Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

How do I replace the carb mount on a Cox TD .049?

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

How do I replace the carb mount on a Cox TD .049?

Old 09-25-2002, 02:04 PM
tinsink

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I replace the carb mount on a Cox TD .049?

OK, I broke the plastic part on my TD .049 where you mount the Carb (venturi). So I have to replace it. I haven't taken it apart yet. What is the procedure to replace it? Do I have to take the whole thing apart or can I just remove the front shaft support and then take off the plastic part? Do I need a special tool?

Any help is appreciated.

Rich
Old 09-25-2002, 02:12 PM
DICKEYBIRD

The aluminum retainer just behind the prop drive washer has to be unscrewed (c/clockwise) with the Cox wrench. The spanner on the wrench engages in the 2 slots....just screw it all the way off and the drive washer is pressed off in the process. The plastic frt. hsng. will then pull off. Put your new hsng. on, put the thrust wshr. and the drive washer on, being careful to align the grooves carefully; then press the drive wshr. on with a prop and the prop screw. I like to tap the screw with a small hammer after the screw is fully tight to seat the drive washer. An allen prop screw helps to get it tight enough. Comprende usted?
Old 09-26-2002, 11:31 AM
tinsink

Thank you for the information. I assume that I wil have to remove the glow head to stop the piston from moving when I do this.

Rich
Old 09-26-2002, 11:43 AM
DICKEYBIRD

Nope, not necessary. The retainer screws on to the crankcase; you just have to hold on to the engine as you screw off the retainer. You hold onto the prop when you tighten the prop screw to reinstall the drive washer. Much harder to describe in writing than it is to actually do it!
Old 11-18-2002, 08:25 AM
Grampaw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Replacing the plastic housing for the venturi reminded me of when I replaced the venturi with a Tarno carb back in the early 70's. The carb came with a similar plastic cone as was on the Cox Venturi sleeve, and it fit perfectly. Sure made a better engine out of a good one! That carb was of English make, but was marketed out of Canada...at least that's where mine came from. I lost it while relocating, and about that time moved up to larger sizes s anyway. Now my interest is headed back down, and I wish I still had it. But Norvel should satisfy my needs in that area.
Old 11-18-2002, 10:23 AM
fastlash
My Feedback: (7)

Default cox

WOW you got guts letting Dinkybird know that you were going Norvel, he has an addiction , he is a Coxaholic, yeeeeha go Dinky