Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Chinese C*x 049 Sure Starts

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Chinese C*x 049 Sure Starts

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 11:26 PM
skaliwag
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Chinese C*x 049 Sure Starts

My order of the cheap 049's arrived today and preliminary inspection reveals we may be able to make throttle sleeves for them.
Mine seem pretty "round" and consistant. If any of us has a "mic" and can post what they come up with for a measurement at the pionts where it counts we can compare and see if we can proceed and run a batch.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:57 AM
hfenn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Chinese C*x 049 Sure Starts

Will do when mine get here. Should be soon, as others who ordered after I did have reported receiving theirs already.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:34 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I received my five. Of those, four had ball sockets looser than I like. They would be OK for a beginner that was not going to run them hard, but I intend to touch them all with the reset tool before break-in. I consider that normal maintenance.
Other than that, they seem to be of good quality workmanship. I'm satisfied.

George
Old 03-15-2005, 09:17 AM
dieFluggeister

Got my five and only pulled one out for inspection. I'd like to partake in a throttle sleeve order too so count me in. Dont have a mic though but Ive been wanting one for a while. Maybe this is the excuse I need.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:42 AM
Rick W
My Feedback: (20)

Hi guys,

Just received several Sure Starts an I need to make a couple of throttle sleves for them. My brother owns a CNC shop and on the weekends we play there. If some one could post a picture of the throttle, we could use my engines for the mesurements we need and we could make a couple extras. He draws them in CAD, down loads it to the machine and bamb the machine makes the part and fast.

If intrested let me know.

By the way I'm a 1/2a devotee and hope to make seveal small events this year.

THX.,

Rick
Old 03-15-2005, 10:47 AM
WINANS

FYI. The Sure Start, and all Cox engines for that matter, are, and have been, made in the US.

Scott
Old 03-15-2005, 10:49 AM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Dude, if you've got cnc equipment, forget the throttle sleeve! Make an engine!!! Besides, skaliwag has alot of experience with these and a reputation for high quality. Seriously, Make some screamin' engines! I've been trying to put together the $$$ to get a Smithy Granite w/cnc just to make some engines and spinners.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:17 PM
mr_leffe

Hi Scott.... I guess I owe an Apology... With the cheap price I and a few others assumed they were being made in China. This is good news that they are being made here... Too much is going overseas. My compliments on the consistancy of machining the externals of the cylinder. Are they done with CNC machines? This will make it so much easier for us outsiders to make sleeves for your engines.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:22 PM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Scott,

I know we all can't beat the price but people shouldn't have to take the engine apart and pour the shavings out of them before they can be run.!!! No matter where they are made.

LAter,
Tim
Old 03-15-2005, 12:25 PM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

opps...
Old 03-15-2005, 12:40 PM
mclintock
My Feedback: (3)

Maybe we thought they were chinese because of the sure start text here:
http://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/...uctengines.htm

Maybe the plastic toy the engine was mounted in (or destined for) was made in china?
Old 03-15-2005, 04:02 PM
flyinrog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dial caliper shows .582 diameter on both of mine and I need to reset the con rod too,,the cylinder to case fit is kinda rough on the one I took apart....Rog
Old 03-15-2005, 05:44 PM
jessiej

ORIGINAL: mclintock

Maybe the plastic toy the engine was mounted in (or destined for) was made in china?
That does seem to cloud the issue, does it not? Should not any imported products be accompanied by a certificate of origin statement of some sort?

BTW I received the two I ordered (for whatever reason-sucker for anything cheap?) yesterday. Conrod/piston fit acceptable but less than ideal, which is fine. I love an excuse to tinker with any engine, from Cox to Harley

jess
Old 03-15-2005, 08:32 PM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

skaliwag,

All of mine are between .580-.581. But they are all straight bottom to top so a .580 is .580 from the bottom to the groove above the top exhaust slit.

Later,
Tim
Old 03-15-2005, 08:55 PM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Scott,

I noticed tonight that the word "Mexico" is stamped on the side of the backplates. So are they made in the USA???

LAter,
Tim
Old 03-16-2005, 12:03 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: mclintock
Perhaps this site has some inaccuracies because the first engine they show says PeeWee .020. I have one of the Li'l Stinkers and it has a standard PeeWee .020 with a non-anodized aluminum tank (my other two PeeWees have the red tank).

My GUESS is that part of the engine may have been made in China to fit the plane it came in.

