Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Control line welcomed here?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Control line welcomed here?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 11:08 AM
tperry2054
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Control line welcomed here?

I'm about half way through building 12, 1/2a planes for my grandkids for Christmas. Two different designs, a solid wing trainer and a built up wing, profile stunter. All to be powered with baby bee .049s. I will be making some full body planes for the older ones after they learn how to fly. I can upload a picture or two when done. I would be happy to send the plans if any interest.

I do enjoy the engine chatter here and am not above converting RC designs for my CL use.

Tom Perry
Old 11-17-2004, 11:28 AM
mclintock
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Control line welcomed here?

I for one am interested in 1/2A control-line..
The control line forum is sort of slow, but it does get read and answered often enough..
I sometimes think that things like slow and park fliers are absorbing prospective 1/2a control line fliers.
Lotsa times, when I describe control line to someone, they think flying on lines in a circle is silly, then spend many times the cost of a fleet of control line gassers on rc electric to go stand in a gym and fly in a circle,only they stand outside of the circle.
Excellent christmas present! lucky kids
Old 11-17-2004, 02:06 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Pics and plans are always nice... Sounds like some interesting planes.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:16 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the forum should be open all models powered by 1/2A and down. Many of the posters here fly C/L, some on the competitive level. While the majority of the threads are dedicated to R/C, I would be pleased to hear and see what others are building and flying in the C/L and FF designs.

the "other" andrew
Old 11-17-2004, 07:46 PM
combatpigg

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Give us your poor, your tired, your controlliners, your free flighters, we just don't want to hear about your .60 sized stunt ship here!
Old 11-17-2004, 07:55 PM
beenie
My Feedback: (9)

I personally have no interest in flying C/L airplanes
But you control line guys have some of the best engine and construction knowledge
I'd be interested to hear more from the C/L community
1/2a is 1/2a, its an engine size, not a control method
Old 11-17-2004, 08:52 PM
DICKEYBIRD

You haven't really lived life to its fullest 'til you fly a 100 lap final with a "clunky" 'ol reed-valve powered sheet-balsa racer on 35 ft. lines....with 2 other tired old fat guys in the center of the circle with you....with 3 pit stops performed by equally hilarious old guys on the outside of the circle. You either laugh 'til you puke, go around in circles 'til you puke or run around the outside of the circle 'til you puke trying to pit the racer....or all of the above! MAN it's fun!

Yup I'm cool wid the ukie talk!
Old 11-17-2004, 10:14 PM
combatpigg

Those guys are the masters of the old finishing techniques, new finishing techniques,& advanced construction methods. The speed guys are at the front of the class with prop and engine know how. There is much to learn from the stunt and combat gurus too. If you ever get a chance to look at a copy of STUNT NEWS, do so! It is the greatest modelers' mag ever, every issue is a masterpiece, full of plans, tech info and links to custom supplies.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:30 PM
newtech

I would bet that more of us started out with C/L than R/C. I actually have a profile Sterling P-51 ukie down stairs just waiting to be finished. Also have a vintage K&B Torpedo 19 waiting for it. Picked both up on the Bay. Sure, stick around.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:22 AM
ramcfarland
My Feedback: (44)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm for 1/2 A Controline here ;though no bigger as pointed out in an earlier post .
These days we all fly R/C of course then out of curiosity I bought a 1961 Model Airplane News magazine off e-bay to read what the "big boys"were doing way back when I was just getting started with *Comets 'Structo Speed Kits;' as I skimmed through the old M.A.N. magazine ( there it was--->) an ad put out buy the then very popular Cox Thimbledrone Co. out of Santa Anna Ca I think-- 'Well,'pictured in their ad was the very same version P-40 Warhawk I recieved Christmas 61! The early proto types were all Tan with an INVERTED Cox Superbee. I'm like building giant scale stuff at present but dropped every thing to try and locate one..[sm=lol.gif][8D]
Old 11-18-2004, 05:28 AM
bogateer

There's an issue here? RC is okay....C/L is okay....I prefer C/L. Seems a fair number of other folks here do to. Here's to getting dizzy.
Old 11-18-2004, 09:09 AM
Fix-it

Fast Richard,

As I'm sure you've discovered if you went looking on da'Bay for a Cox P-40- things have changed! Those " plastic, non-flying, rock on a string,piece of garbage, etc." that we tried to do loops with as kids are now bringing big money. I've been trying to get a fwd canopy and an elevator for my Cox Stuka for a couple years now- but I won't pay $20 + for 2 pieces of plastic. Stuka's often go for $125 +, a nice early P-40 in the same range. I used to buy them at garage sales and swap meets for $5-$10.

I guess if we hadn't taken the motors out to use in balsa planes and thrown the broken planes away there would be a lot more old Cox warbirds around and the price wouldn't be so high. SIGH!!!
Old 11-18-2004, 10:18 AM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

I cut my modeling teeth at 12 years old with a Cox PT-19 C/l! I had it two years before my friends dad showed me how to start the .049. My buddy and I put in more hours of .049 running over the next 2 summers then most people will do in a life time.

