Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Futaba G connectors anyone? Help!!

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Futaba G connectors anyone? Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 12:57 PM
meowy84

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Futaba G connectors anyone? Help!!

This is not strictly a 1/2 question but since I spend most of my time here and the people are nice here it goes: I have a NOS surface radio and the receiver takes the old style Futaba 3-prong G connectors. Unfortunately I only have one servo with the said connectors. So what I'm looking for is some G connectors with their wire so that I can spilce it onto one of my newer J style servos. My LHS can't get any. Any ideas where I can score a couple?

Ideally I'd prefer if I could get a G connector on one end and a J female connector on another so that I don't have to cut my servo's wires so I can switch the servo between the old and my newer radios.
Old 01-18-2005, 01:44 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Futaba G connectors anyone? Help!!

[link=http://www.towerhobbies.com]Tower Hobbies[/link] part numbers: LA6418 and LA6419 these are very pricey

or

Radical R/C : [link=http://radicalrc.secure-mall.com/shop/index.php?shop=1&cat=55&cart=269604]Futaba G[/link]

If the link fails for Radical RC, use www.radicalrc.com and choose:

Radio Switches, Connectors & Harnesses --> Futaba G (old)

These are pigtails only.

Give Radical a call -- they will likely add Futaba J connectors for very little extra. Tower is about 5 times as expensive.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:07 PM
meowy84

$7.59 plus shipping at Tower?!?!?! They must be crazy!! For another $2 I can get a whole servo! (a cheapie servo mind you but still...)

On the Radical site the price is $3 (reasonable) and it seems (if you look at the pic) you can chose the Futaba G-to-Futaba J connection at that price. But you mentioned that it's just a pigtail.........maybe I'll give them a call and ask. I just hope they don't have a 'radical' flat shipping rate. LOL
Old 01-18-2005, 02:21 PM
Andrew

ORIGINAL: meowy84

On the Radical site the price is $3 (reasonable) and it seems (if you look at the pic) you can chose the Futaba G-to-Futaba J connection at that price. But you mentioned that it's just a pigtail
I believe the Pigtails are $2/ea or 5 for $8. If you can't get Radical to terminate them reasonably, buy 5 and I'll terminate them for you. Dave Thacker is pretty good at making up anything you might need.
Old 01-18-2005, 03:58 PM
Deadstik
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me look when I get to the shop.. I might have a couple

Deadstik.....[8D]
Old 01-18-2005, 04:18 PM
meowy84

Andrew, they're $2 per single G pigtail? So if I get one and then add another $2 for the female J connector......that'll be $6 (almost Tower's price) per complete conversion connector if they're $3 each like Radical's site states......plus shipping of course.

Deadstick...any rummaging through the shop would be helpful. Ideally I need 2 for 2 servos. heh heh
Old 01-18-2005, 04:29 PM
Dukester
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got some older standard size Futaba servos with the G connectors in a plane. If standard size is ok, I'll trade you two with the G connectors (and some pigtails from G female to J connector to use with newer RX) for a couple of standard J servos (any brand fine).

Duke
Old 01-18-2005, 04:46 PM
Andrew

Meowy --

Standard J servos have a female plug. To use standard J servos with a G receiver, you need a G style male and J style male. Radical will sell 5 G style male pigtails (no plugs on the other end) for $8 -- if Duke or Deadstik don't have what you need, buy 5 pigtails only and I'll add the 5 J style male plugs -- my treat.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:51 PM
meowy84

Dukester, I have only 1 standard size servo with the G connector that came with the system when I bought it and 2 newer Futaba J connector mini servos that I have from another system and since I only have the 3 servos total they have to share duty between 2 receivers for two different vehicles (a car and a boat that I'm scratch-building) so a conversion connector is my ideal solution so I can swap the servos back and forth between the 2 different receivers.

While on the subject, the 2 mini servos have been used in a 1/12 scale gas r/c car...not sure how they'd be for a plane. I read somewhere (maybe someone can correct me) that servos used in a high vibration environment like a nitro car/boat shouldn't be trusted for plane use...true or false?
Old 01-18-2005, 04:59 PM
meowy84

Oh dear, now I'm confused. Ok here we go, maybe I can explain and double check. The intended receiver is G style. And the 2 mini servos have the newer Futaba J connectors. So my conversion 'wire harness' should have a male 3-prong G connector on one side (to plug into the receiver) and a J style male on the other to receive the J servo plug. Is that correct? I guess I thought that since the servo end of the J connector plugs into the newer J receiver the servo end was the male and I would need a female J end for my wire harness to plug my servo into.
Old 01-18-2005, 05:30 PM
Dukester
My Feedback: (31)

If you want, I'll trade you straight out two of the std G plug servos that will go straight to your G RX and their pigtail adapters to convert them to J plugs for use with new RXs. I can always use smaller servos.

If you decide to go with just the pigtail offer from Andrew, then no worries. Whatever works best for you. The plane these are in is sidelined waiting on a new motor, so either way is ok with me.

Duke
Old 01-19-2005, 11:27 AM
ghendrix01
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Meowy,

I thought I would chime in on this. When I worked at a lhs, I would remove and replace the G sockets with 3 pin headers. With this change the J servo connector would then plug in. Below is a pic of the conversion.

George
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44018.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	217496  
Old 01-19-2005, 02:49 PM
meowy84

Dukester, I wish I could but I need those mini servos since regular sized ones won't fit in the 1/12 car.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:41 PM
ELTIGRE

I see HOBBY LOBBY sells G series splicers in the catalog # 44 - pg.117 ----$4.90 each.
Old 01-20-2005, 01:21 AM
Frank Schwartz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I still have quite a few of those old G connectors. If you will email me your name and address, I will send you, say, half dozen. I don't use them any more.