Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Film canister tanks

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Film canister tanks

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 08:56 AM
propbuster
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Film canister tanks

Okay here's a dumb question, does it have to be a "Fuji" film canister or will any work? Does the Fuji have a different seal on the lid or something? I've got a few canisters laying around and they all look the same to me. Thanks, Prop
Old 03-18-2005, 09:07 AM
flyinrog

Default RE: Film canister tanks

Hey Tim,,you might try a search, different people have different results with the film canisters, I have always heard of them being fuji although I dont know why,perhaps a tighter seal?, I am on my way to the $ store to get something to try I saw wedding party favors of .6 oz bottles of bubbles with a screw on top,, the top in my case will probably be the vent tube...but there 6 for $1 so I can experiment with a few and see how they work for the new product engines,,gosh hate to waste good bubble fluid maybe I can rig up a bubblemaker instead of smoke..Rog

BONUS their 8 for $1!! I think there are some other problems about cracking around the tubes (fuel tubes) in the lids....
Old 03-18-2005, 09:30 AM
cortacesped

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMHO. In the Fuji film canister the lid goes pressured inside and has a better seal than the other brands that use a cover.

Regards
Claudio
Old 03-18-2005, 10:31 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You are not limited to film canisters. Most plastic bottles are fuel proof. If you have one with a shape and size that fits your needs, give it a try. If it has a snap-on lid you might want to put a bead of silicone around it for better seal.
I have seen plumbing several ways. Simplest is to use silicone tubing pushed through a tight fitting hole. Another way is to use a silicone tube for seal with a piece of brass or copper tubing inside it so you can replace the external fuel line.

George
Old 03-18-2005, 01:08 PM
propbuster

Okay, I figured it out, the Fuji lid goes inside the canister creating a tighter seal. Too bad I don't have any of those hanging around! Check out this tank mount I found while searching Fuji film canisters http://www.jkaerotech.com/slkmnt2.htm Looks great, but a little too pricey for me. Rog, I like the idea of a bubblemaker, my kids would get a kick out of it! Got me thinking now
Old 03-18-2005, 03:28 PM
jessiej

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Free flighters use bubble machines for thermal dtection.

jess
Old 03-18-2005, 05:31 PM
mapnet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A good source for film canisters is your local 1 Hour film processor.

They usually have them in bags for the garbage.
Old 03-18-2005, 05:39 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

There are other uses for Fuji film canisters too. I used one for the case of my 1/4A starter. Actually, it's the only picture I had handy that shows the lid.

I used a .6oz wedding bubble bottle, like Rog mentioned, as a fuel tank for a TeeDee .020. It is the perfect size.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25954.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	245729   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34638.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	245730  
Old 03-18-2005, 09:28 PM
meowy84

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I personally am planning to use some of the little sample moisturizer bottles that you get a hotels. I have a few of them lying around from a summer vacation road-trip. Most of them are around the 1.0-1.5oz.