Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

First 1/2A flight tonight!

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

First 1/2A flight tonight!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 10:01 PM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First 1/2A flight tonight!

Well, I finally did it. I had my first 1/2a r/c flight in at least 15 years. I've been acquiring a bunch of 1/2a stuff over the past year or so, but haven't gotten anything this small (wet-fuel powered) in the air, just bench run the motors. But all that changed today. I brought my TD .020 powered Lady Bug(there's a thread about it somewhere on here) to the field tonight and decided it was time to fly it(assuming I could get the TD to cooperate, which I haven't quite mastered yet). I flew the 'Bug right after I finished wringing out a new speed 480 pylon ship, but I gotta say, I was more puckered from the Ladybug. It's a whole different ballgame when you know you HAVE to keep it under control until the fuel runs out![X(] And...I learned a few things. 1: I need to add some ballast in the nose. 2: I need more 'down' trim,3: the throttle stick doesn't do anything if you don't have a throttle, and 3: I need some downthrust. When I launched the plane, it shot of of my hand like a rocket and went nearly straight up before I got on the elevator stick. I dialed in all the downtrim I could get and the plane still wanted to loop if I relaxed my push on the stick. Once I decided to just loop it, it hung there inverted for what seemed like forever--very wierd. Directional control was far less dramatic, left and right worked as expected and trim was spot-on. Once the fuel finally ran out(I had the foresight to put only 25mL in the tank, so it was probably about 4-5 minutes but it seemed like forever), everything was fine. The plane floats like a cloud when unpowered, and I glided it around for about another minute to lose altitude; when I finally got it down, it was my best landing of the night, rolling to a perfect stop right in front of me. I can't wait to get this thing in the air again(once I get it trimmed out, of course).
Old 04-05-2005, 10:25 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: First 1/2A flight tonight!

Glad to hear you had a successful flight. I can almost feel the excitement in your post. There's just something about a screamin' TeeDee that gets the blood pumping.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:51 PM
BuzzBomber

ORIGINAL: Bipe Flyer
There's just something about a screamin' TeeDee that gets the blood pumping.
Not to mention the ears ringing! Note to self--put extra earplugs in flightbox.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:15 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Matt,

Get an exhaust throttle from Steve Adams. It will cut the noise down significantly when running at less than full throttle.
Old 04-06-2005, 12:05 AM
Big Al-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Matt Smith
<snip>
Once the fuel finally ran out(I had the foresight to put only 25mL in the tank, so it was probably about 4-5 minutes but it seemed like forever), everything was fine. The plane floats like a cloud when unpowered, and I glided it around for about another minute to lose altitude; when I finally got it down, it was my best landing of the night, rolling to a perfect stop right in front of me. I can't wait to get this thing in the air again(once I get it trimmed out, of course).
Matt, Congratulations, that's what it is all about! My R/O 010 powered Pageboy only runs for about 90 sec to maybe 2 min but thats a LONG time without blinking or breathing. Its trimmed to loop hands off so the entire flight is a series of loops, rolls and spins. Everyone says 'how do you do stunts with rudder only?' Little do they know that actually I am just trying to keep ahead of it and keep it somewhere near the runway!
Enjoy, Al Lenz
Old 04-09-2005, 09:42 PM
BuzzBomber

I re-aligned the engine mount and rebalanced the plane last night, hoping to get another flight in with the Ladybug today, but I learned a painful lesson instead. Lesson being, either use only an alkaline cell for glow heads or PAY ATTENTION TO THE FIELDBOX, STUPID! Man, I have bad luck with that. The first time I brought the 'bug out to the field, I zapped a glow head by running too much current through it via the power panel. So what did I do today? Even worse. I plugged the clip into the power panel and as soon as I connected it, I saw a spark and heard a ZAP! Hmm, that's odd. So, in my brilliant state of mind, I take the glow head off to see what's the matter, and see little balls of molten platinum where the element should be. So, I turned the current down all the way and short the clip across the plug body. Here's what I expected to happen--a little buzzing from the panel switching power on/off, and the needle swinging up. Here's what happened instead. ZAP! again, then the wonderful aroma of burnt skin and owww! is my fingertip hot![X(] After dropping the hot glowhead, I see the problem. I plugged the clip into the 12v starter output[:@]. Nuthin' like cauterized fingertips to make you remember a lesson. Anyhow, the upshot of the story is that I've got a spare glowhead, a fresh alkaline cell for the Model Products clip, and tomorrow is forecast sunny, calm, and 60°.[8D]

edit: fixed spelling
Old 04-09-2005, 10:21 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Well do keep us informed, I am framing the wing right now on a Fred Reese Littlest stick with an extra wing bay for my pee wee. 020 ,hope I can fly it tomorrow too,,good luck to you, hope it all works out, forget the ear plugs but pay attention to those glow heads,,they are high $$ stuff...I won 2 .020's on theebay this week for $15 each so I got more stuff to do.....Rog