Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Foldable Props for Norvel .061 ??

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Foldable Props for Norvel .061 ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 03:01 PM
OBG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Foldable Props for Norvel .061 ??

Hi everyone,

I have a 2M glider with a power pod. I use a Norvel .061 glow engine and am wondering if there are such things as foldable props for glow engines. If so, please let me know where I can purchase them ( i.e. web address ).

Thx so much,

OBG
Old 11-10-2004, 03:34 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Foldable Props for Norvel .061 ??

The only ones I'd trust on a glow engine with this much performance are the carbon fiber bladed ones used by the F1J and F1B free flight crowd. They are NOT cheap at about $60 US per prop.

Email the crew at www.faimodelsupply.com and ask if they can get them and what sizes. The smaller F1J options would be best for the Norvel.

All the other options are for electric motors and I would not trust them for a glow engine with this much power and given the rpms it needs to run at.
Old 11-10-2004, 05:50 PM
rrragmanliam
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok I'll state upfront that I know nothing about this but, I have a couple of thoughts. If you put a powerpod on a glider with an engine, I would think you are already increasing the drag on the plane a bunch. The folding prop will diminish the effect some when not running but you are talking about a propeller that cost's more than the engine. Personaly I'd go with the APC 5.7x3 and live with it. You can but alot of fuel with the $58.00 you save.

Darren
Old 11-10-2004, 07:01 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

You're right Darren, I missed the bit about the power pod. I was thinking of one on the nose of the model. Fixed is the way to go with a pod fer sure!
Old 11-10-2004, 09:09 PM
rrragmanliam
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Bruce How ya doing?, Hope you didn't think I was trying to shoot your post down, that wasn't my intention. Heck I didn't even know you could get a folding prop for a glow engine ( strike that one up to my modeling naivete'). But it's excellent information reguardless. For all we know OBG could be participating in some crazy glider/ glow/ pod compition and is looking for an edge.

OBG sorry for refering to you in the third person it's a MF hangover!

Darren
Old 11-10-2004, 09:38 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A folding prop on a glow model would have some "cool" factor, if cost wasnt too crazy high... and carbon fibre would be sweet. But a little harder to hand flip maybe if its a folder?

I would think you could machine an aluminum hub, with aluminum "hinge" points that the blades could be molded onto. Hmmm... a future project? Wouldnt/shouldnt be that difficult. Man I need more time....

AJC