Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Anyone Built and flew Herr Little Somethin' Extra

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Anyone Built and flew Herr Little Somethin' Extra

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 01:35 PM
GWR
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anyone Built and flew Herr Little Somethin' Extra

Doh! Hey Larry, I thought you were a free flight writer![sm=spinnyeyes.gif]I don't even remember what rag I used to read you in.[sm=idea.gif]
Attached Images  
Old 05-02-2005, 02:28 PM
Larry Driskill

ORIGINAL: GWR

Doh! Hey Larry, I thought you were a free flight writer![sm=spinnyeyes.gif]I don't even remember what rag I used to read you in.[sm=idea.gif]
Naw. I have had models fly away, but only once did they start the flight totally unattached.

CL Combat, Flying Models, every other month.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:17 PM
Uncas
My Feedback: (1)

sdan9151,

Is your CG too much to the front?
Old 05-02-2005, 07:48 PM
Larry Driskill

ORIGINAL: Uncas

sdan9151,

Is your CG too much to the front?
Although your post says "in reply to Larry Driskill" I'm thinking you may be addressing one of the electric applications, but since I had posted a CG issue earlier I'll answer too.

My CG was a bit aft of the recommended. So I added some weight under the spinner for the first flights. Today I discovered my battery will barely fit under the fuel tank and move another inch or so forward, so think I may be able to remove the 1/2 oz. I had on the prop shaft.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:35 PM
Uncas

Sorry Larry,

I meant to reply to sdan. He says he has a .15 and has CG problems. I am thinking nose heavy with the bigger engine.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:08 AM
ghost123uk

I was going to use the TT GP.10, but it weighs about twice a Norvel .074.[:'(
Umm I am planning to put my TT GP10 in mine, is this weight thing going to be a problem ?
Old 05-03-2005, 05:38 AM
Larry Driskill

ORIGINAL: ghost123uk

I was going to use the TT GP.10, but it weighs about twice a Norvel .074.[:'(
Umm I am planning to put my TT GP10 in mine, is this weight thing going to be a problem ?
Since the planes are apparently tending toward tail heavy with the Norvel .074, I'd guess you will be OK and maybe just need to move your battery / receiver around to balance.

Plus, you might be able to slide the engine back a tiny bit too.

Overall weight may be another issue tho.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:51 AM
sdan9151

You guys are absoutely right with the OS engine it is heavier in the nose. I'm about an inch forward of where they recommend the CG. I'm going to play around with repositioning the battery and stuff to move it back a little. Was thinking of going to a lighter battery for the reciever, but with this CG problem may just use the heavier 4 volt and move it around. Also the way I mounted the engine, I may have a little, and I mean little, space to move the engine back. The position of the tank and the way the hoses come out, really doesn't give you much room to move the engine aft without possibly crimping a hose. The plane is really ideal for the electrics, weight of the model and everything else included. Since the electrics have come so far in power, smaller batteries, ESC's, etc. I suspect we'll see more of the conversions.
I know looking at the newer twins and the electrics, you can't get much easier. No messing around trying to get two engines started and tuned, flip a switch and you're off. (Enough of the editorial).

Steve
Old 05-04-2005, 11:48 AM
GWR
My Feedback: (31)

I flew my Lil Extra yesterday with the Magnum GP .10. Moved the battery a little and it balanced perfect per the instructions. Like the original Somthin' Extra, it seems like they were a little conservative with the CG, so you may want to try it back further. [X(]I guess I've been spoiled by electrics. [&o]When I got done with the test flight, YUK. [:'(]I forgot how messy these slimers can be. [:@]I shoulda got the miniFuntana instead; very similar, already made for electric, and $10.00 cheaper. So I've already got a buyer for the Lil Extra and I'll be getting the miniFuntana.[sm=sunsmiley.gif]
Old 05-07-2005, 04:29 PM
Larry Driskill

I had my Little Extra out again today.

One of the really talented 3D pilots was there and flew it some. His normal ride is a 40% , or so, Edge so the 25 ounce Extra was a hoot for him. He confirmed that it could use a bit more power and would have to have more to hover.

I checked the Norvel Big Mig .15 specs: Weight 5.7 oz / H.P. .50. Probably not enough more power to justify the weight increase over the .074.

The .074 is supposed to be 2.65 oz and .38 H.P.

I think I may fly it as is with the .074 for a bit and then try opening up the carb some and see it there is some more H.P. there. Some normal clean up/ hop up work might be worth while. But it is not as though the plane is underpowered for conventional flying and the roll rate on high rates is impressive.

