Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

"1/8A" Guillow's B-25

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

"1/8A" Guillow's B-25

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 08:12 AM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: "1/8A" Guillow's B-25

ORIGINAL: BMatthews

Found a great supplier for cheap carbon tubes that could be used for the landing gear as layed out above. Check out http://www.cstsales.com/CCPlates.htm . I'd even consider using some short lengths of solid carbon rod as wheel axles. Carbon core of about 060 for the axles through the tube legs, glue on a 3/32 aluminium sleeve and then make the wheels out of soft balsa sleeved with 1/8 aluminium for the bearing.

Here is another [link=http://www.goodwindskites.com/goodwindskites/merch/list.shtml?cat=framework]source[/link] for carbon rod and tubing -- inexpensive and good service.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:50 PM
Rendegade

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh yeah, I remember seeing those plans.

Very nicely drawn.

I didn't know that guillows did a PBY.

hmmm, *cogs start to churn*
Old 12-07-2004, 08:28 PM
50+AirYears

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If you're looking for some interesting rubber powered FF models to convert to powered CL or RC use, take a look at Penn Valley models. I think the current catalog must have a couple hundred models from several manufacturers. They run from about 12" span to over 50", and they include reproduction kits from Megow and several others.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:16 PM
MICRO-FLITE

Today is December 7..."A DAY THAT WILL LIVE IN INFAMY!" I remember going to see the movie MIDWAY in 1976 with my brother. They advertised in the paper that MIDWAY would be shown with "SENSA-ROUND." They brought in a special sound system...numerous speaker enclosures to surround us in sound. Some of the bass woofers had four (4!) foot diameter speaker cones!! At the beginning of the movie they stated that they had used as much actual war footage as possible in the movie. As you probably remember the movie began with General Doolittle's raid on Tokyo with B-25's. When they fired up those 1700 H.P. radial engines on the B-25's, I could feel the cuffs on my pants and body hair moving. Today, my brother reminded me that the whole darn building was shaking! We watched in amazement as the B-25's launched from the deck of the Hornet -- what a sight! Man, we were with the Doolittle raiders right down close to the ocean's surface, zooming over the waves and small boats at sea. Then you could see the coastline coming up and we are headed right for the trees. We pulled up just in time to clear the tops of the trees - WOW - what a wild ride! In a few minutes we are over the industrial area of Tokyo and bombs away! You could not only see the explosions and plumes of fire and smoke coming up, but you could actually feel in your gut the tremendous concussions of the exploding bombs. You no longer were sitting in a theater watching a movie. Your imagination was overwhelming! You felt you actually were a crew member in a B-25 doing a Doolittle raid on Tokyo! I will never forget that theatrical experience for the rest of my life!

Roger
Old 12-07-2004, 10:32 PM
Andrew

ORIGINAL: MICRO-FLITE

...... General Doolittle's raid on Tokyo with B-25's. ............. You felt you actually were a crew member in a B-25 doing a Doolittle raid on Tokyo!

I will never forget that theatrical experience for the rest of my life!
The father of one of the faculty members at the University where I work flew on the Doolittle Raid. Last fall I had the privilege of hearing him speak at a seminar -- he was a grand old gentleman, a superb speaker and told stories both funny and serious about the raid. Also in attendance were two WWII fighter pilots.

Some of our posters may be WWII veterans -- I'm sure many more of us had parents that served (my late father was in the South Pacific and supported landings on Iwo Jima and Okinawa). I think it is important, especially on this day, that we seriously consider the freedom and opportunities we have now, owed to a large part to the contributions and sacrifice of hundreds of thousands some 60 plus years ago.

the "other" andrew
Old 12-07-2004, 10:35 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Great memories Roger! I got much of that same feeling when I first saw the Longest Day and later the Blue Max.

