Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Simple 400 maiden today

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Simple 400 maiden today

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 09:01 PM
WMB
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simple 400 maiden today

woohoo, Maidened the Simple 400 today. This thing gets small in a hurry. I needed full right trim and a little down to get it flying straight. The roll rate was a little slow, the elevator very sensitive, didn't fly it enough to get a feel for the rudder. TT07 was leaning out in flight, Would use about 1/2 oz then deadstick.
I need to get less throw on the elevator, more on the ailerons, and get the engine running right. I was using 10% fuel, I've heard these little engines like more nitro so I'll try that. Need to double check the tank install for kinks in the lines.
This little guy is fast, I'm thinking of another without rudder and with Norvel 74.
I hope to get it out again tomorrow. Any ideas on the engine problem? Thanks to all for the previous advice, Mike
Old 01-29-2005, 09:23 PM
muddy69
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Simple 400 maiden today

I run my TT .07 on 25% and it runs flawlesly. The idle and the transition are excellent, its too bad the engine doesn't make more power.
Old 01-29-2005, 10:20 PM
WMB

I just picked up a gallon of Magnumm 30 % heli fuel. Any idea how much and what kind of oil this has in it?
Mike
Old 01-29-2005, 11:19 PM
flyinrog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not familiar with that brand but generally heli fuel is pretty well lubed although its also usually synthetic and the little engines do better with castor, you can add castor, but if its broken in already it may be ok to run as is,,the oil percentage should be on the bottle somewhere, if not check their website and see...you want 20% oil at least 50/50 synthetic/castor....or so the guru's say, so I listen to them (clearly note here that I am NOT one of them).....Rog
Old 01-30-2005, 01:41 PM
Duane-RCU
My Feedback: (5)

S400's are great. My TT.07 needed to be pretty rich not to over-heat and die after a minute or two. After some really good break-in, I can lean on it. I'm in the middle of scratch building another S400, light glass with water based poly on the fuse, only gained 1/4 ounce, including color. Glassed the stabilizer, skinned hinges also. This one will be for electric power.
Old 01-30-2005, 04:02 PM
WMB

One more flight on it today before the wind shut us down. I found a slight kink in my pressure line and got the kink out. Added 2 oz castor to the 30%. Flew great for one tank. That thing is fast. It was overcast today, so it was hard to see. Rolls are fast enough for me now. Loops are tiny or huge. Still didn't get to play with the rudder much. When I killed the engine to land, it hangs onto its speed, but finally slows down for easy landing. The reason it needed so much trim on the ailerons- I cut the ailerons at the end of the wing and glued it to the wing. One side has a little more angle then the other. Had it trimmed for straight and level. Did I say this is fast? I think this is a great plane so far. Now I need to get some air time on it and get it wrung out. woohoo, Mike
Old 02-13-2005, 09:59 PM
WMB

I put 4 more flights on it today. We had big wind, but not gusting. Maybe 20-25 mph straight done the runway. I put a sailplane like landing wheel on the fuse. The pavement is hard on the nylon skids. I've got the hand launch's down now. Now that I've got some more time on it, it doesn't seem as fast. Using the rudder results in weird flight, I was having a heck of a time trying to get it to knife edge. I needed lots of aileron to keep it in knife edge and it didn't look pretty. The engine was acting up a little, found a split pressure line. Rolls are fast, snap rolls are violent and extremely quick. The wind really slowed this down for landing and made launching easy. I know my 4* is not too much fun when it is this windy. It did good in the wind I thought, will get more flights on it. I may disable the rudder, I'll see if I can use it a little more effectively.
Now I'm thinking of building another small plane but would like to up the speed a bit. Any suggestions?
Old 02-13-2005, 10:34 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

What prop are you using on your TT.07?
Old 02-14-2005, 12:02 AM
WMB

The engine is still breaking in, so I've got a MA6x3 on it. I've got some APC 6x3 and 6x4 in APC and MA to try out.
Mike