Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Lil Bubba Flight Characteristics?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Lil Bubba Flight Characteristics?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2004, 06:26 PM
FREEBIRD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lil Bubba Flight Characteristics?

I put one of these together over the holidays with a .049 Norvel and A MAS 5.5X4.5 prop. On 35% nitro it feels like it has plenty of thrust. How do these little guys fly? I'm used to fast brushless electric delta's, but not quite this small. They sure are cute, kinda like a mini F-18.

Thanks.
Old 11-30-2004, 11:16 AM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Lil Bubba Flight Characteristics?

You'll need a smaller prop. Like a cox 5x3 or similiar. I was waiting to see if anyone had flown one of these. They are neat looking.
Old 11-30-2004, 12:25 PM
mr_leffe

Any chance of a picture?
Old 11-30-2004, 01:01 PM
xanaphyst
My Feedback: (17)

I've been checking those out for a while myself...I'd like to hear what others have to say about them..look like a fast little machine..a 061 would have them smoking fast I bet..

xanaphyst
Old 11-30-2004, 04:00 PM
hfenn

Here's the one I built 3-1/2 years ago. Picked it up from Aspect Aviation at the Toldeo Show on '01. Mine weighs 13.85 oz. with a Norvel .061 CL engine and MPI Microbe servos on aileron and elevator. No throttle control! I wanted to keep it light. But I did use a Hitec Supreme Rx and 110mAh NiCd battery. Flight characteristics. Launches fairly easy with a quick, level toss. She is fast, and the sound from the 5.7 X 3 APC adds to the effect because it screams on 25% nitro. Loops are big, but her strong point is the very fast roll rate. You need to be quick on the thumbs and between the ears for this one. My favorite thing to do is climb real high until she is just a speck, push down into a vertical dive, allow the speed to build a little (remember the engine is still wide open), then peg the ailerons. Next I have my trusted assistant (I can't overemphasize trusted) call "PULL" at the last possible moment to stop the roll and pull up
elevator to miss the ground by just a few feet. Needless to say this is a crowd pleaser and gives me a natural high also. I usually save it for fly-ins now. I rarely fill the 2 oz. tank in order to avoid adrenaline OD.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82511.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	198078   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn42108.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	198079  
Old 11-30-2004, 06:14 PM
FREEBIRD

Thanks for the info, mine looks just like yours, I did it in yellow as well. I used dual aileron servos in the wings. I have a 6X3 prop maybe I'll try that. Will the 049 fly it? I have an 061 but I thought it may be overkill, I was also tempted to put a 3 turn brushless in it. It was a nice building kit, I don't see them to often.
Old 11-30-2004, 06:18 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Cut that 6x3 down to 5" and it'll be right. The norvels are very sensitive to having too much prop. My .061 has a 5x3 on it.
Old 11-30-2004, 06:36 PM
hfenn

.049 will fly it, but I agree w/ PT, don't over prop it. None of my Norvels are happy on 6-3 unles I had 4 head shims, then it was more suited for a floater type plane. Get an APC (or three) 5.7-3 or 5-3 and let 'er sing! BTW, my buddies say APC stands for Awfully Painful Cut Use a starter!
Old 11-30-2004, 09:11 PM
FREEBIRD

Thanks, I'll get the props and be ready to go. Gotta love these fast little planes. Everybodyhas an electric parkflyer these days, when my flying comrades pick these up and see them fly, they are quite intrigued, I seem to be the only one in my flying bunch building and flying these little planes. It's always cool to be different.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:06 PM
xanaphyst
My Feedback: (17)

I bet it would scream with a MAS cut to 4.25 +4.....you would likely have to get someone to give it a hard throw for you on take off but the
top end would be sweet !!!

xanaphyst

PS...come to think of it.....I'd love to do one with a CS and a pipe....