Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Simple AT6 wing

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2002, 07:44 PM
BUCKETOBOLTS
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simple AT6 wing

I started a Simple AT6 the other day and when I got to the wings I decided to sheet them with 1/32 balsa. I could not find any aerosal spray glue without the acetone. So I attempted to sheet the wing with Probond as I did on my larger planes. I have always had great success with this method, but I always had the wing shucks to place everything in to hold in place. So the little ace wings are injection molded and I had no molds to place them in for glueing. I sheeted them one sheeet at a time placing bags of lead shot on the half I was sheeting. I had not noticed till yesterday that the wing has a terrible bow in it now were I guess the wood has drawn up. The dihiedral is now gone and the tips point down.

Any suggestions on a fix or should I try to get another set of wing cores?
Old 09-05-2002, 08:44 PM
DICKEYBIRD

Default Simple AT6 wing

Yup, methinks you can forget that wing. You need to get another wing; just cover it with low-temp film covering and it'll come out a lot lighter and be plenty strong enough, especially if you put some strapping tape on top & bottom.
Old 09-05-2002, 10:13 PM
fastlash
My Feedback: (7)

Default next time

next time sheet them first then join them !! first glue and cut your sheets to a little oversize then apply glue, let it dry completely, mark centering spots on core and wood, set sheeting on a flat surface, center the core and apply only enough pressure to stick just the center of the core to the wood, then take the next sheet and set it on top of the core in the same manor, then pick up the assm. and from the center out to the L.E. and the T.E pinch the top and bottom pieces together at the same time working down to each end of the wing, then trim and join the two halves. remember that 1/32 takes very little glue to hold a bond, o
OH yea you need new cores!!!!
Old 09-19-2002, 01:38 AM
rtarcher

Default Simple AT6 wing

Say B O' B,

Do you have any pics of your progress? I'm nearly done, and will forward pics to you, if you wish. Without actually seeing the current state of your wing, I'd say new ones would be in order.

Todd
Old 09-19-2002, 10:24 AM
BUCKETOBOLTS
My Feedback: (1)

Default Simple AT6 wing

I'm trying to find the cores with the swept leading edge and straight trailing edge. The only ones I can find around are either double tapered or a constant cord. I guess I will have to call on Ace to find them. If I can find another kit cheap enough I would just start over.
Old 09-19-2002, 06:25 PM
fastlash
My Feedback: (7)

Default wing cores

there were some on ebay just go to hobbies only type in ACE and check it out.