Later,
Tim
Old 11-18-2004, 10:37 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OK, I'll be the first to step up with a pic. This is a copy of a Scientific "Little Bipe" designed by Walter Musciano. The kit version was my first powered model airplane. I did not build it, I traded my "Daisy Defender" BB gun for it. It was powered by a OK Cub (.049). This one has an Anderson Spitzy .045.
I also have another "Little Bipe" that is maroon with white wings and elevator/stab and powered by an old Babe Bee.
The rest of my old 1/2A CL stable consists of a Veco "Scout" from Joe Wagner (its designer) plans and two "Bluetail Fly" planes, both powered by Atwood .049's.
On a more modern note I have two Sig Skyrays plus a couple of Skyray look-alikes (All Cox powered), and a Brodak Basic Trainer (OK Cub .049 powered). These are for teaching kids to fly, although I haven't done that in a couple of years.

George

Edit: BTW, the left-handed prop is just for this pic. The Spitzy has a normal crankshaft. Also, left out two Golden State Spitfires, one with a BigMig .049, the other with a dieselized TeeDee .049. I like 1/2A.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56346.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	194059  
Old 11-18-2004, 08:06 PM
phuffstatler
My Feedback: (20)

Here's a link to the Queen Bee from 1960, a little .020 hot rod biplane.... [link=http://philhuffstatler.com/page2.html]Phils Plans[/link] They used to fly this Indoors!

I haven't built one yet, as I'm out of usable .020's...

Hey GCB, as a BTW, I've got an original built Scientific Pitts with a Thimble Drome .020 on it, and a kit NIB also right with it! It sure is neat...

phil in georgetown

Name:	Rp43555.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	194272  
Old 11-19-2004, 07:56 AM
gcb

Phil,

As luck would have it, I have a full size (as it was in the mag) plan for the Queen Bee that one of the guys online sent me along with a Musciano plan. The QB was designed by Larry Scarinzi. I have a couple of PeeWee .020's waiting also. Probably build a couple within a month or so.

Nice little ship.

BTW, I ran across the mag after I received a copy of the plans. If I remember correctly, Larry flew them on a stage in a school.

George
Old 11-19-2004, 03:52 PM
Jim Thomerson

Larry flew that airplane at the Vintage Stunt Contest in Tucson a couple of years ago. As I recall, it flew lazy 8's just fine.

Jim
Old 11-19-2004, 07:04 PM
William Robison

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Okay.

While c/l does indeed have its own forum, and I think the c/l planes discussion should stay there, here's a picture of one of my planes that just happens to be both 1/2A and c/l to boot. Yes, I still have it, and it has not flown since 1960.

Bill.

Name:	Ol31682.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	194515  
Old 11-19-2004, 10:10 PM
kdheath

One of our guys has a Sig SkyRay with a BigMig that easily does overhead eights and the cloverleaf. If you can find better bang for the buck buy it.

When I was a kid, we flew plank wing 1/2A "combat" ships. When it ran out of gas, you whipped it to your pit man, who caught it out of the air, refueled, started and released it without it ever touching the ground.

If you can find a Goldberg Lil Jumpin' Bean, build that with a BW. Still a blast after all these years.
Old 11-19-2004, 11:31 PM
xanaphyst
My Feedback: (17)

I had a cox P-40 when I was young...we never did get that tank to fly but I had the most fun just hearing the engine run.
I cut my flying teeth on a sig skyray that looked great. I still have the blackwidow I used to fly it with. I've often thought
of doing another and teaching the kids in the neighborhood to fly.

xanaphyst
Old 11-20-2004, 12:01 AM
jessiej

My first "gas" model was a Jim Walker Firebaby with an OK Cub .049B.

jess
Old 11-20-2004, 12:34 AM
combatpigg

My DAD flew 84 missions in a P-47[during WWII], but he had a heck of a time with a COX P-40 on a XMAS morning back in '64[:@]. He never was interested in model aviation after that experience!
Old 11-20-2004, 11:58 AM
Jim Thomerson

If you are an AMA member you can go to the online archives and check out the Cheap Thrill, Dec, 1998. It is one of my 1/2A CL stunt airplanes. I think one could make an RC version as there is a good bit of room in the fuselage, and the wing is thick.

Jim
Old 11-20-2004, 03:38 PM
gcb

ORIGINAL: William Robison

Okay.

While c/l does indeed have its own forum, and I think the c/l planes discussion should stay there, here's a picture of one of my planes that just happens to be both 1/2A and c/l to boot. Yes, I still have it, and it has not flown since 1960.

Bill.
Pink Lady?

George
Old 11-20-2004, 04:19 PM
William Robison

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

George:

Never named it, but the color is international orange, camera didn't get it right. Engine is a Space Hopper. The plane is a Bryant Thompson design, built from a pan and fiberglass top he supplied.

Best speed was a little over 102 mph.

Bill Wisniewski is the one who had pink speed planes. Since his wife went to all his contets, I think the color might have been her idea.

Bill.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.