Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

WHAT A DAY AT THE FIELD!

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

WHAT A DAY AT THE FIELD!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 12:35 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default WHAT A DAY AT THE FIELD!

Today was the marking of the historical confrontation between COMBATPIGG, SCUDRUNNER and his faithful sidekick, MR. CRANKYPANTS. Things could have gotten ugly early on with the clashing of these egos, but we hit it off pretty good, nobody threw any punches all day. Mr CRANKYS' PETROL PATROL plane is the real deal, very clever! His very first scratch built plane. His mind hasn't been polluted yet by all the guys who "know how to do it" and he seems like he is his own man, and this plane reflects that. Very cool, the CASTROL bottle has little slits cut out where those cast ridges are, and ir weighs alot less than you might figure. I flew it and it really looks like a WWII warbird out there. The AP .061 hauls it around, no sweat. I brought out the MUSTANG, and had it dialed in [I thought] before those guys showed up. I took the RX out of it to get SCUDRUNNERs' combat plane dialed in. When those guys arrived, I put the RX back into the MUSTANG, and nothing worked! The crystal had worked loose, lucky me! I wound some tape around it so now only an EXACTO blade could get it out. After a few failed launches with the MUSTANG a light came on and I finally decided to look at what I thought was a trimmed plane, it wasn't. After sitting out in the sun, some left bank got warped into the wing and I also cranked up the aileron throws for more control at launch time. Finally the STANG put on a good show. Then it was time to get SR77 going with combat and he is a natural, killed me before I knew what happened. We flew several matches and had lots of fun at it, and these guys had lots of video camera footage to speak for what we did today, when it all gets edited, it should be something fun to look at. I gave MR CRANKYPANTS complete artistic licence to show all the good, bad, and ugly, so I can't wait to see what "developes"!
Old 05-02-2005, 01:04 AM
crankypants

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WHAT A DAY AT THE FIELD!

WOW im flattered! thanks combatpig. it was good to meet you and pick your brain. ive got the raw footage on the computer...... man that mustang is fast! i enjoyed every second.
i just emailed sr77. i told him that i had to go up the hill to turn around and as i was comming down i saw both combat planes locked in battle .......at eye level! man what a site!
i hope we can all do that again sometime soon.
to everyone else. that mustang is beautiful! it sure is a pleasure to see that thing in action.

crankypants
Old 05-02-2005, 02:06 AM
Japanman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man,envy you guys being able to get together like that. Sounds like you had buckets of fun Wish I could find a fellow flyer who made their own planes here[]

J.M
Old 05-02-2005, 02:09 AM
scudrunner77

What a great day of flying!

First off what treat it was too see Combatpigg's Mustang. It's LOUD, FAST, and GORGEOUS.. I was very impressed. After he flew it he held out his transmitter and asked if we wanted to try... no way- I was still shaking from just watching! Also got to watch his reed valve racer turn some laps...very nice! I'm still in awe that he can keep up with these fast little planes! Good job Piggy!

This was my first try at combat.. wow! Thanks Combatpigg for bringing the planes, and letting me get some experience trading streamers. Your too kind though... I think it should be: I killed you before I knew what happened, and for the record he got me too. I think this just might be the beginning of something much larger. Can you guess what I might be building next? I've got a Big Mig .061 that needs a home. Crankypants says he's in too..... he's already got an idea for a plane. Next time we are at the field we will have to get someone up on the hill with a video camera looking down on the action!
Old 05-02-2005, 02:21 AM
combatpigg

JM, it sure is great when you can find guys who share the same special interests, imagine how much fun those guys will be having at next weekends' funfly in NORTH CAROLINA! It is always even more fun when there is a goal oriented event too, like racing or combat. I got to think that there are plenty of JAPANESE flyers somewhere? Home of the best all around engine company in the world! Of course if I were to go to JAPAN, the language barrier and difficulty getting around would take a lot to overcome.

