Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Norvel wobbly

Old 12-25-2004, 03:04 AM
azenigma

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Norvel wobbly

My Norvel .061 has a very slight wobble. I notice this when I look at the spinner and spin the prop by hand. It is only a small amount, but just want to see if this is normal, and if not if it will cause problems.

Thanks
Old 12-25-2004, 09:03 AM
Larry Driskill

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Norvel wobbly

There are several possible causes:

1. When you grip the spinner in one hand and the engine in the other and try to move the spinner side to side and up and down, is there any movement of the crankshaft in the crankcase? A tiny, tiny bit of movement is OK. If there is enough movement that it seems as though you could fit a thin piece of paper between the case and crank then that is abnormally loose.

2. Try another prop. If the prop face is not true, both the spinner and tips of the prop will run out of true and wobble. I bet a donut this is your problem. ( If it is not . . . please give me some notice before you come to fetch the donut as I don't keep any donuts in the house and will have to go collect one).

3. The prop bolt might be bend. Unlikely, but roll it on a flat surface to check. If so . . . I will throw in a new one when you fetch the donut.

4. The thrust washer / prop driver could be the problem. Norvel has used a couple of different methods/ setups. Again, I have not observed any bad Norvel drivers.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:19 PM
azenigma

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well I hope you have a krispy kreme nearby ;-)

It was #3, I rolled the bolt as you suggested and sure enough it was bent. Luckily I was able to bend it back. Wobble Gone!

I appreciate the help!
Old 12-29-2004, 08:23 AM
Larry Driskill

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If send your address I will send a new bolt, but you will have to drive 11 hours East for the donut . . .