Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Mini Funtana + OS15 = Awesome little plane!!

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Mini Funtana + OS15 = Awesome little plane!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 02:54 PM
ericrcpilot
My Feedback: (145)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mini Funtana + OS15 = Awesome little plane!!

Well here it is. I did a conversion on a Mini Funtana. I used an os15 engine. I still need to weigh it, but by just holding it in one hand and an electric version in the other they feel about the same weight.

Old 02-28-2005, 02:59 PM
AStrovannin
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Mini Funtana + OS15 = Awesome little plane!!

Wow, what a nice looking plane, I especially like how you have the engine mounted. Looks fantastic!
Old 02-28-2005, 06:54 PM
Dukester
My Feedback: (31)

That's a good looking job on the conversion.

The only advice I have is on the RX in there. It looks like a GWS Pico 4 channel? I have a few of these and they do get some glitches, which can be severe. Only a suggestion, but you might want to consider getting a slightly more robust receiver. I assume you'll eventually want to get low and slow with this plane and I personally wouldn't trust the GWS for that, one good glitch and you'll be done for.

For my little 1/2a planes its no big deal, but for something this pretty I would want to have solid reliable control.

Duke
Old 02-28-2005, 08:18 PM
ericrcpilot

Thanks for the info on the GWS receiver. The guy at the LHS said I would have no problems with it. Of course he said that, he wanted me to buy it. Is their a small receiver that you would suggest? I have a regular size one, but was looking for something to shave a couple of oz's off of the total weight. It is a six channel receiver as each wing has its own servo.
Old 02-28-2005, 09:44 PM
Invertedflyby
My Feedback: (15)

Nice Conversion! I was thinking of doing one of these for a Saito .30. You might look at the FMA M5 (or something like that), a Berg receiver, or a JR 700 comes in at .6oz with the case. Also, if you have the $$ get the small voltage regulator from FMA for $22 and you can power your radio with lipolys, a 2s 340 would weigh next to nothing.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:36 PM
mnrcaerobat
My Feedback: (197)

Nice job. When is your flight report coming? What size tank did you mount? It looks like a GP 4oz. Is there anything you wish you would have done differently? I use a Hitec electron 6 receiver in all of my planes. .6 ounces and .4 without the case. THey are also dual conversion, so you get the range.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:45 AM
Dukester

OK, so that is the Naro 6 channel then rather than the Pico 4 channel. The Naro is supposed to be better than the Pico 4 channel, but I don't have any experience with the Naro. I would second the Electron 6 or maybe the Berg 6 channel. Both are light, but a little more pricey at $50 to $60.

You might not have any trouble with the Naro, but I would search around a bit on the boards and read what others have to say.

Duke
Old 03-01-2005, 10:07 AM
Sturtz
My Feedback: (20)

Great job. You'll get around 30 mins flight time with a 4ounce tank. I did the same thing to my Shock3/D and Ultimate Bipe .
Ended up putting an OS-10 on the Shock but when the .15 was on you could do knife-edge loops all day. Tons of power.
Half throttle flying at it's best. And when you go FWO it's a blur going past. Just be careful not to blow the control surfaces off at high speeds.
I used two coats of BalsaRite fuel proofing on both planes and all is holding up well after 6 to 8 flights on each. I also added a front wing bolt to the Ultimate so the wings would stay on better. The OS-15LA really shines on a model under 2-pounds.

Planes shown below without cowlings.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94600.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	236554   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xt60069.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	236555  
Old 03-01-2005, 07:59 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

What a super looking .15 powered plane! It would be hard to improve on that.
Old 03-02-2005, 03:43 AM
XJet
Banned

ORIGINAL: Sturtz
Just be careful not to blow the control surfaces off at high speeds.
Amen to that!

I blew half the horizontal stabilizer/elevator off my 46-sized Katana P last weekend because I was a notch too high on the throttle in a dive.

I'd flown it much faster before but for some reason it just decided to shed half the tailplane and cant the rudder over to about a 45-degree angle. Got it down in one piece though -- fortunately the bit that was left was the bit with the elevator horn on it (phew).

Must be something about the air at the moment though because a mate of mine lost his Extra300 the next day when the wing folded at about 300 feet. He wasn't even throwing it around as much as usual but it just let-go and then dug a huge hole in the ground (it had an ST90 up-front).

