Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

It's over.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 12:30 AM
Mopzilla

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It's over.

Hey guys...

First off.. I want to thank all of you for the great help you've been over the few years I've been here. This group sure is my favorite on RCU. [8D]

I think it's time for me to finish with r/c. In the last months I've started making real cash by jazz drumming.. But R/C has always been a money pit. I'm 18 yrs old, I need good grades in school for my mechanical engineering major, and I need a reliable japanese drum-hauler (can I write that off as a business expense? ), and a fun hobby that pays for itself (drums maintenance is limited to no more than $100 a year). No time for planes. []

So what do I do with all my stuff? Sell it here on RCU or Ebay? You guys want the 31"ws x 7" chord Clark Y 60% ailerons wood sheeted wing I built for my contest entry? let me know..

It's been interesting, new, "", "wow!", and HILARIOUS at times!

Thanks for all the good e-times,
Tony

[email protected]
Old 04-19-2005, 12:45 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: It's over.

You'll be back.

It may be a year or it may be 10 but you'll be back. This is the type of hobby that you don't get out of your system easily once you've been into it to the level that I've seen you at. And whether or not RCU is here to welcome your return I'm sure you'll find a similar group. If there's one thing I know it's that you won't find a more likeable bunch than model builder/fliers. And the 1/2A guys are amongst the cream.

Best of luck with the drumming and grades and whatever else comes your way between now and then. And hey, nothing says you can't come by for a visit now and then. Goodness knows I'm one of the least prolific builders here and they still let ME in...
Old 04-19-2005, 12:46 AM
Darkace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck with the drumming. I cant imagine leaving the hobby. But then im only 15 and have no responsabilities.
Old 04-19-2005, 01:14 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

MOP, hang on to everything, it's not costing you anything, just oil the engines up and put them in baggies. Take the batteries out of your radio, and find a spot for this stuff. Someday you'll be glad you did, who knows, it might save you from having to buy XMAS presents for your son someday! Take care.
Old 04-19-2005, 01:50 AM
Mopzilla

ORIGINAL: BMatthews

You'll be back.

It may be a year or it may be 10 but you'll be back. This is the type of hobby that you don't get out of your system easily once you've been into it to the level that I've seen you at. And whether or not RCU is here to welcome your return I'm sure you'll find a similar group. If there's one thing I know it's that you won't find a more likeable bunch than model builder/fliers. And the 1/2A guys are amongst the cream.

Best of luck with the drumming and grades and whatever else comes your way between now and then. And hey, nothing says you can't come by for a visit now and then. Goodness knows I'm one of the least prolific builders here and they still let ME in...

Thanks for the kind words, Bruce! Yep, I'll be back. I'll continue to lurk.. maybe post once in a while. Thing is, I'm always thinking of something mechanical. so I might just keep a throttled Norvel .061 around for projects. Like a micro nitro car, for those 15-min nitro-smell-thirst-quenching sessions.

Pigg... That's what my drum teacher used to say!! Now I've got hundreds, maybe a few thousands of dollars of music equipment that I don't use!!! haha. I'll probably keep a few things.. there will be other times

Darkace - I know what you mean.. when you start thinkin about college apps, that's when the time becomes tight. Wonder how I'll be in 2 yrs!!

guess I'll talk to ya guys later then!!!
Old 04-19-2005, 02:17 AM
Dukester
My Feedback: (31)

I don't know, I found plenty of free time in college..... AND I got the grades to prove it.....

Good luck,
Duke
Old 04-19-2005, 06:56 AM
Brian Va

If it's any help IMHO I put down my RC stuff for more than decade when I was 24 (roughly) I'm 38 now and have dug out everything now that I have kids. I didn't sell much, I just stopped spending.

However I find that Ebay fetches a better price for used stuff than if you just bought new. I have no idea why but it does.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:10 PM
propbuster
My Feedback: (1)

Mop, As a "retired musician", myself I would hang on to the plane gear. There may come a time in your life when you decide to put down the drums and you'll be wishing you still had all that cool R/C gear to mess around with. I know you're probably thinking that music will be your life forever and that's what I thought too for a long time but that's a really long story I won't go into and I'm glad now that I have R/C planes and such to enjoy and share with my kids. Good luck and take care, let us know how you're doing from time to time, Timothy
Old 04-19-2005, 10:05 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Geez, when I was in university and college (did three years of each back to back) I allways had time to hang out in the hobby shops and build at least one model per year in my apartment...

Good luck in school, it should be the most important thing in your life right now, but remember you still have to unwind and have a little fun too...

AJC
Old 04-19-2005, 11:09 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dukester

I don't know, I found plenty of free time in college..... AND I got the grades to prove it.....

Good luck,
Duke
Was that supposed to help! ? ! ?

If it helps make up your mind Mop the engines I'm using for 1/2A are ones I've had for at LEAST 20 years. I can't say for sure what parts are what but the 20 year old stuff is mixed up with the stuff I've had since I took the hobby up in the mid 60's. And it all still runs fine with a bit of selecting and fitting. So don't sell the engines. Just wash 'em out with some varsol or low odor paint thinner or even WD40 used generously, oil 'em up well with 3in1 and bag them up. They'll be in tip top shape when it comes time to pull them out.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:10 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You're not quitting, you just think you are. Like everone else said, you'll be back someday. It's too bad that we didn't get to see your contest plane finished. I was really looking forward to it.

Good luck with your drumming and school.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:53 AM
flying poodle

You're quitting airplanes to learn to drive a TRAIN????!!??
Old 04-20-2005, 09:11 AM
Dukester
My Feedback: (31)

ORIGINAL: BMatthews
Was that supposed to help! ? ! ?

Think of it more as an object lesson. Screw around in college and you end up like Duke....... [X(]

Stay in school kids!

Duke
Old 04-20-2005, 09:15 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Puppy:

ORIGINAL: flying poodle

You're quitting airplanes to learn to drive a TRAIN????!!??
No. He's planning to be a stationary steam engineer - he'll be taking care of the furnace room in a building somewhere.

Haw.

Bill.

Old 04-20-2005, 09:39 AM
beenie
My Feedback: (9)

I too am a musician, but I play bass-a real instrument
You will be back Mop, I am only 24 and can remember being in your position very vividly. I was all-state 2 years, had music scholarships, made the college Jazz band and Orchestra my senior year in high school. Played 6 or so hours a day. But as has happened to Propbuster, things change or you get sick of sax players. I thought that I would still be playing a lot, at least enough to keep up the chops, but that has not been the case. Don't sell your stuff, you may want it in a year or so. I too had plenty of time to work on R/C stuff and make grades and play music. I also didn't have much of a social life, but who needs that
Good luck with music, it is what I would do if I couldn't do R/C.
Ben
Old 04-20-2005, 12:02 PM
airbatic

Then go away!

Kraus
Old 04-20-2005, 01:45 PM
adaptabl

Good luck. I do feel you will be back. I was flying for 5 years back in 78-82. Then I wanted a car and sold my stuff. Met my wife and had 2 kids, 2 houses,4-5 cars(all the other things that go with being responsable). One day a good friend of mine died at age 38. I decided life is short and it's time to do all the things I enjoy. Now I golf 2 times a week,got back into flying and take 3 vacations a year. Enjoy the flowers along the way on lifes journey, you never know how long it will last.

P.S. My son is now flying and we have a great time together. Now whats better than a nice summer day at the flying field having a family picnic?

Old 04-21-2005, 12:07 PM
dieFluggeister

Hey Mop,
I'll miss ya for now. Give 'em hell kid!

Mike