Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

1/12 CHIPMUNK

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2005, 01:04 PM
obsession

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/12 CHIPMUNK

This is a house of balsa kit I am looking for a motor to use I am thinking about a norvel .074 It should weigh between 14.6 to18.6oz i am thinking it will be closer to 20+oz the way I build, am I in the ball park for the motor, we are at 5000ft on a good day.[sm=confused.gif][sm=confused.gif] BOGIE.
Old 02-06-2005, 01:29 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: 1/12 CHIPMUNK

The NORVEL .074 will getterdun. If you have a target weight of let's say 16 ozs and you are afraid that you might hit 20, try this; gather up 3 ozs worth of scrap balsa and pile it up. then get a mental image of what a 1 oz puddle of glue looks like. This should start looking almost like another projects' worth of material. If you stick to using the onboard equipment and building techniques that you see at this forum , your weight issues should be over. At 5000 ft., I would be more weight conscious than I am here at 50 ft. Some of those capillary CA glue dispensers really save on glue,[ I need to get some more]. Look at the HALFWIT build thread by MATCHLESS AERO for light building ideas.

BTW 1/12th is kind of big for 1/2A, it can work if you are good at leaving wood in the box and substituting heavy wood for light stuff. These 1/12th kits are actually built more for .15 power .