Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

need lathe help

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 02:05 AM
raycamel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need lathe help

Whats up guys! It's been along time since I was over here in the 1/2a section. I dove into electric, and it been keeping me occupied. I do need some help from one of yall's with a lathe. I not only have been flying electric but I've been building those cd rom brushless motors. All I can say is wow! any ways I tore apart a old vhs or hard drive and it had a huge stator(used in brushless motors)I'm thinking when correctly wound it is a 30ish size motor,400watts,(comparatively).Anyways I need a little machine work done on it and when I thought of machining I thought of all you craftsmen.I am gonna be trading/selling most(not all) of my half-a stuff...must have30 planes and 50 motors of cox and norvel alike, from 020 to.074's. I also have little cash,just no lathe,I am working on that thou....Another guy in the local club has one under a hundred model kits, in a cluttered basement filled with anything and everything hobby like. If I could possibly retain so machining skills I could make it a worth while trade. Such a large electric motor would cost in the 150's at least so......I guess you could pm me or e-mail would work to. I hope I got this in before the weather clears up too much, don't want to force anybody out of go flyintimethanks in advance fella's, I know it's only related to half a in a round about way[]but reading and posting for so long over here, I feel like there always a way! thanks chuck
Old 04-02-2005, 02:19 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: need lathe help

Hey CHUCK, you turn coat!!! How DARE YOU come here with your tail between your legs and ask FORGIVENESS from us SUPERIOR SLIMERS!!! If it wasn't for the fact that we share first names.........so you say this electric stuff is pretty hot? I've seen first hand that it actually rules in the size scale that we are playing with. no doubt about it. I have a lathe, but also have limited machining skills and experience. I have heard about the CD motors and how hot they are. If all you need is basic work, I might be able to fill the bill, PM me with the details, BTW, where's your contest enrty? Good to hear from ya, CHUCK
Old 04-02-2005, 01:53 PM
epilot

Are you going to machine the stators? If so, it is best to use some sort of grinder rather than a tool bit. The stator material is soft and if the tool digs in you can bend the stators. I have reduced the diameter of some stators for a CD-ROM motor and I glued the stators together with cyano and then use a grinding wheel in a dremel held in the tool post.

Michael
Old 04-02-2005, 05:23 PM
coffeemug
My Feedback: (6)

Well all I can recomend is geting a cheap bench-top lathe of your own. We should all have one for that matter. Those (few) with enough impulse control to save a few hunderd bucks could get one of these...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=4019

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=33684

-Nick
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89266.gif
Views:	11
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	252982   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71825.gif
Views:	10
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	252983  
Old 04-02-2005, 07:27 PM
raycamel

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

Hey CHUCK, you turn coat!!! How DARE YOU come here with your tail between your legs and ask FORGIVENESS from us SUPERIOR SLIMERS!!! If it wasn't for the fact that we share first names.........
CP somehow I knew I would get a mouthful from you.. Yea hot! 3 stators wound with 3 turns of 3 strands of 26g wire wired in delta...will fling a flimsy 4 4 gws prop in a split sec.. ur...contest entry....ur.....it's "in the works",well maybe not[] Thats one reason I have been straying, the lack of time. I still tell myself "I'm not an arf guy" and turn and get a foamy "kit". I'm not giving up much of my slimers, mostly the big stuff , tone the hanger down abit. I'm still gonna check locally for a machinist, or borrow some time on one.
So I'll keep checking in on the forum,thanks much Chuck!

Epilot; not the stators I need to cut. It's the bearing support, it looks like a big aluminum rim, I want to turn it down flat and smaller dia. It mounts together with a set screw on the rotor, the other end is a big chunk of round brass. the motor has to swing that mass along with a prop, I don't think this would be good, after running up the motor it takes almost a whole minute for the motor to come to a complete stop. oh...stators were in the original tape drive that and the bearing assembly is what are the goodiesI have done the chuking of the stator and running it on a file and sand paper....It worked but not the most proficient. thanks for the input

Old 04-02-2005, 07:34 PM
raycamel

nickxyz; Yea I know....... the only way to qunch the thrist is to drink....I wish! it's on the list of must have eventuallies. You are talking to mister impuse, when I sleep now a days I dream of lipo batts and micro eplanes and.....Just shows me how much I need to fire up a gasser(nitro) thanks for the links though(already in my fav's) Chuck

Old 04-02-2005, 09:20 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Well it sounds like you have found a niche in our hobby that has a good ratio of fun/sorrow, that's what is important. Guys who are into 1/2A nitro have got to be a little bit masochistic.