Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Are these Servos OK?? What about my radio?

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Are these Servos OK?? What about my radio?

Old 02-25-2005, 08:17 PM
AStrovannin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are these Servos OK?? What about my radio?

I'm just starting to build the 1/2A trainer and it seems that all ther servos I have are WAY too big for the plane, I mean they look good and all that, they are Multiplex 65087 (6) and 65000 (1) but they are super huge. I was looking on EPAY for some micro servos and came across these [link=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2563&item=5959676075&rd=1]Yellow[/link] [link=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=34056&item=5958295790&rd=1]Blue[/link] [link=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1200&item=5959761979&rd=1]Purple[/link]are they OK to use cause they sure are cheap. Next Question, my Multiplex receiver is huge, is there any way to use another receiver with it? The transmitter is a "Comander" unit and seems to have about 6 or so channels, but the receiver has 9 whats the deal. What kind of receiver is best, that is if I can use another unit? Any input you guys have will sure be appreciated.

Thanks
Dustin
Old 02-25-2005, 10:43 PM
mclintock
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Are these Servos OK?? What about my radio?

I'd stick with the yellow or the purple ones because they are already in canada- I think the 9 g size are about as small as you should go..
The integrated circuit inside the receiver has nine outputs , and whether the receiver is sold as a four channel, six or nine is only due to the manufacturer bothering to put all the servo socket pins in.. It's probably ok to use the huge rx- some people save weight by taking off the plastic case, but in a crash, the rx would suffer more..
I don't know if your radio is am or fm, if it's fm, you'll need to know the 'shift' when shopping for a smaller receiver, if am, then the futaba am four channel unit (see tower hobbies for example) is small and the only am rx still made.

The biggest heavy thing is the airborne battery pack- for 1/12 scale I think a pack made of four AAA cells would be good, instead of the four AA pack you may have.
Old 02-26-2005, 12:27 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Welcome to RCU.

If you can contact the outfit directly then fine. If you want another option then I can strongly recomend Zebra Hobby out of Edmonton at www.zebrahobby.com . I just spent a wad of money with them buying 8 servos, a Plantraco reciever and a couple of motors. I ordered via the internet on Friday night and had the order on Wednesday. The prices on the site are all in Cdn$.

They have the 371's under the Bluebird name as well as a couple of Hitec options and pretty much the entire GWS servo line. The Bluebird name was new to me but some searches showed that they are as reliable as any. I see they are out of the 371's at the moment there's lots of other options. I personally would suggest the 380 or the GWS Micro or Naro as options. The higher torque servos are a touch heavier, but still MUCH lighter than the standards you have now, but the extra torque would allow you to use these servos in models other than 1/2A's. Or go lighter down to 8 to 10 grams and use them only for 1/2A's or lighter use in medium size models.

You should be able to use another reciever as long as your Multiplex TX is set up for the 72 mhz model airplane band. If it's an odd European TX then you won't be able to get a reciever over here for it and it's actually illegal to use it here.

So assuming your Tx is on a legal Canadian frequency then you can get a new smaller reciever for your Tx at the same time. Looking again at the Zebra site the Plantraco DSP4 as having a good reputation so far but it is newer so all the results are not in yet. The Berg options they offer all have great reputations and they autodetect the control modulation offset automatically so you don't need to figure out what shift option to get. Avoid the GWS recievers as the range is limited and they are only single conversion with a poor rejection of interference possibly leading to lots of glitches while in flight.

A hint, if you have any thoughts about also flying small electric models then go with the small 6 to 8 gram servos and one of the lighter recievers from above. Then you'll be ready to go electric with lots of options. The 6 gram servos will easily fly the LST but I would not want to use them on faster models powered with something like a Norvel 074 or larger engine for larger control surfaces.
Old 02-26-2005, 08:00 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Dustin, go with what Clint said about the servo's... check on theebay for dragonfly under micro servos they are in Canada and great to work with...DONT go with the guy in California...the tx 6 ch and the rx 9 ch is normal... if you buy a 4 chan Futaba tx it comes with an 8 chan rx....I dont have any experience with the parts BMatthews is talking about, but I have used his advice on many occasions and he's a good guy to have up in your area..welcome and keep us posted....Rog
Old 02-26-2005, 08:12 AM
AStrovannin

Thanks for the input, I'l use the Edmonton guy for sure. I'm hoping to get started next week, I still need to get the building board and all that, and some balsa. Its kinda funny, my wife always beefed when I spent money on RC cars, but shes excited about me building planes, somthing about making somthing from nothing. Is there anything overly complex to make on that trainer? Is there a "How To" for doing the covering? I seem to remember that being dificult the last time
Old 02-26-2005, 08:19 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You didnt say which trainer you are building ,but one of the more important things is the CG or center of gravity,, you need to be able to move your radio/battery gear around before you anchor it in place so you dont have to add weight to the nose or tail......are you scratch building a plane from plans??..Rog
Old 02-27-2005, 08:02 PM
AStrovannin

Sorry about the delay there, I'm building the 1/2A trainer, from the plans from here. I figure if I can build and fly that than I will have some decent building experience and have some kind of plane to start with as well. Mostly I want the HOB FW-190, but dont want to spend all the money on the kit to either wreck it putting it together, or crash it to bits the first time I try to fly it. So I figured I would build the trainer and go from there.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:02 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Good choice to hold off on the HOB FW. It may not even be your second model. Third for sure though if you're still keen. But that's about 10 to 20 hours of air time away.

As for the cheap cost and built from nothing aspect be sure she doesn't see the incoming mail order equipment or the price of balsawood....
Old 02-28-2005, 02:50 AM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If you're building the LST 1/2A trainer, I'd recommend Hitec HS81 servos. They are a little larger than the ones the other guys recommended and have a lot more torque. I always like to go with a little extra power on the servos, but that's just my personal preference.

In addition to Zebra Hobby, Great Hobbies ( http://www.greathobbies.com ) in PEI and Edmonton, and Backyard Flying ( http://www.backyardflying.com ) in Quebec, have very good service.