Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Tired of buying battery packs

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Tired of buying battery packs

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 06:43 PM
rrragmanliam
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tired of buying battery packs

Man am I tired of buying battery packs. They're expensive and always seem too big for the aplication. I mean who the H E double toothpicks needs a 270 mAh pack for a 2-3 channel .010. Enough of the rant, do any of you guys know where one could buy bulk connectors, the little gold pins that crimp on the wire and some sort of crimping tool. I've looked on the net but have come up wanting. Thanks in advance for the help.

Rrragman
Old 04-12-2005, 06:47 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Tired of buying battery packs

Don't know about the pins and bodies bit but I find that the pack prices from www.cheapbatterypacks.com seem very competitive to me. And they offer packs custom made with connectors and all down to the GP110 cells with the connector cord of your choice.

If you like what you see and place an order mention you saw it on RCU. They are one of our sponsors. And I'm not saying to use them just because of that. After looking around at a few others I find they have the best or match the lowest prices around.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:19 PM
flyinrog

Just a thought ,have you checked with Radio Shack?...I've looked before too but I think you'd have to buy,by the 100's ...Rog
Old 04-12-2005, 07:42 PM
ZAGNUT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-4.html and a few others have what you need but you might find much better prices at digikey...just be prepared to do some digging in their catalog

for all my servos/batteries i use 0.1" female header sockets cut to length and soldered. cheap, easy and reliable

dave
Old 04-12-2005, 09:12 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here ya go: [link=http://www.jameco.com/Jameco/catalogs/c252/P112.pdf]non-polerized connector housings and crimp pins[/link]

I just had another shipment come in today -- I use them for audio cables, PC front panel connections, connectors for USB ports on motherboards and, of course, all sorts of R/C stuff.

Battery and servo housings: PN 157382CH
Female crimp pins: PN 100765CH
Male crimp pins: PN 145357CH

You will have to buy a crimp tool, also available thru Jameco. I do business with this company on a regular basis and have had good service.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:31 PM
mclintock
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you so much for posting the link for the connector housings and pins (sockets).!
I spent about an hour today with the digi-key catalog, and still i think I missed them.. In the world of interconnets, the standard seems to be no standard at all!

On my jr rx I've found that I need to sand the corners of the plain rectangular connectors to get them to fit, but it takes about two seconds...
Old 04-12-2005, 10:49 PM
mnrcaerobat
My Feedback: (197)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.sheldonshobbies.com/listi...terybuild.html

I noticed that sheldons hobbies has some battery building parts.

I have also looked into building packs, but the payoff to buy everything didn't seem to work out for me.

It seems like I also looked at ws deans website and found some battery info on there.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:08 PM
rrragmanliam

Thank you gentelman for all the input. That's exectly what I'm looking for Andrew.

Darren
Old 04-13-2005, 01:59 PM
SST
My Feedback: (2)

You ain't seen cheap batteries for do-it-yourself packs 'till you see www.meci.com
Old 04-13-2005, 04:01 PM
PsychTeacher

I have been extremely happy with the battery packs I have purchased from Batteries America

http://www.batteriesamerica.com/

I picked up a 150 mah NIMH pack the size of the 50 mah nicad pack (1/3 AAA) for my .010 Eindecker (in progress), and other assorted tiny goddies at good prices.

For connectors, wire and tools, I have been shopping at Dymond Modelsport here in the San Diego area. They are on-line but you may have to call them for a list of everything they sell.

http://www.rc-dymond.com/

Hope this helps

Old 04-13-2005, 06:40 PM
rrragmanliam

Hey PsyTea, thanks for the input.

I looked at the sight ,Batteries America, before I started this thred. It Looks like a good resource for assembled packs. I'm really looking to assemble my own, in the best configuration for the application, at under 7-10 bucks a pack, and that means "do it yourself". The problem with ordering from any sight, even if they have great prices, is by the time I pay for shipping I'm in the 15-22 dollars a pack range. I wonder what some of the prolific builders ( the "Plane a Week" crowd) like CP do.

Darren
Old 04-13-2005, 06:47 PM
rrragmanliam

Hey guys,

I don't know if this tool is really necessary but here's the link to the correct "Crimp- O- Matic" for the male /female wire pins.

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/sto...oductId=122341
Old 04-13-2005, 06:57 PM
texflyer
My Feedback: (3)

http://www.hansenhobbies.com/product...ctorparts.html

This place has connector parts.
Floyd
Old 04-13-2005, 08:20 PM
rrragmanliam

Very nice Floyd,

Enough wire, pins, and connectors for 10 packs all for 9 bucks. Another great resourse!

Thanks,

Darren

Old 04-13-2005, 08:24 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: rrragmanliam

Hey guys,

I don't know if this tool is really necessary ....<snip>
Yep -- you gotta' have it. The pins, both male and female have two crimps -- one is a strain relief that wraps around the insulation and the second crimps onto the bare wire. Both are roll crimps and are done at the same time. Can't do them without this specific tool.
Old 04-14-2005, 11:43 AM
RandyRT

Hi Group,

I think these people have to have the best deals around. http://www.batteryspace.com/index.as...S&Category=256

Among other things they have 2- packs of 4 AAA NI Metal for 5 bucks.

I have been experimenting with using single lithium packs for receiver radio packs. I charge them to 4.2 volts and I get a lot af flight time from them before they go down to 4.0 volts. 4 volts is when I recharge. They have a single cell lithium charger for 10 bucks. I haven't done business with them before so I can't endorse them but I will be ordering later today.

Randy
Old 04-18-2005, 10:46 PM
Dukester
My Feedback: (31)

Darren,

I built a bunch of small packs and for the connectors I ended up just buying some prebuilt leads from a guy here on RCU. I ended up with a price of about $1.50 each for a 10" 2 wire battery lead ready to solder on the completed pack. You can also check out www.maxamps.com for inexpensive nimh cells for small packs.

Duke