Year's later I read the book "30 Seconds Over Tokyo" about the training and the raid. It was quite a book and says a lot about the pluckiness of the airmen of the day that so many would volunteer for that mission.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:03 PM
MICRO-FLITE

Here is The Guillow Story I promised from the December, 1960 issue of American Modeler.

Roger
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38114.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	571.0 KB
ID:	200574   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51076.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	302.0 KB
ID:	200575  
Old 12-07-2004, 11:23 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Roger:

Thanks. Interesting.

I knew Guillow's was started after the war, I just had the wrong war.

Bill.
Old 12-08-2004, 12:15 AM
MICRO-FLITE

ORIGINAL: Andrew

I think it is important, especially on this day, that we seriously consider the freedom and opportunities we have now, owed to a large part to the contributions and sacrifice of hundreds of thousands some 60 plus years ago.

the "other" andrew

We never can be too thankful for the ultimate sacrifice they made for us!

Roger
Old 12-08-2004, 01:35 PM
jessiej

We never can be too thankful for the ultimate sacrifice they made for us!

Roger

Or for those who continue to make such sacrifices today.

jess
Old 12-08-2004, 06:46 PM
MICRO-FLITE

Being a wife of a retired serviceman and mother to three sons who served, I may be self serving here, but I feel the families should also be remembered for their past and present sacrifices.

Laura
Old 12-08-2004, 07:01 PM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

Absolutely! My thanks to all of them! Past, present, and future, and to those that have supported them throughout the years.

And for those of us who are still out here,
Thanks, brothers and sisters! Get 'er done!
Old 12-10-2004, 12:01 AM
MICRO-FLITE

Will two .010's fly a GUILLOW B-25?

To answer this question, I recently researched over forty years of model magazines. My research paid off! What I was looking for was a "1/8A" R/C model that has approximately the same lifting wing area and ready-to-fly weight of my "1/8A" Guillow B-25. This would give me a close enough comparison to make an educated guess on the flying performance of my "1/8A" Guillow B-25, based upon the known performance of a previous "1/8A" model.

In the June, 1977 issue of FLYING MODELS there is a construction article for Bob Aberle's "1/8A" LIL' Eaglet. Bob's model has a 22" wingspan and a wing area of 99 square inches. Ready-to-fly weight is 8.8 oz. However, Bob said: "In fact I have no doubt that the model would fly equally as well at a full 10 ounce total weight." At that total weight many experienced R/C modelers would be surprised by what he said under Flying in his construction article: "The Lil' Eaglet is definitely a high performance model...."

The LIL' Eaglet and the Guillow B-25 have approximately the same lifting wing area and ready-to-fly weight. The LIL' Eaglet has less drag than the drag of the B-25, but according to the RCM FLIGHT TRAINING COURSE, streamlining to reduce drag is of little value in slower flying R/C models. Also, the lift generated by the models two different semi-symmetrical airfoils would be probably not that much different. In fact, the B-25's wing appears to have greater volume for greater lift.

Bob Aberle, who was technical editor for FLYING MODELS, said his LIL' Eaglet definitely has high performance with one screaming .010! However, my Guillow B-25 will have two (2) screaming .010's!! Based upon Bob's reported "1/8A" flying experience, shall we get out our paint brushes and paint "skyrocket" on the sides of our twin engine "1/8A" B-25's?

Roger
Old 12-10-2004, 01:53 AM
BMatthews

That it'll fly I have no doubt. I'm truly surprised to hear about that 8.8 oz Eaglet flying so well. I personally consider my 5.5 oz Littlest Stik to be OK but somewhat marginal.

So when are you starting on the B25? And please make the free flighter in me happy and tell us you're going to replace the wood for the parts in those heavier sheets.

That Catalina is still egging me on as well. No 010's for THAT model though. A couple of 020's would work well though.

Roger, when you start glueing wood together be sure to post up lots of pics.
Old 12-11-2004, 04:19 AM
MICRO-FLITE

Bruce,

I really have appreciated all the brainstorming that has been posted on this thread by you and other RCU members on how to successfully build and fly an R/C "1/8A" Guillow's B-25. I will be responding to these posts in the days ahead.

