old 11-15-2004, 11:21 PM
hcker2000

Well I have flow alot on simulators with my controler. A non-traditional made plain would be kind of neet though. I was thinking of eventualy making a 1/2a pusher with canards on it.