Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Norvel Muffler port spins

Old 02-02-2005, 12:52 PM
azenigma

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Norvel Muffler port spins

Is it normal for the muffler end to spin around while the motor is running? It makes for a real mess, kinda like a sprinkler head, spraying castor oil around. I was thinking about using a little silicon to stop it from moving but just wanted to see if there are any other fixes.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:27 PM
Andrew

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Norvel Muffler port spins

This is a relatively common problem and can lead to loss of the end cap while you're flying.

First, make sure your muffler spring is correctly seated. On the newer castings, there is a small boss on the front and back of the crankcase just below the lowest cylinder fin. The spring should fit between this boss and the fin. If it is seated below the boss, the muffler sometimes has a tendency to tilt downward. Secondly, make sure the spring clips that slip over the muffler have not been deformed or bent outward when the muffler was reseated. Third, if the clip is spread apart, there will be a tendancy of the cap to work loose -- with the clip laying on a table, the sides should be parallel or bent slightly inward.

Once the endcap begins to work loose, it seems to be almost impossible to retain with the spring alone. There are other possible cures. I usually decide where I want the exhaust to point, clean the cap and muffler body well, then JB Weld it. You may not want to take such a permanent action. Some wrap light wire around the muffler to hold the spring ends together -- this wire wrap is between the muffler and cylinder. You can use hi-temp silicon seal or loc-tite to stick the cap -- at least you have the option of getting it loose if you want to redirect the exhaust.
Old 02-02-2005, 05:09 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If yours is that loose ,your lucky it hasnt come off in mid flight already, I have lost 2 that way but now I clean the wrap off a twist tie wrap it around the groove and around the spring clip so if it does come off I dont loose it.....Rog
Old 02-02-2005, 08:39 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

They make a neat air siren sound though!
Old 02-02-2005, 11:09 PM
Andrew

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

They make a neat air siren sound though!
Yeah -- sounds like a real airplane!! If you fly with a bunch of old deaf guys, then we can hear the engine running.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:13 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Years ago I belonged to a club down the street that did not require mufflers on stuff .049 and under. I used to go out there with under propped TDs and AMEs and stretch the limits of those rules often. Finally one day a club officer nervously approached me and told me I had to put on a muffler from now on. No problem, I put on my spinning muffler and that sucker had to be every bit as annoying as no muffler at all. This club gradually devolved into an ARF-TRAINER-INSIDE-LOOP-ONLY-FACILITY and they eventually bored me into moving on[]! If I work on that acronym a little it could spell,"ALOOF".
Old 02-04-2005, 12:06 PM
azenigma

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for all the help. The JB Weld sounds like the perfect solution. Doubt I will ever want to point the exhast another way.