I have built extensively with contest balsa and still have quite a stockpile left. So I will replace the heavier balsa sheets with lighter ones. Your right, the lighter they are the better they fly!!

The "1/8A" Guillow's B-25 project is challenging, so I am still in the problem solving and planning stage. My brother and I have quite a dialogue going on this subject. Today I cut 1/2" off each tip of a COX .020 prop (4-1/2"D x 2" P). I carefully balanced the now 3-1/2"D x 2"P prop. My .010 "R/C" ENGINE runs and throttles perfectly with this prop and idles so low that my B-25 will sit dead still on the runway on idle. The success of this propeller test was important, because I now have a lot of propeller out in the open air away from the nacelle, so I probably have solved the thrust problem. (However, I will have a variety of props available during flight testing.) The greater diameter and pitch of the 3-1/2"D x 2"P propeller compared to the diameter and pitch of the standard .010 propeller will provide approximately the same airspeed, even though it will be turning at a much lower top-end rpm (16K). You should hear the quiet, low-pitched and smooth sound of the .010 "R/C" ENGINE with this prop - it is really cool! Two of them running together at the same time will be even more exciting! I can see why Bill loves those multi-engine R/C planes!

More later, [sm=sunsmiley.gif]

Roger

www.micro-flite.com
Old 12-11-2004, 05:08 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Roger:

ORIGINAL: MICRO-FLITE
Two of them running together at the same time will be even more exciting! I can see why Bill loves those multi-engine R/C planes!
Right. But the Tiggerkitty, with its pair of AMD 0.061 engines sounds like a swarm of angry bees. The C 3/10, the 40 Tigercat, the Duellists, and the Twin-Airs with their two stroke engines sound a little throatier, but not much. The Cessna Crane (Bobcat, T-50, UC-78) with its twin Saito engines is beginning to sound like an airplane. If a certain gentleman on the "Left Coast" ever gets his butt in gear and finishes the engines for my new large scale Tigercat, I'll make a recording of two seven cylinder radial engines running together. Now that WILL be a sound.

Getting back to our B-25s with their "Twin-O-Tens" I don't think the sound of a couple gnats will really be a selling point. But they will make a good try toward getting more respect for small insects.

Haw. Tongue firmly planted in cheek. Any twin sounds good, so long as both engines are making noise. It's when one stops making noise that the real fun begins.

Bill.
Old 12-11-2004, 10:31 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some suggestions on servos go to hobby people on line , they have a very very tiny system for $149 , it is extremely light .
ALos as stated before "DARE" out of Maryland has soe good power options for these type of modles.
Old 12-12-2004, 02:12 PM
SERCEFLYER

Hey, I just found this video of an electric 36" (10-12 oz AUW) P-38. The slow passes are really amazing. This model is just begging for a pair of IC engines. (no offense to the electron burners out there.) Just some inspiration for those of us new to small twin-engine models.

Check it out:

http://www.mountainmodels.com/P38promo.wmv
Old 12-12-2004, 03:29 PM
ghendrix01
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a thread about the Guillows B25 I started about a year ago. I have the plane stored in its box as I have been busy with other projects for some time. I don't know if I will ever get back to it but here is the link to the thread. It has a pic of the framed up plane. Good luck with yours.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_12...tm.htm#1239120

