Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Can i install a larger fuel tank on a cox .049

Old 04-27-2005, 11:21 PM
snowball1288

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Can i install a larger fuel tank on a cox .049

ok so i have a cox .049 baby bee on my skyscooter. I have decided against getting a norvel (too much money to replace an engine that still works.... maybe when this cox dies ill replace it with a norvel).

Anyways, im getting 1.5-2 minute flights, which i understand is normal for these things. I want more time. It has great power and runs quite well right now.

So can i strap on a larger tank? how would i do that?

any help is much appreciated.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:33 PM
burtcs

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Can i install a larger fuel tank on a cox .049

This is easy, yes you can install a Black Widow/Golden Bee/Texaco tank. The Baby Bee tank is 5.1cc's the larger tanks are 8cc's. should give you 3-3 1/2 minutes. But wait there's more, a German outfit called Kavan sells an extension that's about 1/2" longer. It's added to the rear of your regular RV tank. I don't know how big it is looks like maybe 2-3cc's for a bit more flight time. I've used these things and yes they do work. Check with your LHS or eBay.

HTH - Steve B.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:43 PM
snowball1288

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

how bout installing an external tank... a big one. like 1.5 oz or 2 oz. I found a nice sullivan Bullet tank (aerodynamic ). obviously i need to have the origional tank for mounting purposes, but could i hook the two tanks together somehow?
Old 04-28-2005, 12:30 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

All you need to do is buy some SULLIVAN small fuel tubing and get a 1 or 2 oz clunk tank. I think the HAYES 2 oz tank is my favorite. Drill a hole in the side of the COX fuel tank, and run a feed line from the nipple inside the COX tank out to the new tank in the plane. Nothing could be easier or work better. I like to mount the engine low enough, [or tank high enough] so that good fuel draw is a sure thing.
Old 04-28-2005, 01:11 AM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Or even easier, you have two fuel nipples on the engine. Plug one and hook up the tank the the other. Use the vent line on the external tank. Fill both tanks through the blocked off nipple on the engine. Done it and it works! Filling both tanks through the engine's tank will provide an air free line.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:09 PM
Bipe Flyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Both the methods that CP and Ptulmer suggested work well. I prefer the Hayes tanks too. They are very easy to setup and don't have a huge stopper like most other brands.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:17 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Bipe Flyer

Both the methods that CP and Ptulmer suggested work well.
I suppose credit should have been given, but I had actually forgotten about the diagram of yours that I saw until you spoke up![X(]
So I'm not the first one to do it.[sm=lol.gif]
Old 04-28-2005, 06:33 PM
Bipe Flyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That's ok, I'm not the first either.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:45 PM
snowball1288

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

well, thanks guys... i finally got a dubro 2oz tank and hooked it up like ptulmer said, and WHOA!!! its niiiiice. Im getting much longer flights.... my engine wont even stay running for the entire tank! my glow head keeps wiggling loose. What can i do about that? Thread locker? I get the feeling it would burn off...
Old 04-28-2005, 10:51 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Don't use any thread locker! Tightness is what keep things tight. If your engine is vibrating, then either replace the prop or try to balance it. Make sure the engine is mounted securely too. If you cinch it up good, the glow plug shouldn't come loose.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:19 AM
harkin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ok guys, I have followed your directions above and implemented an external fuel tank for longer flights, but I can't seam to get the fuel to pull out of the tank. I have one of the vents plugged on the .049 and the other fuel vent goes to the clunk outlet of the external tank. Your directions previously stated to connect it to the vent side of the external tankbut I can't see how any fuel will be dilivered to the engine from the vent side. Is there something I am missing?
Old 05-06-2005, 02:03 AM
Bipe Flyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

One of the nipple should be connected to the clunk line of the tank, and the other plugged. The vent line on the external tank should be open to the air.
Old 05-07-2005, 01:30 AM
Big Al-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Guys, this is a most informative thread. Apparently it is possible to get a consistent run with an external tank. This is not my experience. For example I put a product engine in a rudder only Jr Falcon with a 2 oz round tank. With the needle set as rich as possible and still maintain level flight, it would gradually lean out and fly great for ¾ tank. Then the fun began, it would quit, surge, quit, etc for several minutes til the tank went dry. Imagine just touching down then wide open for a few seconds then quit, then wide open, etc. NOT an acceptable condition. This was a product engine from a Cox Bushmaster plastic C/L plane from the early 70’s. I finally drilled the crankcase for a pressure tap and then did get consistent runs from start to finish. Maybe those product engines had different timing, venturi size or whatever from the baby bees and that made them more sensitive to fuel draw? I’ve been hesitant to try larger external tanks since that experience. Any comments?
Al
Old 05-07-2005, 04:45 AM
Bipe Flyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

When I run my Rascal 27 on an external .6oz tank with a TeeDee .020 using a PeeWee throttle sleeve I get consistent runs of 15+ minutes and the only indication that it is going to quit is the RPMs go up a for few seconds as the tank goes dry. I had a PeeWee that would run a 1/3oz tank dry, but I had to launch it a bit rich, gain some altitude and then dive to unload the prop and it would run fine until the last minute or so when it would spit and sputter until the tank ran dry. Maybe TeeDees suck more.
Old 05-07-2005, 10:21 AM
muddy69
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Another option is a balloon tank. I have been running all of my cox engines on them with much success.