Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Cox TD Mounting Screws

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Cox TD Mounting Screws

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 06:51 AM
jetpack
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cox TD Mounting Screws

What screw size does an .049/.051 mounting lug take? I would like to be able to use a socket head cap screw with a nut. All I can seem to find to fit is wood screws. I really dont care to be drilling out the lugs to fit a 4/40, or force one through. Any suggestions? Metric? Whats the best way?
Old 04-19-2005, 06:58 AM
DICKEYBIRD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cox TD Mounting Screws

I use the Dave Brown small motor mount, drilled & tapped for 2-56 socket head capscrews. This has worked well for for me.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:01 AM
Red_Bar0n

Hey dude,

I've been having the same problems when some of the guys here suggested wood screws, although our engines are different thee mounting is still the same. all you have to do is add some wood glue to your screws before you insert them then just gently tighten them. You dont want to add too much weight to the front so avoide using metal.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:42 AM
Jim Thomerson

I use 3-48's. 2-56's will work OK as well. If you are using screws rather than bolts, your LHS should have them, but you may need to look in the model railroad section.

Jim
Old 04-21-2005, 10:00 AM
jessiej

3-48s are perfect, but harder to fing than 2-56.

jess
Old 04-21-2005, 10:29 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

I have a number of bags of old stock Perfect brand 3-48 screws and lock nuts.... if someone is having a hard time finding them let me know. I can send you some.

AJC
Old 04-22-2005, 08:27 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://rtlfasteners.com/Merchant2/me...&Store_Code=RF

You need it they got it,,,I bought a lifetime supply of screws for about $40, but most of them are for giveaway prizes at my funfly,,they dont sell the servo screws like you get from futaba, the sell the same size without the built in washer which is better because the "washer" gets in the way when you use them to mount a cox tanked engine...they do sell that type but in socket (allen) head type with the built in washer...real fast service too I got several hundred screws and box containers for my $40 would have cost at least 3 times that from the LHS..check it out..Rog
Old 04-22-2005, 09:15 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I like the #2 socket head wood/sheetmetal screws that you see at the hobby store. They are strong enough to clamp the engine mount, and usually wimpy enough to shear in a crash, instead of a mounting lug.