George
Old 12-14-2004, 12:49 AM
MICRO-FLITE

I have been pouring over the plans to build the "1/8A" Guillow's B-25. It is going to take some time to build this little bird, so, when it is done, I better find some soft ground to fly over. On second thought, I wonder what ever happened to the Hornet aircraft carrier that General Doolittle used to launch his raid on Tokyo? Doolittle was trying to sneak in his raider's B-25's within four hundred miles from Tokyo, but got detected, so he had to make a premature launch from six hundred miles out. Maybe we can get lucky this time and sneak in really close to Tokyo for our raid. The nacelle's on our "1/8A" B-25's are surprisingly large -- plenty big enough for some relatively large balloon tanks, which are over 80% lighter than the weight of conventional clunk tanks. Each .010 "R/C" ENGINE is only burning .05 oz. of fuel per minute at full power. With the extra fuel, we will have good flying range and heavier wing loadings to really groove, even if there is some wind. We will use General Doolittle's tactic, by flying right down on the deck -- zooming in over the ocean waves and, then, the tree tops. Our little .010's, with 3" diameter props for maximum horsepower, will be buzzing like a swarm of angry bumble bees. They will think they kicked a bee hive! We will catch them by surprise, just like the Doolittle Raiders did! Our raid on Tokyo surely will be a success, unless they RAID back! You know...if they use cans of RAID insect repellent and maybe fly swatters to shoot down our darting buzzing little "1/8A" B-25's! If they have that kind of defense, then, I guess we are going to have to take evasive action and BUGout!!

I see you smiling, General! You DO know that we are having just a little FUN!! [sm=sunsmiley.gif]

Roger

www.micro-flite.com
Old 12-14-2004, 03:04 AM
BMatthews

That got you a big GROAN from me Roger

And you just leave Japan alone. I need Kawasaki to keep making motorcycle parts and not go back into aircraft production to shoot down your Doolittle-little planes! Besides, how much payload could one of those carry? Maybe a large firecracker?

Old 12-14-2004, 04:03 AM
vauxhall

I haven't read all the replies to this thread, but there is an old b/w movie called "30 Seconds Over Toyko", shows the actual footage of the B-25's taking off from the carrier and how Doolittle planned the raid. Google the title and you can probably find a copy. Very good movie, shows what happened when some of those brave crews reached China following the attack.
Old 12-16-2004, 11:03 PM
MICRO-FLITE

ORIGINAL: BMatthews

And you just leave Japan alone. I need Kawasaki to keep making motorcycle parts and not go back into aircraft production to shoot down your Doolittle-little planes! Besides, how much payload could one of those carry? Maybe a large firecracker?

Bruce,

I told my brother that you believe our little "1/8A" Guillow's B-25 can only carry a small payload, "Maybe a large firecracker." My brother's comeback is that a "large firecracker" can blowup a fuel storage facility. You had better stockpile Kawasaki motorcycle parts, while we are building our "1/8A" B-25's, because when our B-25's are ready for flight, we just might bring the Hornet out of dry-dock!

Roger [sm=sunsmiley.gif]

www.micro-flite.com
Old 12-17-2004, 12:36 AM
BMatthews

Old 12-21-2004, 01:32 AM
MICRO-FLITE

The pictures are of Bob Aberle's "1/8A" LIL' Eaglet (22" wingspan; 99 sq. in. wing area; 8.8 oz. ready-to-fly weight). Bob said his R/C installation weighed 4 oz. (Cannon two-channel SUPER-MINI R/C). In the construction article for the LIL' Eaglet in the June, 1977 issue of FLYING MODELS, Bob described the LIL' Eaglet as "A HIGH PERFORMANCE MINIATURE R/C DESIGN - for SUPER LIGHTWEIGHT RADIO SYSTEMS". (Notice its low drag design...probably why it way outperforms our chunky "Littlest Stick", even though the LIL' Eaglet is heavier.) With today's amazing MICRO R/C, you could install "FULL-HOUSE" (4-channel!) R/C that weighs only 1/2 oz. - including the flight battery -- for SUPER HIGH PERFORMANCE "1/8A" MICRO R/C! A small balloon tank would provide over twelve (12!) minutes of flight time at full power. Today, the LIL' Eaglet would fly like a hot little pattern ship! You could put it through its paces right out of your local pea patch! You could fly it off a postage stamp!!

Roger

www.micro-flite.com
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63989.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	205170   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej13340.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	205172  
Attached Images  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.