Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

4 Channel reciver for Focus 4 radio?

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

4 Channel reciver for Focus 4 radio?

Old 01-17-2005, 04:48 AM
hcker2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 Channel reciver for Focus 4 radio?

Well I'm just starting to get back into this hobby and I'v found all my gear (packed away) except my 4 channel receiver. So I guess it is time to get a new one. I was wondering what one you would recomend for the Focus 4 transmitter I have and for 1/2A flying. The servos I have are HS-80 micros so it would be great if I can get a reciver that will work with them. Looking to spend as little as possible but if there is one that you feel is worth the extra money feel free to let me know.

This is the one I was thinking about http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXRT25&P=0
Old 01-17-2005, 05:16 AM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

Default RE: 4 Channel reciver for Focus 4 radio?

The feather is good, but keep it close. It doesn't have the range capability that some other receivers have. What kind of plane are you going to put your gear in? Other alternatives are Hitec Electron 6(I use them in large glo powered planes also), FMA has several that are good also. There are so many receivers out there with similar size and weight, it really boils down to your personal preference. Almost any receiver will work with your HS-80s, all the signals are the same.
Welcome back! [8D]
Old 01-17-2005, 08:41 AM
Mopzilla

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DON'T get the feather! It's for park flyers that stay close to you. Buy something reliable, like a dual conversion receiver like the Electron 6, also check out the Hitec Super Slim, Micro 555, etc. These are all good and cause no problems. The Super Slim is cool because all the plugs are on the side of it, and not on the big wide flat top panel like other receivers. I've found this to be very useful in my latest setup. Plus, it's got 8-channels, so you can plug in some gadgets like batt monitors, do the flaperon mixes, etc.

what plane are you using? [&:]
Old 01-17-2005, 09:37 AM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hcker2000 --

Welcome back into the hobby.

As already mentioned, some of the park flyer receivers have a shorter range and may tend to glitch more when flown with one or more other flyers. With the slower speed of the park flyers and the fact that they are generally flown closer in than wet power, the glitch/range characteristics are usually not a problem.

I like the Hitec equipment -- the Electron 6 is a bit lighter then the 555 Micro and does have an additional channel (although a 6 channel 1/2A may be stretching it ). If you're going to be flying in a club environment, you will likely want to stay with a dual-conversion receiver for good signal filtering. There are other good radios out there and many on this forum fly other brands with good success. My experience has been mostly with Futaba TX's and Hitec RX's.

You can expect to spend around $53 for the 555 Micro and about $55 for the Electron 6. Crystals must be purchased separately ($7 - $9). Other sources you may want to check are [link=http://www.quantummodels.com]Quantum Models[/link], [link=http://www.servocity.com]Servo City [/link] and [link=http://www.balsaproducts.com]Balsa Products[/link].
Old 01-17-2005, 10:43 PM
hcker2000

Thanks for pointing out that that was a cheaper (price and performance) receiver. Seems like every one likes the Electron 6 so I'm going to go check it out and so long as its not the size of my hand that should be exeptable and has the extra channels I would need if I went to a bigger model. Thanks for the warm welcome. The plane will be one of these three: Stealth Sport, Shrike, Aggressor (I will probably end up building all three and just switch the reciver between them and just buy enough servos to leave in each plane). For the most part I would be flying with two other people. Now thats not to say I would never go to some thing with more people if the even ever would arise. So what is this dual conversion stuff about? Also is it the transmiter or the reciver that dose survo mixing (for using the ailerons as an elevator like in the Aggressor)?
Old 01-17-2005, 11:20 PM
Andrew

ORIGINAL: hcker2000

So what is this dual conversion stuff about? Also is it the transmiter or the reciver that dose survo mixing (for using the ailerons as an elevator like in the Aggressor)?
Here is a [link=http://www.bergent.net/SC-DC.pdf]nice article [/link] on single conversion / dual conversion receivers.

Channel mixing occurs in the transmitter -- the receiver simply decodes the signal and ships positioning information to the individual servos.
Old 01-17-2005, 11:47 PM
hcker2000

Alright I'll read up on that. I guess I'm out of luck with the mixing then as I'm almost 100% sure that the focus 4 dosnt do any mixing

I supose some thing like this would do just fine? http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXELT4&P=7
Old 01-18-2005, 12:34 PM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Yep, that'll do just fine. If you want to save a few bucks over the electron, also check out the HFS-04 and HFS-05 from Hitec. They're around $30 w/o crystal, single conversion, but very stable and exhibit good range.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:43 PM
scudrunner77

You missed this thread a week ago... http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/LITE...2480361/tm.htm

Found it pretty informative. I went with the Electron 6. Don't worry about it's size, I was surprised at how small it is. I know you only have a four channel radio, but you never know when you will want to step up to a 6.

The back servo is a HS-81, and blue ones are HS-55.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39405.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	217083  
Old 01-18-2005, 10:52 PM
hcker2000

Thanks for the pic that realy helps. My old 4 channel that came with the controler was about 2x as wide as that. I think I have settled on the electron 6 reciver and an elevon mixer later. Will my transmiter handle the dual conversion?
Old 01-19-2005, 12:04 AM
scudrunner77

It does not matter- you can use single or dual conversion receiver's with your radio. Looks like the Focus radios are an older model, it is FM right and not AM. Assuming it's FM then the electron 6 will work fine, just make sure it is negative shift and of course the right channel number....
Old 01-19-2005, 12:46 AM
hcker2000

Yep its an FM transmitter. Basically I was just wondering if I use my radio if the receiver was going to function in dual conversion mode or not? Or if it will role back to some other mode that is more susceptible to interference?
Old 01-19-2005, 01:12 AM
scudrunner77

If it's dual conversion it will always be dual conversion. I think dual conversion receivers "filter" the signal more... Maybe some else can elaborate on this...
Old 01-19-2005, 02:09 AM
hcker2000

Alright I'll search around google as well to find some info out about it. I like the idea of just spending $55 right now to get a model up and flying and then another $11 to get a eleron mixer for an aggressor after I learn how to fly a bit.

I did not find much info on google
Old 01-19-2005, 09:23 AM
BuzzBomber

Peter Berg wrote an article about single vs. dual conversion FM receivers; unfortunately, I can't find the link at the moment. Basically, the way it works is that single conversion setups use a single crystal, whereas dual conversion setups use dual crystals(hence the name) to 'mirror' the signal for filtering. Neither kind cares what transmitter you use as long as it's on the correct FM frequency and pulse shift(negative for hitec). So, your Tx will be fine with the electron(good choice)-just make sure you get the hitec/futaba version and the correct crystal.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:28 AM
Andrew

ORIGINAL: Matt Smith

Peter Berg wrote an article about single vs. dual conversion FM receivers; unfortunately, I can't find the link at the moment.
It's in post #6 above
Old 01-19-2005, 09:39 AM
BuzzBomber

ORIGINAL: Andrew

It's in post #6 above
Hey, it's like the old purloined letter trick! So obvious I didn't see it.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:45 AM
yankee samurai
My Feedback: (175)

Hitec 555 receiver for Hitec Tx is on sale at Hobby People for $39.99. That's a $13.00 savings.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:05 PM
hcker2000

Thanks for the info. That should get me all set up and flying as soon as all this stupid snow gose away (what ever happened to global warming? lol)
Old 01-21-2005, 05:33 AM
hcker2000

If I do eventual upgrade I was wondering what you guys thought of this http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGZS6&P=6 ?