Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

LS150 Ready For Flight

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

LS150 Ready For Flight

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 11:40 PM
hfenn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS150 Ready For Flight

I have my LS150 ready for flight. I hope to do it tomorrow if this wicked wind will wane. 13 oz., Big Mig .061, Rudder, Elevator, Throttle. In memorium, Lynn Sipes-RCU.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61484.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	242944  
Old 03-12-2005, 11:53 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: LS150 Ready For Flight

That's a pretty nice little rocket!
Old 03-13-2005, 12:49 AM
Dukester
My Feedback: (31)

Don't know if you'll see this before you go out tomorrow, but take it easy on full throttle. I ran my LS150 with a BM.061 at first and it was very quick at full throttle. Of course, it would also climb straight up out of my hand.....

You ought to have fun.
Duke
Old 03-13-2005, 03:13 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Looks good. Nice clean work by the looks of the pic.
Old 03-13-2005, 07:37 AM
dieFluggeister

I like the film you used. Is it a transparent or super light film for micros?
Old 03-13-2005, 08:07 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice Job Hollis, that looks like a LS150 alright,,easy flying, we all have .049's on ours reedy or product, I have a dragonfly on mine but havent flown it with it yet..looks good ,hope you can come up for a funfly this summer....Rog
Old 03-13-2005, 08:58 AM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Hollis,

As usual you have produced a very nice looking model. See, clean living always pays off - unless something else comes along. But that's another story.

My LS-150T ("T" for thinned) is just sitting there all framed up scowling at me as she has been waiting for covering and completion since before Christmas. "Why, oh why" you ask does she suffer on the ground when we both long for the air to be singing over (and under) her wings? Because I, even as the supreme high commander of my workshop cannot decide on the propeller motivator - that's why.

You have gone over to the "dark side" of high power, lured no doubt by siren-song of the screaming engine and endless vertical. I, however, feel a tug toward the warm fuzzyness of the "force" and the perfumed elegance of Diesel power. I am first drawn toward the PAW .033, then the .049 then back. Oh, why can I not find the true path!?

Uh, crawling back toward reality; good looking model Hollis. I look forward to a glowing flight report.
Old 03-14-2005, 02:43 PM
hfenn

dieFluggeister wrote, "I like the film you used. Is it a transparent or super light film for micros?"

Nope, it is Transparent Yellow Top Flite MonoKote.

Thanks Rog, Raymond and BMatthews for the compliments. Well it was still windy yesterday, but I tried it anyway. When the engine was running right, the plane was awesome! I either have an engine that is not broken in yet, or a fuel tank problem. I played around with different props and head shims, but I never ran out the whole 1 oz. of fuel. It seemed to like the 5" to 5-1/2" props best. A Zinger wood 6-3 slowed the plane down to about the speed your PAW .033 would fly it Raymond. I may refit it with a Golden Bee for the Reedie Races later this year. What's a few extra holes in the firewall anyway? I made several dead stick landings with no problems. BTW, I had to keep it in close because a 13 oz. airplane doesn't make much headway in a 15 MPH breeze! It has an excellent speed envelope though, from slow flight a snail crawl to fast, high angle climb out. Definitely a fun project. I see why LynnS loved it so.
Old 03-19-2005, 05:52 PM
hfenn

I suspected a fuel tank clunk problem causing the sour runs, so today I put in a round 2 oz. Sullivan (the original was round 1 oz.). Today there was much less wind than last weekend so I flew her from the open field behind my house. Problem solved, I ran out the full tank, throttling up and down many times. She sounds like a pylon racer WOT and scoots right along. At half throttle she will still loop from level and barrel roll. At low throttle, just above the idle she just loafs along (makes me think a PeeWee .020 would fly her). Note to Raymond -probably about like your PAW .033 would, that would be an entertaining combo.
Old 03-19-2005, 06:02 PM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Hollis,

What are you thinking comparing a PAW .033 to a (ptui) Pee Wee?! Shiney Red Delicious apples to road apples. I'll forgive you this time but I think the joy of flying your LS-150 may have addled your pate.

OK, I confess to being less than a fan of reedies and perhaps I AM prejudiced. The only good Pee Wee I ever had is a pretty one that Tim Wiltse made up for me that I am reluctant to fly and make un-pretty. Pile on Pee Wee lovers.
Old 03-19-2005, 06:05 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Always good to cure a problem eh Hollis..I took the dragonfly off mine and am fitting 1 of my product engines to it,,I had a tee dee .049 tank mount originally but it started acting up on me and I quit flying it..it needs to get back in the air...may try it tomorrow too...Rog
Old 03-20-2005, 07:58 PM
hfenn

Hi Gang, Decent weather in SC today, just a little breeze. Got the Big Mig .061 singing today after playing with plugs and down to one head shim. My firstborn took the pics and also got stick time on the LS 150 as well as the Hell Raiser.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29914.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	246662   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90202.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	246663  
Old 03-20-2005, 10:22 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Looks great, Winter is officially over when I see guys submitting shots like that. The yellow looks great against the bright blue sky!