Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Tank size for a TT GP .07

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Tank size for a TT GP .07

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 06:32 PM
Gene Chernosky
My Feedback: (182)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tank size for a TT GP .07

I'm going to use a TT GP .07 spinning an APC 6x4 to power a glider up to soaring altitude. I am wondering what size tank would be good to use... 1 oz., 1 1/2 oz., 2 oz.?

Your assistance on this matter would be GREATLY appreciated!
Old 03-22-2005, 06:55 PM
rrragmanliam
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Tank size for a TT GP .07

Hi gene a 1oz tank will give you about 6-7 min. of run time at full throttle. Depends on what you want to do. Extra fuel = extra weight. A 2 oz tank will run this engine for up to 15 min with frugle throttle managment.

Darren

Ps , a 6x3 is a little light for the engine. 6x4, 7x2, 7x3 are also acceptable.
Old 03-22-2005, 09:06 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree about the 2 oz tank. I had a GP-07 with a 7-4 prop in a TT Scooter. I was lucky catching thermals that day, I guess.. it took me 25 minutes to run out that tank. Most of it was at idle. If you can see your way to it, I'd also recommend the 2 oz tank.

Bob
Old 03-24-2005, 10:57 AM
SquirlNutZipper
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got that same engine ready to place in the nose of my H-9 Aspire. I was afraid it wouldn't be enough engine to haul it up and around. I too have looked at placing the 2oz tank in there.
Yanked out all the electric gear and in the process of moving the servos forward and making new "built up" tail feathers.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:00 PM
N1EDM

My TT Scooter originally had a Norvel .074 and that was too much engine. Granted that my wingspan was only about 54" but I switched 'down' to the GP-07 and never had a problem with power. I just had to remember not to do any 3D with my Scooter. even with shallow climbs, it didn't seem like it took me very long to get to altitude.

There were many times I had to spiral down so that I could keep my eye on the thing, and I don't think that my altitude was due to thermals all that much...

Bob
Old 03-24-2005, 09:30 PM
flyinrog

Good to know Bob, I have the scooter I got at a swap meet and it has a Norvel.074 on it,I also just happened to buy a gp-.07 at the same meet cause it was like $5? someone else here suggested I go back with the GP,,but I havent tried it out yet and I really like the Norvel..Rog
Old 03-24-2005, 09:59 PM
N1EDM

I started with the Norvel and went back to the GP-07. Had to scab in some wood on the engine mount so that the GP would fit, but it wasn't that hard. I preferred mine with the GP-07 over the Norvel, though the Norvel is a super engine... just too much engine for the Scooter, IMHO.

You wouldn't be wrong by staying with the Norvel .074, but it was just too much engine for this plane. Who knows - maybe that's why the guy gave it up at the Auction? It might take an hour or so of puttering to get the GP in there. If the Norvel is already in there, maybe you might want to try it with that engine first, just to see if you like it that way. But I'd be careful. This plane likes to climb, and I was concerned that the Norvel might fly the wings off of it. Just mind the throttle and you should be OK with the Norvel.

I'd be curious what your opinion is of the way that the plane flies.

Talk to you soon,

Bob
Old 03-26-2005, 09:44 AM
WMB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Gene, I get about 10 minutes at full throttle. It gives me good warning before going dead.
6x3, 30%, 2 oz. tank
Have fun, Mike