Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

went flying today

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 05:31 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default went flying today

after the last crash, and since we are in a warm spell, I had to get something ready to fly, well I make a new front end, bolt on the golden bee , get to the field today and fire it up, well it isnt screamin like it ought to but the tach says its runnin 17,000 rpm..so I toss it and it just kinda floats down about 50 feet,,doesnt hit very hard..wait,, to back up, it wouldnt run when I got there so I took it apart and blew out the tube and in the process I kinked the reed, rolled a screw driver over it until it was flat again and put it back together , well its running now but only like 7000 so that is the prob, I need a rebuild kit, cause this is one of my favorite engines,the other problem is the tach also said it was running 27,000!!..when it hit the servo tore loose, so I ran the fuel out of it and when it ran out it didnt jump up in speed at all so I know its screwed up, but I think I may have another engine I can strip and reglue the servo and try again tomorrow,,supposed to be nice all weekend and into next week..so are there any other of you guys flying this week......Rog
Old 12-30-2004, 06:30 PM
rrragmanliam

Default RE: went flying today

HI Rog, Man it's always somthing isn't it! I tried twice this week with the Half wit and had mechanical problems with the .074 both times. On tuesday one of the cylinder to case screws was out and when I took the head off to tighten it down I found out the threads in the case were striped. Went home disassembled and repaired it for another try on the following day. Wednesday I fire up the HW and only get about 6000 RPM at WOT, crap somthing is very wrong. The problem was that I am a moron. When I reassembled the .074 I inadvertantly put the cylinder in wrong ( off 90 deg. anti clockwise). I cant even believe it ran at all. I forgot my hex key set so I had go home again. Today it's blowing like heck (25-40 MPH).

Not a good RC week.

Darren
Old 12-30-2004, 07:21 PM
flyinrog

HAHAHAHA!! yeah but it's a "DRY" wind right?..Isn't your state a windy place as a rule?? hey I found another engine but the reed isnt a 4 point star it's a oval piece of plastic (I think), are they interchangable? I would assume they are but hate to keep taking the engine off the plane and messing up the holes if not........Rog
Oh Darren, thanks for volunteering with the shirt thing....I appreciate it!!
Were all morons sometimes, its a guy thing ,inherent you know,,I forgot this afternoon the engine started up and the prop hit the table and immediatley started to run backwards so I put my thumb and forefinger on the prop hub to stop it and look up in time to see another guy at the field, eyes wide in amazement, I guess he thought I was gonna grab the prop
Old 12-30-2004, 10:30 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

See how you are.... Sure you go fly when I am stuck in SC. You know I will be flying this weekend![X(]
Old 12-31-2004, 02:20 PM
rrragmanliam

Hey ROG, Check it out, I distroyed my Half-Wit today. Fourth and final flight, bringing her in to land, at about 3 feet off the ground the right wing diped a bit so I gave her some left aleron, then WHAM left wing into the ground resulting in a most spectacular cartwheel. I forgot I had my radio on high rates. Bummer!!!

Darren
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	He97451.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	208735   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu62180.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	208736  
Old 12-31-2004, 03:16 PM
flyinrog

Hey at least it was spectacular!!..At least you built and flew yours, I cut out all the parts ,built the wing, got the arrow shaft, built the frame, and set it in the corner cause I didnt figure I'd be able to fly it anyway,,but I did like the design, kinda got caught up in the moment....what is the other plane in the 1st pic? at least you have it to fly with too...I have 20 planes now in various stages of disrepair ,, from kits in boxes to crashes in pieces...oh and the design contest coming up with the four star in 1/2a form...I should get a count on how many engines I have?..Rog
gonna try the flying thing again tomorrow
Old 12-31-2004, 06:13 PM
rrragmanliam

Hey Rog, Actualy the HW is suprisingly easy to fly. It's really a docile flyer on low rates with the throttle just cracked open up to about 50% open. This plane will stay airborn at a crawl that will stall most wings. You should finish yours, you won't regret it. It is absolutly my favorite plane!! (Thanks Jeremy)

I have had the same problem with too much on the plate. Finally I just buckled down and dedicated my efforts to finishing one plane before moving onto anthing else. It wasn't easy, my mind was always on the next project. I think everyone gets excited about new projects, then about 1/2 way through, the drudgery of getting it finished sinks in. That scenario has always been a problem for me. In fact it is right now. I have a HOB mustang, Herr Pittts, and the 1/2 A contest plane going all at once. I've decided to put the P-51 and Pitts away and get the contest plane done (even though I havent even started it, It's no more than an idea in my head right now). So how screwed up is that! I'm going to quit building two that are well on there way to completion, to start a new one. Go figure. Oh and now I need to repair the HW. I can't leave it in the mess it's in.

Rrragman

PS- The other plane in the pic is a .061 powered Ace Simple 400. An excellent flyer I would highly recomend it.
Old 12-31-2004, 08:07 PM
Dukester
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to back up Rrragman, on low rates the HW is a *****cat with no bad tendencies. On high rates its a real treat and will roll like crazy. Set the ailerons to 1/2 inch up and down and about 3/4" on the elevator and rudder and you won't be surprised. Then double or triple those for highs and away you go. I actually fly mine with big throws and a bit of exponential in the A/E and its the bomb but has a real gentle feel if I baby the sticks a little.

Funny to see your crash Rrragman, I tried to make the runway with mine after running out of fuel the other day and plopped it down on its tail. I had the mini hinge points on the elevator and rudder and broke the elevator off clean. Got to get it fixed as I still have a few days of vacation left next week and the kids will be back in school. [8D]

Duke
Old 01-01-2005, 08:31 AM
rrragmanliam

Hey Dukester, After reading your responce I checked my radio and I had no negative exponential mxed in my aleron high rates. I sent my radio back to Futaba in september for a check up and of course it came back with the memory erased. When I programed my planes back in I didn't put the expo on any of the high rates. DANG!!! It cost me a plane. The HW is repairable though.

Darren
Old 01-02-2005, 12:19 AM
burtcs

I went flying today at a local RC Club's Annual January 1st Polar Bear Fly In. They always have hot dogs and a raffle (absolutly nothing to buy, just show up and register). Always worth going to even in driving rains or falling snow. So I threw a 1/2 Texaco in the car and drove out there. I won a gallon of 25% fuel and finally a Lanier RC Stinger 60 ARF in the raffles. There may be a moral here I'm not sure - I didn't drink too much Rum last night and manged to get into bed without help or I did manage to get up at the unearthly hour of 6:00 AM and show up.

Regards - Steve B.
Old 01-02-2005, 07:26 PM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Rog,

You sure had a run of bad luck. For what its worth I thunk the new plastic reeds have worked better for me - probably because my Reedys tend to sit unused for extended periods and the brass ones attract mold or moss or something.

In response to your question about flying this weekend, I can tell you that I have made it a high priority to fly on Jan 1 each year. This year it was a piece of cake given the wondeful weather we C1/2AC people have enjoyed. The only small plane I flew was the Blitz delta with the .061 Norvel - a real screamer and a rolling dervish. We had a dozen or so people at the JCAC field. They ate three packages of dogs. Two 'regular' crashes and one mid-air (both landed under control - way to go guys).

Actually, I went out for a couple of hours today (Sunday) too.

Looking forward to the 22nd - and my new hats. I have a table reserved so i can get rid of a few kits/models I know I'll never build/fly.