Oh, another thing - It would not hurt to have the top and bottom of the wings look other than identical in flight. I intend to correct that problem before the next flight.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:45 PM
R/C Foolish
My Feedback: (6)

OK guys, you all can forget the Norvels, Magnums and OS LA's. Have been flying mine with an OS 15CV and it goes like a bat out of he@@. Move the tank back a little to make room for the hoses and using Hitec HS55 servos all around. Don't bother with the stock wheels either. Use Higley 1/8" axle shafts and use Dubro 2-1/4 lite wheels. This is one fun plane with enough power. I started out with a 10LA and it wouldn't go vertical at all. Now, watch out, she screams on the down lines. Snaps are unbelievable with high rates and it lands like a dream. Use an APC 8X6 prop. You will also need a muffler extension to clear the fuselage.

R/C Foolish
Old 05-14-2005, 10:09 PM
jheissjr

R/C Foolish, do you have unliminted verticle, or are you able to get it to hover vertically (hang on the prop) with the OS 15CV?
Old 05-15-2005, 03:45 AM
R/C Foolish
My Feedback: (6)

It is unlimited, point her up and she just keeps going up. I am sure I will be able to hang it on the prop though after I adjust the CG after a few more flights. It is very light, so when it is hanging it doesn't take much to blow it around. It is a great little plane, so far 4 guys from our club have purchased it.

R/C Foolish
Old 05-15-2005, 07:23 AM
Inverticle

I am more of a 4 stroke guy and was wondering if a Satio 30 would work in this plane? And I don't mean is it possible but I mean could you see a 30 4 stroke work well in it? It would add about 2 to 3 oz's up front compared to a 15 and would need at least enough ground clearance for a 9 inch prop. Would this be too heavy and bulky or nice fit? I have seen a Saito 30 in a Mini Funtana and it was surprisingly a nice combo.
Old 05-15-2005, 09:20 AM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in a mini Funtana?!! cool. i would like an electric, but every thing is expensive. i would like either one of these planes. (like my wife will let me have another! she says i need to finish the ones i have!)

i would like to know how that .30 would work also.
Old 05-16-2005, 04:06 PM
SIR-MACK

I just got done flying my little extra and it was a very enjoyable. I think it is a very nice plane and it was worth the wait I hope you all enjoy yours.

Keep them flying
Kent
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18291.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	272333   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up46773.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	272334   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bv59721.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	272335  
Old 05-16-2005, 05:24 PM
Larry Driskill

Hey Sir, what equipment did you use? And, that looks like a Norvel .074, what prop and fuel are you using?
Old 05-16-2005, 11:26 PM
SIR-MACK

I am using Hitec HS55 servos ,Gws 8 ch. dual conversion micro Rx, 270ma battery.The fuel I am using is Byrons Premium Competition 35% nitro 16% oil 80/20 syn. to castor, plus adding castor to get to 20-25% oil. It is Norvel .074 the prop 7-4 master airscrew but I Think it may need a diff. size. I am just not sure what would also work.

Kent
Old 05-17-2005, 04:54 AM
Larry Driskill

I have an APC 7X3 on mine Norvel .074 and it is seems about right. Much more prop and it might be over-proped.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:52 AM
ghost123uk

I'm starting to get a bit worried about mine !

According to Tower, it was shipped via USPS on the 21st of last month and no sign of it arriving in the UK yet

The parcel tracking number doesn't actually track the parcel either !!
Old 05-17-2005, 07:38 AM
SIR-MACK

Ghost
I would contact Tower tell them that you have not received it and ask them to track it. The number that you got dose it say at USPS that they have received the package form Tower?

Hope you receive it soon it was a breeze to build.

Little ones are fun to fly!
Kent
Old 05-17-2005, 08:20 AM
ghost123uk

ORIGINAL: SIR-MACK

Ghost
I would contact Tower tell them that you have not received it and ask them to track it. The number that you got dose it say at USPS that they have received the package form Tower?

Hope you receive it soon it was a breeze to build.

Little ones are fun to fly!
Kent
The couriers in the UK say that the tracking number hasn't been registered here, and tower say, and I quote from their email ->

"The number can not be used to see the status of your package. We appreciate your time and your business with us."

I cannot understand how a "tracking number" allocated in the USA cannot be used to track the package whilst it is still in the USA !!

Not sure what to do next...
Old 05-17-2005, 07:54 PM
ericrcpilot
My Feedback: (145)

I believe that the usps tracking number can't be tracked for 30 days after it was shipped. Just something I heard. So don't quote me or get mad if I am incorrect.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:05 PM
jwren00

Finished my little extra yesterday and tried to start the engine today by hand - NOT HAPPENING. I never even got it to pop or anything.

I guess I'll go to the lhs tomorrow after work and pick up a starter. Anybody use the green sullivan one?
Old 05-17-2005, 09:55 PM
GBR2

The USPS "tracking numbers" aren't like those you get from UPS or FedEx. It won't tell you where you package is just when it got picked up and when delivered. The USPS people I think can actually "track" the package with the number (at least better than the consumer can) but that is the extent of it. To a large extent it is almost a waste of time to even have one from the post office. Also an insurance tag number can't be tracked by the consumer but that can be much more precisely tracked by postal officials. Go figure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.