Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Mini Funtana-- I can't believe this!!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Mini Funtana-- I can't believe this!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 08:06 PM
AJF--2
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mini Funtana-- I can't believe this!!!!!

After owning the H9 Ultimate with the 400 upgrade, I bought my buddies Tribute--not for the plane, but for the motor and electronics with the idea of getting a Mini Funtana. Well I got one today and rushed home to read all about it on RCU. And to MY SURPRIZE ALL I SEE ARE THE GLOW CONVERSION threads!!!! Is there anybody out there flying this plane with the brushless E-Flight 400??????

(anybody?????? can't believe I am the only one)
Old 03-04-2005, 08:10 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Mini Funtana-- I can't believe this!!!!!

probably in the electric forums...
Old 03-04-2005, 08:24 PM
AJF--2
My Feedback: (119)

Dahhh--Thanks
Old 03-05-2005, 10:12 AM
Zpat
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there anyone who has flown both versions, electric and glow?
Old 03-08-2005, 12:12 PM
odawg1
My Feedback: (10)

I had the e-flight 400 in a GWS 6.6:1 box. I was running smaller batteries (10C 1320 3 cells) so I couldn't draw the amps like the 2100s, but it flew o.k. The .25 O.S. la I have in it now is awesome! I is cheaper than going with the AXI I wanted for it. Half the price for me actually.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:51 PM
whaturi

sorry to drag up an old thread but i am getting all worked up here about this! i have a .25 la and just realized i could use it for this. yeah!!!! check back for pics and maybe videos when i do this.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:56 PM
phuffstatler
My Feedback: (20)

Watch the wing spars when running on glow... Mine bowed enough to make me cringe at the bottom of loops, even with the power off...

phil
Old 01-25-2006, 10:07 PM
whaturi

i will take that into account. what engine did you have on it?
Old 01-25-2006, 10:13 PM
phuffstatler

I was running an AP .15 on it... Maybe a bit lighter, but it seems to run the plane faster than the electric version. You should have plenty of fun with it, it'll snap like nobody's business! The .25 LA is a great choice, as the LA engines idle and transition really well... Better than that AP did...

Phil
Old 01-25-2006, 10:16 PM
whaturi

yeah i had the .25 on a sturdy birdy trainer when i was learning and it was great. ran very smooth. i had a 10 oz tank on it. it never ran out of fuel. it will be cool to see it actually overpowering something! haha
Old 01-25-2006, 10:29 PM
B.L.E.

I saw someone fly a Mini Funtana with a e-flite 400 outrunner direct drive motor and a 2100 mah 3 cell li-po battery. I think that the wheels almost needed to make an entire revolution during the takeoff roll before takeoff, like a flushed quail. Naturally, verticles were practically unlimited.
Old 01-28-2006, 08:13 PM
whaturi

i purchased a mini funtana, spent 8 hours putting my 25 la on it and went to the flying feild. it came out around 28 ounces with out fuel. it has "3d power". it comes down real quick when you cut the throttle. it is flyable and quite fun. i tore the firewall off it on landing. i will re-do the firewall so it can support the engine and take pics. one thing i noticed is it had a serious engine thrust problem. all in all, with the right building up, this thing should be very fun.. and cheap since i had the 25 la anyways.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:53 AM
whaturi

new firewall, new landing gear supports.. battery in the farthest back part of the fuse.

Old 01-30-2006, 08:14 AM
odawg1

I upgraded to alum. land gear and reinforced the firewall w/ epoxy coating and had small basswood stringers tieing in the front former with the firewall. I even cut a thin hobby plywood firewall and epoxyed it to the existing one.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:11 PM
MJD

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, I can't beleive it would hold together with a glow engine on it. I have one, AND I should say that I am a devout glow engine junkie who only dabbles in electric. But looking at my Mini Funtana, I wouldn't even dare hang a .15 or .25 off it. It sure doesn't look like it was made for vibration or that much metal hanging off the front.

