Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Pull-pull hookups??

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Pull-pull hookups??

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 08:34 AM
DICKEYBIRD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pull-pull hookups??

I'm looking for pull-pull ideas for my contest plane. I'm using 20 lb. Spectra Spider Wire fishing line 'cuz that's what I have. The stuff is slick and knots don't like to hold plus CA doesn't stick well.

Here's what I've come up with so far....does anybody have a better way that's less fiddly?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47303.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	246393  
Old 03-20-2005, 08:58 AM
rrragmanliam
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Pull-pull hookups??

I've aways just tied the end of the line into the whole with a cinch knot, then just hit it with a drop of ca. I get my adjustment in the line at the servo end. I've beed using 20 lb kevlar fishing line. Is that stuff your using braided or did you do that? The line I use has a very small diameter and isn't braded so the whole doesn't have to be that big.

Darren

Ooops just re read your post about the knot/ CA problem so I guess I'm not much help. I still think a good sinch knot and ca would be bulletproof. Frankley I've never had one of these knot's come undone on a plane or flyline.
Old 03-20-2005, 09:07 AM
dieFluggeister

Hey DB,
I'm working with the same problem. All the stock stuff is so clunky looking. I have been looking in the fishing dept. in the local sports shop. I have taken the snap off of some fishing swivels and attached it to the control horn similar to what you did in your pic. I then atach the spiderwire to it using a std aluminum crimp. Its very light but still not real sleek.

Spiderwire doesn't tie real well either but I'm looking for a good knot that will due the job without the aluminum crimp. Hey if it works hauling in a big fish... I also found a simple 'split ring' to replace the swivel which should make it look a little neater. I will post a pic when I can but I just havent had time as I've been doing taxes.

Is that shrink tubing on yours? I like the aerodynamic looks of that.
Old 03-20-2005, 09:32 AM
rrragmanliam
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's the knot I'm talking about. The thing is slip proof. It is also a good looking sleek knot when tied. Sory about the diagram. I can tie them but I can't draw them.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27170.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	246425  
Old 03-20-2005, 10:40 AM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

DB --

Here's [link=http://eaglespark.com/Knots/hangmans.htm]one[/link] that might work -- after tight against the horn, slide and shrink a small piece of heat shrink over it. The same page has additional knots to view.

The recommended knot for Spider Wire is the Palomar, but it doesn't really lend itself to tying to a control horn. It could be used on the servo side.
Old 03-20-2005, 11:20 AM
DICKEYBIRD

Cool stuff guys, thanks for the suggestions. Ain't it funny how us 1/2A guys' have similar interests? I figured the angling skills & knot tying lore would come to the surface!

Upon further review, (verified by my Sunday morning breakfast model aircraft engineer buddy Brian,) it was kinda stoopid (he loves pointing out my stoopid thinking) doing the pull-pull cables with steel-strong, zero-stretch Spider Wire when the tail boom is a small, super-light tapered carbon kite spar. If I had a hard landing or even a rough patch of air and the boom flexed, guess what would give? Probably rip off a V-tail or it's control horn. Doh! I'm thinking Dacron 1/2A control line string or some heavy duty nylon carpet thread will work better. Either of those has a little stretch, will knot well and CA locks it solid. I think I'll save the SpiderWire for a conventional fuselage application. Make sense?
Old 03-20-2005, 12:14 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I bring the line through the hole in the control horn twice, this helps to cinch the thread so you can do a precise tension adjustment, then I just tie off with half hitches. A whippy boom would be trouble to rig if your control horns are positioned away from the center line, but if you can keep the control horns closer in, there won't be much leverage working against the boom. A CAP 232 type tail arrangement probably works best for this idea because there is no conflict between the rudder and elevator hinge lines, so the elevator control horn can be placed right next to the fuselage. Dacron is too stretchy, I think you would be constantly fiddling with it. Monofilament might be a happy medium between dacron and spiderline.