I'm glad to hear that Cox engines are still made here. Too many industries are disappearing. Perhaps an answer is to sell directly to consumers so they don't have to compete in the "WalMarts" of the world.

Now about those TeeDee's!

George
Old 03-16-2005, 07:37 AM
flyinrog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Skaliwag I recalibrated the dial and I too am at .581 like Tim, I have a throttle ring, from one of the Crew that gave me (I think Tim) and its a good fit but theres nothing to say who made it,,Not sure where Scott's getting his information or if I take it at face value that all cox's are made right here in the good ole USA..My backplates dont show Mexico either and obviously these things could be 10 years old that were found in a warehouse somewhere..I'll be happy either way as long as they run okay....Rog
Old 03-16-2005, 08:06 AM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Well to me "Mexico" is not part of the USA so even if part of the engine is made outside the US it's not a USA made engine...just my 2cents.

LAter,
Tim
Old 03-16-2005, 09:13 AM
hfenn

I received my five engines yesterday. Three cyliners measure .581 and two measure .580 Only one seems a little out of round, maybe by .0005 Three have .008 crank end play, one has .005 (and feels a little rough when turning, that was while the cyl and piston were off), and one is a sloppy fit with .012 end play. All needed a rod socket reset but none had any freebie metal chips. For comparison I took apart a chokeplated engine that came in one of the clearance sale Star Wars CL planes I got a few years ago. I had run it maybe twice. It did have chips in it, it's cyl measures .582 and it has .008 crank end play.
Hope this is useful information.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:17 AM
hfenn

The mexico was only on the side of the choke plate assembly in ink and readily rubbed off with a little handling.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:21 AM
WINANS

You know, I thought of that after I sent the posting yesterday. You are correct, the injection molded backplates were molded outside the US.

My point, perhaps ill-made, is that these are truly not 'chinese made' engines, which carries such a strong negative connotation with many people. The VAST majority of the material costs, and certainly the labor intensive activities (machining, assembling, glow head element welding, etc) are US operations.

I am not the guy who runs the motor manufacturing, but I know them well. They have tried to build a reliable and consistent product, at a price at which it can be sold and not create heart attacks in the modeling world. I think they have done a pretty darn good job. Cox has such a history and legacy to live with and 'up to'. There will always be strong opinions in a variety of directions. I too grew up with a million memories with my Babe Bee's and all of the things that I was able to do and create with them. Memories like that are priceless. Perhaps these motors will allow for a few more to be made.

Clint,

I am sorry, I forgot to address your point. I believe that Mr. Hepperle is incorrect in that statement. It is easy to understand why, as many final products were built in China (injection molded airplanes built, assembled, packaged, etc). However, assembled engines were shipped TO China for those products.

Oh yah, and while I have the floor - Tim, I think the owrk that you are doing is absolutely gorgeous! That Sniper makes my head spin. And an 0.020 version, well, that is just about as close to half-A heaven as it gets for me. My favorite powerplant size for years has been the 0.020. Nice work, and please keep up the creative efforts.

Best Regards,

Scott Winans
Old 03-16-2005, 12:26 PM
jessiej

ORIGINAL: Tim Wiltse-RCU

Well to me "Mexico" is not part of the USA so even if part of the engine is made outside the US it's not a USA made engine...just my 2cents.

LAter,
Tim
Sadly, Tim, many American products have foreign made components. Even my 1994 Harley came with signal bulbs made in France of all places. I replaced them, of course. Hopefully the Motor Company has rectified that shameful situation.

jess
Old 03-16-2005, 12:27 PM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Scott,

Thanks for clearing up the whole made in "China" thing. I was really hoping they weren't. Sorry to see the backplates made in Mexico but hey it's better than the whole engine. Thanks for the kind words on my little engines...it keeps me off the streets and out of the bars

Later,
Tim Wiltse
Old 03-18-2005, 12:07 PM
Rick Lindsey

Would these cheap COX engines work with a diesel conversion head? If so, would the throttle sleeve still work?

thanks,
Rick
Old 03-18-2005, 12:35 PM
skaliwag

Yes you can Dieselize them, I have done it a couple of times but remember that they weren't made to be a diesel, they are a C*x's and have weaknesses. The crank and the ball socket in the piston.
I found that extra ether helps to keep them running while choked.
I am thinking of doing one myself. I have a model that I painted with Krylon which isn't Glow fuel froof and I would like not to put another coat of sealer on it. Provisional tests show that Diesel fuel doesn't eat Krylon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.