Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

New fuel = big small fun tomorrow

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

New fuel = big small fun tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 01:29 AM
Dukester
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New fuel = big small fun tomorrow

Well, I've been running 15/20 powermaster in all my engines as a compromise between the 1/2a stuff and the bigger engines. I kept telling myself this way I didn't need to keep up with multiple jugs, etc. Well I was in the LHS and they now carry a special blend 30% nitro 20% castor in a 1/2 gallon. Needless to say I now have a big fancy new jug of high nitro fuel to play with and since my wife is taking the kids to her mom's tomorrow it looks like a nice day of 1/2a play.

Duke
Old 02-12-2005, 02:50 PM
John C

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: New fuel = big small fun tomorrow

Sounds like fun! In my Norvel .074 I don't see any diference between 25 and 17.5 (50-50 mix with 10%) nitro. I had to make 2 oz. of fuel into 4 to fly today

It will be interesting to see what 30 vs. 20 does for you

John C
Old 02-12-2005, 06:17 PM
Larry Driskill

Duke, I really like the 30% nitro, 20% castor fuel mix and use it most of the time.

What is the brand name of the bottle you found?

John, If more nitro doesn't result in more power and you need more power, you might try reducing the compression just a tad (with the hotter brew) and see if that helps.
Old 02-14-2005, 02:39 PM
Dukester

Well you know it was a heck of a weekend if I don't even check the boards. So here is my update on the fuel.

First off it just comes in a jug with no markings other than a handwritten sticker which says 30%N/20%C. According to the guy at the LHS, the guy who does the Witches Brew makes it up special for them.

As far as running it, I only got to run two tanks of it on Saturday. The wife went away with the kidlets and I went to the field to find..... 15 to 20 mph winds with variable gusts up to 25. Pretty much everything but the bigger planes with clean lines (pattern type) was getting blown around a bit. I ran a tank of the 30% on the ground in my Norvel .061 on the Halfwit. I didn't tach it, but it had a nice steady high end which I judge (from the sound) to be better than the 15%. The surprise was the low end as I got a nice steady idle requiring just a bit of babying on the throttle to get it to wind up after extended idling.

Finally worked my nerve up enough to get on flight in on the HW even with the wind. Not a great idea, after fighting the wind for about 4 minutes I figured I'd better get in. Made a low pass to check wind and went up to come around again when the engine drew some air and quit. Managed to glide back in but knocked two of the small hinge points loose on the rudder.

But compared to later, that was nothing. Flying my last flight with my Seagull Spacewalker, I went into a spin on purpose up about 200 ft and did my best Spacewalker flat spin (about 30 degrees nose down ) down to about 70 ft. Fed in opposite rudder, a little aileron, and neutral elevator. This usually stops the spin and puts me into a steep dive which picks up enough airspeed to pull out maybe 40 ft off the ground. But this was not a usual day as even with my normal correction I ended up spinning through another 3 or 4 revolutions before I could get it out. By this time I'm only about 45 ft up when I get out of it. I make a short dive and try to start pulling out about 30 ft, but in the end I just ran out of airspeed and I stalled it about 15 ft off the ground. Left wing dropped and a very satisfying crunch was heard by all. Hit at an angle on the wing and fuse so hard it actually knocked the wing joiner out of both wings and the fuse was totalled. Little bit of a blow as I think I could have probably saved it had I been just a bit quicker to realize it wasn't falling out of the spin right away.

Anyway, grand total for the weekend:
Spacewalker = totalled (gear and engine all in good shape though)
HalfWit = rudder broken pretty much off
Waco 30 = flipped after landing short of the runway, two holes in top wing covering
H9 Texan = Hole in wing sheeting after someones plane blew off the table on it

Might have been better off if the wife had stayed around.....

Duke
Old 02-14-2005, 05:49 PM
jcflysrc
My Feedback: (50)

Dang Dukester...dont feel bad, its been a tough week. I dorked my Pheonix Giles at the end of the runway this morn. Tried to drag it in too slow and it snapped. No real damage done...broken prop, some new dings.

Sorry to hear about the loss of the SW. Thats gotta bite. Look at the bright side, gives you an excuse to go shopping!

Jim C
Old 02-14-2005, 07:18 PM
Dukester

Yeah, I can't complain. I had actually made a deal for a Kyosho Pitts 40 airframe that I think the Surpass 52 and the servos will fit nicely in now that they are just taking up space.

Duke