That said, it sure flies like stink. I put an AXI 2808/20 on mine, APC 9x4.7 SF prop (yeah it's turning a bit too fast but seems okay) and 3 cell 2100 LiPoly. I have flown it beside one with the stock drive and brushless 400 and it blows it away in level flight speed and vertical - the vertical is awesome. If the grass is long I hold it behind the canopy, punch the throttle and give ti little shove into vertical. Mucho fun! It is by far my favorite small aircraft now.

MJD
Old 01-30-2006, 04:36 PM
odawg1

The .25 LA is the way to go. It's like bringing a bazooka to a knife fight! I was supprisingly low vibration. I am a power junkie and didn't want to spen 150 plus on a serious brushless motor, battery, controller when I could put a $50 motor and have all the power and thrill I could ever need!
Old 01-30-2006, 05:32 PM
MJD

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: odawg1
I am a power junkie and didn't want to spen 150 plus on a serious brushless motor, battery, controller when I could put a $50 motor and have all the power and thrill I could ever need!
Yeah, I hear you there. It really hurts to plunk down more for one battery pack than for many glow engines [:'(] .. and then to worry about them all the time which I still do with the few LiPolys I own. My LHS owner said as I plunked down for two 3S1P 2100 packs "think of it as buying all your fuel at the beginning of the season". Well, I don't use $180 of fuel per season in any one aircraft I own, let alone any of them with a 35" wingspan, so that analogy did little to make me feel good!

I enjoy the few electrics I own, but I am not a convert or junkie. I live in a small village where the community center ball fields adjoin my back yard.. so small electrics totally rule for those quick forays out back for a few flights in the evening. Mind you, I fly .46 sport aircraft there too and the neighbors love the airshow, but I don't do that too much as it is a little tight what with the trees and lights and all that.. light wing loadings and sturdy LG are the order of the day!

MJD
Old 01-30-2006, 06:07 PM
whaturi

im at 28 ounces without fuel.. i wonder what fuel weighs. i saved 1\2 ounce with a wood prop. i wish i could shave just a bit more weight off.

yeah the 25 la is great for this. mind you, i am not trying to build the perfect airplane. this is more of a novelty. i like trying strange things and talking to builders who also do. plus, its cool to have a mini funtana with glow.. i don't disagree with the fact that electric will fly this better and lighter.

now how to get more weight off.. im thinking of drilling some holes and dremeling the engine mount up..
Old 02-01-2006, 07:32 PM
phuffstatler

Mine was 27 ounces with the .15, so you should be fine. It didn't land heavy, at least not to me...

Have fun!

phil in georgetown (and denver)
Old 02-02-2006, 07:27 AM
whaturi

well i flew it before i did all the reenforements, so i know it flies ok.. but i did notice it landed a little fast. maybe that as also partly due to my forward cg. i changed things arund a bit to help with the noseheavy cg.
Old 02-03-2006, 04:05 PM
whaturi

i flew it again after the rebuild. 20 mile winds. i only flew it once but it went ok. i even nosed over on landing and it actually didn't break.

Old 02-07-2006, 06:54 PM
whaturi

i took the 25 la out and put it back in my trainer. mini funtana hangs on wall until i aquire os .15 cv. i hope the 15 will still 3d this plane. the cv is 3 ounces lighter and has almost same power. with the 25, the wing tube bent a little and i canot find much more weight reduction on this plane. anyone have any other glow choices or is .15 best so far?
Old 02-17-2006, 12:38 PM
SquirlNutZipper
My Feedback: (9)

That Norvel .25 is a light little thing. Checked it out at the hobby shop couple days back when I was getting a mount to put my ofna pro.15 in the Mini Funtana. It's got me thinking about using the Norvel instead.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:31 AM
CitatioN10

This is SLICK , im so happy I read up on this thread ,,,Wondering a few things

Can you run the .25LA on the Mini Funtana at full speed ? will the plane actually handle all the abuse ? or do you need to detune the engine some ?

Also what size of tank are you using when doing the .25LA swap
Old 03-01-2006, 04:40 PM
CitatioN10

anyone ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.