Yep, 3D stuff is best performed at *low* speed anyway.
Old 03-02-2005, 03:50 AM
colsson

Who manufactures the Funtana mini ?? Very nice plane!!
Old 03-02-2005, 06:37 AM
RCM IRAQ

HI,
AGAIN, Who manufactures the Funtana mini ?? Very nice plane!!
how i can get a plane sheet for it ? as scratch build the ONLY way for iraqi R/C'ERS
to get a models
Old 03-02-2005, 04:47 PM
Dukester

Its an ARF from Horizon Hobby.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByC...ProdID=EFL2075

Duke
Old 04-17-2005, 05:46 PM
Cvans

I made my first flights on the Mini-Funtana this weekend and all I can say is WOW! .This thing is incredible. It flies like a pattern plane or a bullet depending on your mood at the time. Shrugs off wind beyond belief and lands very well. In an axial spin on high rates my son says it looks like it was fired out of a rifled barrel. He flies a World Models Cap .46 and he wouldn't touch this thing on high rates and would only fly it on low rates if it was waaay up there.
Now that I have that out of my system I will get more realistic. I powered mine with an OS .15 FP. This is not a beginners plane. It is fast and it will flat spin like a Maple seed when the throttle is pulled back. It just floats down at a very low hang angle and stops the spin in less than one turn. One guy at the field said if he had a plane that would spin like that he would do it all day. Snaps spins don't work great for me but axial spins are unbelievable. On high rates they are so fast that you honestly can't tell which side is up. The elevator is also very effective. There is no way that I can describe how fast this little Funtana can change directions. If any of you watched Muddimens (sp?) demonstrations at Ida Grove years ago with his Flying Machines, you will have some idea how quick this thing is. BUT- if flown on low rates it will become very well mannered and is a real joy to fly. You point it and that is where it goes. Take offs and landings are very smooth on low rates and can be handled by any one of slightly more than average skill.
After all is said and done I feel that this has been a very rewarding project and the quality of the Mini-Funtana is first rate all the way. I hope to be enjoying mine for a long time to come.
Chris
Old 04-18-2005, 08:48 PM
Darkace

what size gas tank is in there?
Old 04-18-2005, 10:16 PM
Cvans

I'm using a Sullivan 4oz. flex tank. It is something that I purchased years ago and never used. It is a tall thin tank with the stopper located straight out the end. I have it laying on it's side next to the throttle servo. The only padding is under the hatch. So far no fuel foaming and the little F.P. is running great. I'm using a Master Airscrew 8 x 4 cut down to 7 inches and the motor is turning just under 15,000 rpms. It won't climb straight up but will maintain an 80deg. climb til it is out of sight. By the time I put 4ozs. of fuel thru this plane I am ready to land. Hope this helps.
Chris
Old 04-18-2005, 11:22 PM
Darkace

I was seriously looking into doing a conversion just like this but using a magnum 30 four stroke.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:30 PM
Darkace

I asked this is in another thread but, how does this plane fly in small spaces. Can it be kept in a fairly small area? I fly my zagi razor in the front of my house. and there's enough room to fly that.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:58 PM
Cvans

You will not fly this plane in front of your house unless it is faceing a football field. And that my not be enough room. This plane likes to cover ground in a hurry.
As much as I like four cycles I personaly don't think this is the plane for it. There are a lot of guys out there that will disagree with this but I think that keeping this plane as light ( under 32 ozs.) as possible is very important so as not to over stress the air frame. This thing changes direction very quickly.
Chris
Old 04-19-2005, 09:09 PM
Darkace

so it cant fly nearly as slow as electric will?

So in your opinion, you think that a 2 stroke is better? Is the only reason you say that is wieght?
Old 04-20-2005, 02:01 PM
Cvans

Lets just say that this plane is no "Slow Stick". I have tried stalling the Funtana but it just starts loosing altitude. Give it more throttle and it flies away. The Funtana does not bleed off speed fast, so a longer appoach will be needed.
As far as the four stroke question goes there are guys using up to .40 four strokes I guess and if that is your thing, go for it. I like flying planes that have a good combination of power and maneuverablity. A Hemi powered brick is not what I'm looking for. If I stop and think about it a Hemi powered anything probably isn't in my future.
Chris
Old 05-13-2005, 10:54 AM
RhyanO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quick question for the group.
I really like the idea of using a small glow engine in a mini-funtana.
All I have is standard reciever and servos.
Using standard servos and rec. -vs- micro servos is about 4-6oz.

What kind of flight performance could I expect using standard servos and reciever
powering it with a .15 size engine.

Will the servos fit?
Will it be too heavy?
Any one else using standard servos in this plane?

Thanks much for your feedback,
Ryan
Old 05-13-2005, 02:02 PM
gouda
My Feedback: (69)

I think it would be tough to use standard servos in this plane. You could get away with the rx, likely, but the servos are way bigger than it was designed for. Unless maybe if you ripped it apart and installed them in the wing area somehow. just doesn't seem like a good solution though. Spend the $80 bucks (shop carefully) on some Hitec HS55's
Old 05-14-2005, 06:25 PM
Invertedflyby
My Feedback: (15)

ericrcpilot, What brand and size spinner is that? Very nice plane.

Thanks
Old 05-17-2005, 07:59 PM
ericrcpilot

It's a Du-Bro spinner. I believe it is 1 1/2 inches.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.