Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

NORVEL TALK

Old 01-29-2005, 07:42 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default NORVEL TALK

Hi y'all....been tinkering with an old style AME, the object is to get a good runner for diesel and throttle. The original case and crank combo feel super, no wobble in any axis but nice and free. I can flick the prop with fuel for a lubricant and it spins easily for a couple of seconds. The P/L set is a AME REVLITE replacement as well as the rod. After doing a trial fit /assembly there was a noticeable pinch at TDC, but there was also a pinch at BDC too[]! I pulled the backplate and the pinch went away, hmmm....the back side of the piston skirt was touching the backplate, so I took a dremel grind wheel and cut a slight bit off the piston skirt. Now a trial fit feels good, there is very little turning resistance until you hit TDC. With an APC 6x3 and 30% nitro it put out 19000 and 7500 at idle with an old G MARK carb. The next thing to try is diesel with a 7x3 APC but I couldn't get it to run. Either the head needs the o-ring replaced, or I need to get some fresh 1/2A blend fuel. I want to get a baseline with the stock rod [on diesel] and then with my beefy "diesel rod".
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90513.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	222395  
Old 01-29-2005, 08:32 PM
combatpigg

Default RE: NORVEL TALK

Here's a shot of the diesel rod. The beam is oval shaped and the big end has more meat than stock. The case has enough clearance for even more bulk at the big end if need be.

Name:	Ay73863.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	222418  
Old 01-30-2005, 01:31 PM
combatpigg

Here's another engine that has been on the junk pile, a G MARK .061. It has a P/L like a COX and came with a clamp on muffler and carburetor. I don't have any numbers to quote but it was a dog, a good running dog, but never-the-less a dog. Problem is the crank shaft broke. I vaguely recall ANDYs' mention about crank swapping, so I did a quick look and found a NORVEL crank with a slightly smaller shaft dia. and length. I made a bushing out of mild steel to fit the NORVEL shaft and then milled the front of the case back to where a thrust washer rides on the crank snout. The stroke seems to be just right! The last details will be to finish the venturi and do a ball socket[:'(]resetting. After that it will be interesting to see what it tachs!

Name:	Sq47946.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	222702  
Old 01-30-2005, 02:47 PM
Larry Driskill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

Here's another engine that has been on the junk pile, a G MARK .061. It has a P/L like a COX and came with a clamp on muffler and carburetor. I don't have any numbers to quote but it was a dog, a good running dog, but never-the-less a dog. Problem is the crank shaft broke. I vaguely recall ANDYs' mention about crank swapping, so I did a quick look and found a NORVEL crank with a slightly smaller shaft dia. and length. I made a bushing out of mild steel to fit the NORVEL shaft and then milled the front of the case back to where a thrust washer rides on the crank snout. The stroke seems to be just right! The last details will be to finish the venturi and do a ball socket[:'(]resetting. After that it will be interesting to see what it tachs!
Hey Pigg, all this work on a sport engine from a guy who must have buckets full of sporty engines and who called my far less extensive milling efforts 'diabolical'?

I think there may be time for you to build a .0490088 Norvel. Here's the shopping list: AME .049 piston and sleeve, AME .061 crank, .061 rod, and then do that fillin'/cuttin' stuff to turn it all around and make it a rear exhaust.
Old 01-30-2005, 03:50 PM
combatpigg

HEY LARRY...... nothing that I'm doing here is gonna leave guys scratching their heads and thinking," Why's LARRYs' engine louder than mine? I can't even hear mine running!"
Old 01-30-2005, 08:56 PM
combatpigg

Well I guess I could have found something better to do with my time[&o]...... The old G MARK runs but it could only manage a wheezing 15K today. I found the piston to head clearance to be .030", so I cut the head to bring it down to a more universally accepted .008". I also lower the liner a couple of thou to restore some of the lost pinch. The engine has pretty good "pop", but acts like it lacks pumping action. Oh well, at least I have a solid foundation to work with, to see if experimentation can bring about some results. Some carefull comparison between a TD liner and this liner should reveal something?

Name:	Nl29717.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	222945