Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Hergett Mustang

Old 03-13-2005, 11:51 AM
Briannixon
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hergett Mustang

Here are some pics of my just-completed 1/12 scale combat Hergett Mustang, built from plans by Steve Hergett. The wingspan is 39". The plans utilize House of Balsa's 1/12 (1/2a) Mustang's canopy/turtledeck. This model is outfitted with a Norvel .25BB engine. The wings are white beaded foam (cut by me) sheeted with 1/16 balsa. Overall, this model is quite light and should fly very well.

Historical background: The Hergett Mustang was one of the more popular scale combat designs in the earlier 704/2610 days when it was more common for guys to fly balsa-based birds in combat. While no longer suitable for combat, I'm hoping this plane will be a nice go-fast sport flyer with good scale looks.

Plans for the Hergett Mustang can be downloaded from the Web in DXF format from various sites (do a search under "Hergett Mustang" if you're interested.

Brian Nixon

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax73094.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	243185   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bx74143.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	243186   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot48862.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	243187  
Old 03-13-2005, 01:26 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Hergett Mustang

BEAUTIFUL! I'll bet she screams with the N25! The N25 has a special sound that ABC engines don't have, I can close my eyes and tell when one goes by. Your STANG's no longer suitable for combat? She's welcome to do a strafing run over my neighbors' house anytime!
Old 03-14-2005, 10:42 AM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Those planes kick butt! I've got one of the TA-152's. And enough parts cut to make two more...
Old 03-20-2005, 02:18 PM
Briannixon

First flights were this morning. Oustanding! This plane is fast, fast, fast. Did I say fast? It performs just the way a Mustang should--with tremendous power and authority. I never tested my high rates--on low rates, the model did everything I expected and handled beautifully. Rolls can be made as quick as a blink or slowed up some. The launch is more a matter of letting go than actually tossing the plane.

The best is a low fast pass, followed by a pull straight up to verticle with as many rolls as you like thrown in. Too cool! This is just a very capable model that feels solid across the speed spectrum. Other fun maneuvers are gigantic Cuban 8s or just blasting around pylon-style at low altitude.

Landings were a breeze with solid control authority all the way in. Great job, Steve Hergett!

Brian Nixon
Old 03-20-2005, 03:17 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

That's OUTSTANDING BRIAN! It's great to hear about combos like this [ that work so well] that you don't need a second mortgage to put together. I'll bet this plane is superior to most of the .60- 1.20 sized MUSTANGS that I've seen.
Old 03-20-2005, 03:28 PM
Briannixon

I think good (well-designed and built) small planes can fly every bit as well as their larger brethren and have the same or better presence in the air. I like my planes to feel and fly "big" in the sense that they handle like a larger plane. The Hergett passes that test in every regard. It's definitely a keeper.

I've got a World Models .46 Mustang that is no slouch in the speed department and I know the Hergett Mustang would pass it like it was standing still. Viva la small!

Brian Nixon