Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Ace Commander help

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 11:05 PM
dhansen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ace Commander help

Hi All.

I seem to remember some of you mention that you are still flying RO with the Ace radios. Well, I managed to get one myself today and look forward to trying it. One small problem though is that the stick does not self center........... Looks like there is a spring missing that does the return work.

Anyhoooooo, I was hoping somebody might be able to help me figure out what I need for a spring. Any help, photo, measurements, etc, would be great!

Only took me 35 years to finally get one! Ha!

TIA Dennis.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:38 PM
balsaworks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Ace Commander help

Hi Dennis,

Congratulations on finding a fine radio. The Ace Pulse Commander is no doubt one of the most reliable and functional single channel outfits from the old days.
I got mine in the early 70´s and still use it occasionally in an original Ace Littlest Stik with a Cox .010.

The self-centering device is a fairly simple construction;
I have uploaded 4 photos - hope they show up well enough (please disregard the little sliver of balsa, it’s been there since 1974 (June) to prevent the control stick from wiggling up and down….)

If the coil spring is missing it’s an easy fix – you could probably get away with a rubber band.
The black centering tab and the grey peg that pushes the white arms left & right should be easy to repair as well.
If the white arms are broken that might be a little trickier, but shouldn´t be impossible to repair.

Let me know if you need any further photos or info,

Tomas H.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97925.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	254404   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98606.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	254405   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47310.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	254406   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89361.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	254407  
Old 04-05-2005, 12:43 PM
balsaworks

One more photo..

Name:	Wu61244.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	254417  
Old 04-05-2005, 08:14 PM
dhansen

Thanks again Tomas. I built this Owen Campen design called the Scampy last year. It was designed for the Adams Baby actuator but I have it set up with two micro servos for rudder and elevator. I think I might see about flying it on rudder only with the "new" radio.

Name:	Rp42962.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	254556   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10577.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	254557  
Old 04-05-2005, 08:51 PM
John C

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you know which actuator you have? There was a Baby, Twin Baby, and Stomper at least. The baby was marginal even for a .010 powered plane, and the twin baby for .020 max. I've upgraded my Ace Dicks Dream with Pewee .020 to a single channel servo from a Twin Baby sold some two years ago...works well and certainly improved the radio range .

I'm just trying to keep you out of trouble as those actuators have minimal power at best

John C
Old 04-06-2005, 01:51 AM
balsaworks

Dennis,

That Scampy looks great, beautiful color scheme.

In my experience the Adams actuators work fine.
I use a Baby in my .010 powered Littlest Stik, and it has ample power.
Also have a Baby twin, in a 48" span all-balsa glider; the "Kestrel" (a Dave Boddington design).
It´s powered by a G-Mark .03, no problem. On a full tank it turns into a tiny speck in the sky, never had problems with range.

Mind you, the linkage has to be absolutely free, no binding anywhere. Torque rods work well.
Rudders should to be fairly small when you fly rudder-only, so you don´t need all that much actuator power.
The original old designs will show the right rudder size, but if you convert a modern design to R/O the rudder area (or the deflection) has to be reduced.
I think I have an old Ace manual somewhere, with a sketch of their recommended torque rod hook-up, will see if I can find it.

I have heard that the actuator magnets can loose power if they are stored improperly, but I have no experiene of this.

The Baby and Baby twin actuators are red.
The Standard and Stomper are yellow. Standard has one magnet, Stomper has twin magnets.

Tomas
Old 04-06-2005, 05:00 AM
Big Al-RCU

Hey Guys, I need some help.
My Ace Commander seems to have died just sitting on the shelf. It worked fine a few years ago, but now nothing. Does anyone know where I get it repaired? Even though I did build several old-time radios, one from a magazine construction article (1963 MAN B&D) and some kits (Royal), I don't have the expertise to troubleshoot/repair this one. I would like to get it going again just for old times sake.
TIA
Al
Old 04-06-2005, 10:33 AM
WINANS

Dennis,

That Scampy is gorgeous, must be a joy to fly. My favorite airplane size is .020, though I have a fondness for the .010 also.

My first efforts at pulse were with a Mattel system bought on closeout for $35 in ~1973 or so. I tried a Dicks Dream on a PeeWee .020 but cold rarely get a good flight at the time, for a variety of reasons, but the pulse rudder bug had bit me. I now also have an R&N Li'l Pup (low wing, polyhedral design, ~30" span or so) hanging on my ceiling - TD.020 and Ace system in it with the Baby actuator. No actuator authority problems at all. I built the plane ~14 years ago and have had many great flights with it. Its been re-tissued 2-3 times now.

Al, regarding repair work on the Ace system, you might contact either of the following guys. One fellow I know in Tucson who I have purchased a few systems from, he's a great guy. I know he sell systems on ebay at times also, his name is Ed Rutherford. I have an old phone number for him if you want to e-mail me directly. Another fellow is a long time radio designer named Mike Dorffler, in Canon City, Colorado. he has also designed a small pulse Rx unit as a replacement for the ACE units - smaller and lighter. You can reach him at [email protected] for possible help. He's a whiz at this.

Best Regards, and keep all the rudders wagging.

Scott Winans
Old 04-06-2005, 11:08 AM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

I have 4 of these systems flying now in our demo models .010 Page Boy up to the Minnie Mambo. All work flawlessly. I have the schematics for the transmitter and receiver if you need it. Have you tested the transmitter to see it the pulser/oscillator is working? I have a tone monitor but a cheap walkie talkie can work as well. Scott I have 2 Mattel units flying also. Great little systems with no problems. Here is a picture of one of our Wee Sticks with it in it. A ball to fly!!

Bob Harris
Early RC Models
www.earlyrcmodels.com

Name:	Bz79627.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	254785  
Old 05-14-2005, 04:52 AM
rrengineer
My Feedback: (3)

Anyone know where to get a receiver that works with the ACE or Mattel single channel transmitters? I have an ACE pulse Commander system and a Baby and Standard actuators. I also have an old Mattel system with an Adams Standard actuator, but the receiver was damaged (broke in half) in a crash. Would love to get both systems working at the same time to be able to bring more than one model at a time out to the field.
Old 05-14-2005, 02:14 PM
boberos

To Big Al,
When trouble shooting these old radios, the 1st thing I do is inspect the cct board closely with a magnifying glass. Surprising how many times you can find a broken wire or crack in the cct board. Also check for broken wires at connectors or switches.
If all is well then 2nd thing is to replace crystal, as they were also a weak link.
As mentioned by Bob H. above, switch on Tx & hold it near an FM radio set to around 108 mhz; you should hear the pulsing sound. It will vary with stick movement. This test will at least confirm whether Tx is functioning at all.

To all,
Does anyone have a copy or photocopy of an Ace Commander manual available?

Thanks,
Bob G
Old 05-14-2005, 03:07 PM
ZAGNUT
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you will probably find the schematics and manual at http://www.lazygator.n4jsb.net/acerc.html

also check out the yahoo group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ACERC/

dave
Old 05-14-2005, 09:24 PM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

Bob, I have the Ace schematics and manual I can make copies for you. Let me know this weekend at the flyin and I will run a set. I picked up a set from an old Ace service center with some trouble shooting notes.

Bob Harris
Early RC Models
www.earlyrcmodels.com