Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Its raining, its pouring, and I cant go flying.

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Its raining, its pouring, and I cant go flying.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2002, 10:52 PM
skimmer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Its raining, its pouring, and I cant go flying.

I have just finished my 1/2a pylon racer and I really want to fly it, but its been raining for about a week and hardly ever lets up. Do little novel .049's run good in high humidity? I just want to fly but I dont want to ruin my plane with all the water, has anybody flown in rain and is a good idea to do for a first flight in it? Anyway, I love 1/2a and think everybody should get into it.
Old 09-11-2002, 11:08 PM
Digger-RCU

Skimmer, you dont really need anyone to answer this post do you? I mean, you already know the answer dont you? anything we say here will be meaninless anyway. Folks who want to do things they know they shouldnt, will do what ever they want no matter the advice. As much as we might want you to listen to the commen sense inside you, we will be waiting for the crash or destruction story should you go fly in the rain anyway!

Randy Digger Birt

PS, the above message is ment to be lighthearted, I sure hope I have not offened
Old 09-11-2002, 11:09 PM
hack

What is rain? Move to Cali. J/K you shouldn't fly in rain, water would get sucked in to the carb. Or on a sec. thought, Go for It! Let us know how is goes.

Hack
Old 09-12-2002, 01:53 AM
PAINLESS
My Feedback: (19)

Flying in the rain would be bad, especially if your RX got wet some how.

However, high humidity combined with low temps means horse power. Its like poor mans water injection, ask any drag racer how much better their car runs on a cool humid summer night. Has something to do with more dense air getting packed into the combustion chamber.
Old 09-12-2002, 03:53 AM
whstlngdeath
My Feedback: (15)

Default Rain?

Fly a sim instead. I've been caught in a downpour at the field, but
everyone just packed it under the covered pit area, including a
40% Extra 330 we had to coax under there with us. Flying off of
the puddled runway, (paved), sure was interesting, though!
Old 09-12-2002, 04:25 AM
skimmer

Its just ironic that here in Utah we have been in a drought for months, and the whole time I am building my little plane. As soon as I complete it, it starts raining. Hopefully it wont rain tomorrow but it probably will so I don't know what I will do. My plane is a little p-51 powered by a norvel .049, it has just over 200 sq inches of wing area, the bad thing is it weighs 16.5 ounces. I was hoping for 12-13 ounces but it turned out a lot heavier. Does anyone know if the motor will pull this plane around at a semi fast speed or not?( I built it for 1/2a pylon racing but it seems too heavy.) I am just getting into 1/2a so I don't know what most peoples racers weigh. Thanks for the info so far but don't stop, keep it coming.
Old 09-12-2002, 05:05 PM
fastlash
My Feedback: (7)

Default Rain

take your plane and put it under the front tire of your car, then run over it and the rain will stop, then build another real fast, before it can start again!!!!
Old 09-12-2002, 08:16 PM
skimmer

Fastlash, your a genius, I did what you said and it stopped raining. I will now start a new plane. JK .
It really did stop raining and I think I am going to test fly today.
Old 09-12-2002, 08:56 PM
SRA Foam Flyer
My Feedback: (11)

When I was living in Seattle I dropped something and it rolled into one of those dark spider web type corner crevices found near the refridgerator. Being from the desert there are a few things you learn, never put on your shoes before checking for scorpions, never step directly off a rock(rattler on the other side), and never reach into a dark spider web type corner crevice. Well their was a full size adult RC bug back there and it bit me good, which is unfortunate because of the high number of rainy days in Seattle. I suffered for months trying to relieve the symptoms by building Guillows and Herr kits, it looked like I was improving. One sunny day I happen to come across a state park with a free flying site and I took a turn for the worst and bought some RC equipment. The rainy days didn't care, they just mocked me, finishing a kit, the rain would hang around for a week or more straight. One day I gave in, it was dark and cloudy, raining here and there, now and then, I took a chance and went to the field. Well it was raining there, which was not that suprising. What suprised me was people were flying??? There they were in panchos and other rain gear zipping around the skies. I walked over with what must have been a million questions look on my face and before I could ask one they just said"We have to make due with what we have...Did you bring a plane. Flying in the rain isn't so bad, even if you fly ELECTRIC aircraft.
Old 09-12-2002, 10:58 PM
RSands

Good Post SRA! Flying in light rain isn't typically a problem. Heat shrink covering is waterproof, and servos withstand a great deal of water (and everything else) if just the case top is sticking out of the fuse/wing. Typically, the critical components (battery, radio, servo wires & ESC if electric) are sealed in the fuse where you don't have to worry about them. Tape over the switch/charge jack, and go fly. The glow motor's seem to run fine with some water going over them (probably got something to do with the prop wash), and electric motors are typically easy to cover up. The bad part of glow flying is clean-up. Turns in to a really slimy mess. Almost forgot, make sure it's not a thunderstorm! That transmitter makes a dandy lightening rod
Old 09-13-2002, 01:34 AM
airtammer
My Feedback: (54)

i am glad someone mentioned lightning,rain is bad for the plane yes,but i always wandered if lightning finding a plane would follow it`s signal as well,could be a little hair raising