Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Wath for cox is this ?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Wath for cox is this ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 02:44 AM
Andry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wath for cox is this ?

Hello

I am new here over this forum. Mine name is Andry i come from the Netherlands live in
Amsterdam. Now is mine question, i have bought a Cox en now I don't no wath for a
cox it is. I will upload a picture of the engine so you can see wath for type it is.

Greats

Andry
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81750.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	238714   Click image for larger version

Name:	So42665.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	238715   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz67741.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	238716   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uo35360.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	238717  
Old 03-06-2005, 03:39 AM
burtcs

Default RE: Wath for cox is this ?

Andry: It appears to be a Cox Baby Bee. From the photo it is hard to say for sure since Cox made many variations, many look like Baby Bees. Many were shipped from Cox with non standard parts but they were packaged as Baby Bees.

Ideally it should have a single bypass port in the cylinder and a standard low compression glow head but again who knows. Enjoy your engine. The Baby Bee doesn't produce a great deal of power but it is quite capable of flying 200-250 sq in models as Free Flight or Radio control if the weight does not exceed 14-16 ozs. Have fun....

HTH - Steve B.
Old 03-06-2005, 10:15 AM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello Andry --

Welcome to the 1/2A forum -- you will find that almost all questions can be answered by one or more of the folks here. It is a real information resource.

Visit Dr. Martin Hepperle's [link=http://www.mh-aerotools.de/]website[/link] -- it is posted in English and German and has an extensive history of COX engines with pictures.

I agree with Steve -- it is an older engine with single slit exhaust and metal backplate with twin filler tubes. It was most likely shipped with a plane since it retains a spinner adapter -- the 3-blade propellor also shipped with several engine/plane combinations. Given the wear on the mounting lugs and needle valve, I would guess it has seen some air time.
Old 03-06-2005, 11:31 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Andry,

One thing your engine is missing is a rubber tip on the front of the prop nut. Once you tighten the prop, you would press the rubber tip in place. They are easily lost.
Just thought I'd mention it in case you run across one. It does not affect running.

George
Old 03-06-2005, 11:47 AM
Andry

Tanks everybody for the fast reaction on mijn Subject.

gcb . I have a Spring on for the cox to start the engine, maybe

is that the part wath missing on the picture ?

I think that i want this Engine fit on a littlest stick maybe

i blow that ting up to 150 %.

Greats

Andry SappeĀ“
Old 03-06-2005, 12:59 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

It's definetly an older engine. You can tell that by the curved and narrow nose of the crankcase between the prop driver and the main part of the case. In the early to mid 80's, I think it was, they changed the crankcase to a fatter and pure cylinder shape and started including the starter springs with every engine. The fatter case worked better with the spring starter.

The spinner tip they are saying that you're missing is a pointed rubber cone that went on the front of the prop. I think they were rubber as a safety device so if you flew your plactic control line model into your friend's head it would only may him go "OOOWWW" instead of bleeding...

This engine will work for an LS150 just fine but keep the weight down and do not expect it to burn up the sky. But it would make the LS150 into a nice trainer or sport model depending on how much control throw you have in it. The filler and pickup tube in the tank means you won't be able to fly inverted or do outside loops but all the positive G maneuvers are possible.

And WELCOME TO RCU where the best folks hang out! ! !
Old 03-06-2005, 01:41 PM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Andry,

Well for a better name lets just call it a Babe Bee! I looks like it's a mix and match of parts from different years but that is no big deal. Note the narrow neck crankcase and the Thimble Drome script on the fuel tank. That makes it an early engine but the cylinder is newer. Check and see if the cylinder has a small number stamped on the outside below one of the exhaust ports. If it is a #1 that is a twin bypass cylinder and will offer a bit more power than a #2 cylinder which has only a single bypass port.

Later,
Tim
Old 03-06-2005, 10:43 PM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Andry,

The starting spring is a good idea. These engines run as well backward as they do forward. If not using the spring, get used to checking if the air is blowing the correct direction when it starts.
This picture shows a Black Widow Cox engine but the red rubber tip is similar to the one you are missing. They came in various colors. I have one on a Babe Bee that is black but I don't have a picture of that engine.

George
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63599.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	239252  
Old 03-07-2005, 11:40 AM
Andry

Everybody thanks for al the information.

I have also a acount on a Dutch discussion forum but they don't now anything of
this engine that's why i login on this forum.

I have learn much more about this engine and I'm very happy with this engine.

By the way , I am just a beginner and has bought the Cox for the fun when I
can fly with airplanes I make a plane for this engine.

Greats

Andry