Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

2005 Contest Entry for Newtech

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

2005 Contest Entry for Newtech

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 12:46 PM
newtech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Contest Entry for Newtech

This years entry is going to be a YF-22 Raptor. The entire airplane, with the exception of the vertical and horizontal stab's, is going to made of two vacuum bagged carbon fiber moldings. Power is going to be two AME .061 Norvels each driving a custom ducted fan. The fans are going to be similar to the fan developed by JapanMan.

I have a Kress RK709 with a Webra Speedy 2cc that I am using for design inspiration. Hey Combaatpig and JapanMan, what RPM range do you think I should shoot for? These are going to be unmodified AME .061's

Last years entry, that never got finished, will hopefully get finished during this years contest.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92485.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	220420   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy80339.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	220421   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va70829.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	220422  
Old 01-25-2005, 01:22 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: 2005 Contest Entry for Newtech

An ambitious project to say the least. This should be an interesting thread.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:25 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Hi STEVE! This should be a winner! About what to shoot for? I defer the inquiry to my esteemed colleague, Mr JAPANMAN for further technical assistance, because I don't have a clue. He has a few tricks to make the reciprocating assembly lighter and run more smoothly. Larry D has shown a couple of his declassified AME tricks[8D], one of which is to relieve some of the material off the crank main journal, except leave the extreme ends alone, this will make the crank rotate better. The other trick he showed was to remove a MASSIVE HUNK of the piston skirt from the intake side of the piston, almost all the way up to the wrist pin hole[X(]! It works, I did these 2 things just a couple of months ago and went from 26K to 28K, just like that, with a 4.2x4 wide blade prop..
Old 01-26-2005, 07:11 AM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Whoa, awsome dude! Makes my poor effort seem childish. I am humble in your presence.
Old 01-26-2005, 08:41 AM
newtech

This contest is a great motivator to get us working on the projects that have been in the back of our mind for a long time. My, still uncompleted, entry from last years contest was such a project. I had been wanting to make a mold from a fabric covered model. Well I did it and learned a lot in the process.....just didn't get the model finished. This years project probably won't get finished either but I hope to end up with a working fan unit and the molds to be able to eventually finish it. All I could think about while following Japanman's Mig was I sure wanted to make my own fan.

The YF-22 plug was part of an old project that only got as far as carving the basswood plug. I figure there is still enough design work to go in the model that I'm not cheeting too much using the plug. Still have to design the rest of the structure as well as make the molds and fans, etc.