Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

fuse warped

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 09:49 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fuse warped

Am I gonna have to take this whole plane apart to fix a fuse warp or can I sand one side down further,,didnt realize the prob until I put the tail feathers on and then began sheeting the bottom, which seemed to make it worse now its just plain got a twist in it,,the wing tilts left and the elevator tilts right...tell me theres a simple cure for this....Rog
Old 02-09-2005, 10:33 PM
propbuster

Default RE: fuse warped

Flyinrog, How bad is it out of whack? I have the same thing on one of my motor gliders after I broke the fuse in two right before the tail section. I didn't notice it untill after the repair was done and the epoxy had set! It wanted to fly to the right, so all I did was add a little left rudder trim with the clevis and she flys strait as ever. If it's not too bad, I'd say you'll be alright. Otherwise, I'm not really sure of an easy fix, Prop
Old 02-10-2005, 02:34 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

If it's got a twist in it you'll have to peel off the top and bottom sheeting and cut the tail joint open again. The basic twist is probably started by the tail joint being forced into vertical alignment as required by one side being out of alignment further forward or perhaps just the wood has a lot of stress in it and it made the side curve. To loose the tension that started this you need to split the tail joint and then reglue it while allowing it to misalign but keep the sides true as a result. Then sand off the parts sticking up and down or add on shims to make the side match or a combo. THEN resheet it.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:33 AM
flyinrog

ORIGINAL: BMatthews

If it's got a twist in it you'll have to peel off the top and bottom sheeting and cut the tail joint open again. The basic twist is probably started by the tail joint being forced into vertical alignment as required by one side being out of alignment further forward or perhaps just the wood has a lot of stress in it and it made the side curve. To loose the tension that started this you need to split the tail joint and then reglue it while allowing it to misalign but keep the sides true as a result. Then sand off the parts sticking up and down or add on shims to make the side match or a combo. THEN resheet it.
Its a shame I dont understand Canadian,cause in english it looks like that translates to "take it back apart stupid"
Old 02-10-2005, 10:04 AM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How noticeable is it? If the twist in the fuse is very slight, then sand the wing and stab saddles to be straight. If it's too noticeable, then Bruce's way is the only way.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:17 AM
fireman7875
My Feedback: (7)

Rog,

This might sound crazy but I thought I would throw it out there since no one had mentioned it yet. Have you checked the fuse using some empirical method to confirm the warp or just eyesight? Sometimes the grain on the top and bottom sheeting can trick your eyes into thinking you have a warp when it may be straight as an arrow. The way I check is to find the actual centerline at several points on the fuse (formers make good locations) then run a taught string from the nose to the tail. If all the points line up under the string, it's straight. That doesn't, ensure there is no twist; it just confirms that the centerline is good. Minor twists can usually be dealt with by sanding to get the tail and wing in allignment.

Brian
Old 02-10-2005, 08:00 PM
flyinrog

Naw its back apart now ,and not a pretty site,I'm guessing it had about 15 degrees of twist over the length of the fuse and its only 22 inches long,,still not sure how it happen I should have taped the tail together before I put the formers in,I think that was the main problem, but now I cracked up the bottom sheeting taking it apart and I'll have to put it back and then double the bottom sheeting....hope it works...Rog
Old 02-13-2005, 06:17 PM
flyinrog

Either this plane or I am jinxed ya'll.....I get it back together add a second sheet on the bottom and about a 1/2" wide strip along the sides to cover up all the cracks and separations that I achieved during the separation process....got it all straight and sanded and it looks ok, then I pick up the wing to find it is no where near balanced,,, it takes a penny and a dime taped down to the edge of the right wing to make it balance...so I epoxied on the penny figuring the epoxy's weight would replace the dime..well it almost works,, real close to balancing on my finger,,like a dolt ,I'm watcnin the big eye (tv) while I'm doin this and it slips off my finger..as I grab for it, it flips over and I catch it as it crashes through the handlebars of my scooter,,and just too add insult to injury I gotta make the repair on the heavy side of the wing guess I'll be adding a nickel to that side too now..its for a .020 but I may need a .049 before I'm through with it....but I gotta finish this one before I can start on my contest plane..Rog
Old 02-20-2005, 03:40 PM
flyinrog

I decided to fire up the .020 peewee thats going on this plane before I mounted it on the plane...I ordered a rebuild kit and wanted to make sure it ran before I did anything,,well I mounted it to a table in the basement...and it fired on the first flip and screamed for about a minute or so....I have 2 of the pw's one has a much thicker cylinder than the other but its junk, I just bought it for the tank,couple of tabs broken off of it,fins all dinged up , but I think the thicker cyl, is the newer model the other one is thinner but has a lip at the bottom,its the screamer and its going on my schoolboy, may be ready to fly by next weekend......
Rog
Old 03-14-2005, 02:51 PM
flyinrog

Took the fuse and the wing outside sunday as it was nice out ..sprayed it twice with clear urethane and the wood sucked it in dry...you can't even tell it was sprayed! and the 2nd coat I had the stuff dripping off the plane..same thing, dry as a bone...?is it fuel proof like this?..Rog
Old 03-14-2005, 04:31 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

No, but it's much heavier.[:'(] That's why I stick to slightly thinned or warmed epoxy.
Old 03-16-2005, 07:48 AM
propbuster

I've been using polyurethane on my models and have had the same thing happen too. Ptulmer, what do you use to thin down the epoxy? Does it yellow as much or worse than the poly will? Thanks, Prop
Old 03-18-2005, 10:01 PM
flyinrog

Well its finished and supposed to be 60 out tomorrow,,hope to give it a shot,,now I gotta fix a fuel tank for the cox product engine to mount on old faithful the LS150,,wonder if the yard bee wing will fit on the sharkface?..hmmm gotta start on the contest plane and finish up the.......Rog
Old 03-19-2005, 12:16 PM
flyinrog

IT FLEW!! all the pattern guys are out at the field ..flyin there $3k planes so I fire up the schoolboy .020 peewee and get it tuned up and screamin...when they get through flying, I fire mine up and toss it...well it was too windy but I was gonna try it anyway,,it was doin pretty well when a gust of wind nosed it up and then the fight was on,, I kept it in the air until the tank ran out but I knew exactly what happened,,battery pak slipped about 4 inches back and she was tail heavy,,I had it rubber banded down, apparently not enough though..it landed in the swamp and took me 20 minutes to get it back,,then dont ya know the jinx factor kicked in as I got it home safe and in 1 piece, I cracked the wing on the door knob at home,,no biggie (of course it was on the heavy side again) I'm gonna fix it up and try again tomorrow...it felt like it woulda flown great before the batt moved....Rog
Old 03-20-2005, 09:22 AM
propbuster

Rog, Congrats on keeping her flying so far out of balance! And good luck on the second flight. Have you thought of maybe naming this plane "High Jinxs"?