SCUDRUNNER77 is a blood thirsty killer out there! I'll bet the view looking down from the hill would make for great video! Next time, I'll try to get us going with more identical setups, the action gets better the closer the planes are in performance to each other.
Old 05-02-2005, 03:30 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

So lets see some video!!!
only this time lets go old school and put the video to bangagong!!
Old 05-02-2005, 06:23 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rog, those guys got vid down like four flat tires! Did you see the one they made for the Castrol flyer? The intro still has me laughing!
See you next weekend.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:51 AM
Japanman

Pigg,
If you ever come by Japan you are more than welcome to stay at my place.
you would be suprised at just how easy it is to get around here without a word of Japanese.

Vicman,
you know, I think that all the publicity their plane has generated for Castrol, they should get a bit of thanks in the way of "sponsers" product... if anyone from Castrol is reading this, how about it?

J.M
Old 05-02-2005, 04:16 PM
combatpigg

Thanks for the invite, JM! I think CASTROL should get with the program and shape those caps like spinners[>:]!! You're more than welcome to stay over here anytime too, I'll just set you up a cot next to the lathe
Old 05-02-2005, 05:11 PM
vicman

While were getting all happy here, both yuo guys can bunk here and I will give you a ride to the reedy race.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:52 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like you guys had a blast!

Hopefully you guys and the rest of the Washington crew can make it up to our SMALL event this year. It is on July 16th & 17th,
Old 05-02-2005, 08:19 PM
combatpigg

I'm looking forward to it. How about having a reed valve race? It might actually inspire BRUCE to build a plane!
Old 05-02-2005, 08:36 PM
Japanman

How about having a reed valve race? It might actually inspire BRUCE to build a plane!
.. Yeah but he`d want the props restricted to 8x4 so he can run his texaco!!

J.M
Old 05-02-2005, 08:56 PM
combatpigg

!That's a good one! But you know, what ever the rules are, people have lives to live and other interests and demands on their time, so for the greatest chance of success,[participation] the specs [rules] have to be within the range of the average guy who just wants to dust his model off every month or so and go have a good time.. Have you ever raced a model plane? Don't let this extremely fun thing to do slip past you in your model plane experience with out trying it! It is so exciting that you have to remind your self to breathe during the race! Hopefully you aren't hyperventilating[X(]!! AMA pylon is hectic, there is never a chance all day to just relax and enjoy the proceedings. You are always "on the clock". That's why I like impromptu, unofficial, run it when we feel like it type club racing. Same goes with club combat, we have a .15 diesel club here that runs the show so that a 10 year old girl has a good chance of beating a 30 year old man in his prime. Let me tell you, when you draw a 10 year old girl, you can't win anyway! If you beat her, you get BOOED because you are a bully, and if she kills you, then all you can do is low crawl back to the pits with your tail between your legs!!
Old 05-02-2005, 09:32 PM
vicman

Haw! CP that reminds me when I was in High School wrestling. A buddy of mine drew a girl in the finals. He pinned her out of desparation! Later he admitted he wanted to let her beat him by points so he wouldn't look bad. That was my worst nighmare, I don't know what I would've done. I guess it is like the guys in my club watching my 6yr old son go at it with his Super Stunts. They all gotta go up and do more than the little kid. He wants to go T-6 racing this summer, what am I to do?[8D]
Old 05-02-2005, 09:43 PM
combatpigg

VICMAN, there was a story like that here, in the lightest weight category. It was the first ever match between a boy and girl in high school wrestling and she pinned him. this was 20 years ago. It would be interesting if the news did a follow up story about those two.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:10 PM
vicman

Man I am glad to hail from Michigan! They might be looking for me.[X(] I am waiting for my 20th announcement. I avoided the embarssment from her on the mat in front of everyone else and just married her![sm=bananahead.gif] October will be 18 yrs. Now it seems I live thru the triumphs of a 6yr old and a 19 mo old.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:20 PM
scudrunner77

Man now that I got combat injected into my system you guys are talking about racing. Just what I need...another high.

Bipe Flier is the SMALL event going to host any racing, or combat?? I'll do everything I can to be there...!

Flyinrog- We got great video of Piggy's Mustang and Reed Valve Racer, but no combat. Crankypants got cranky and left...so no one was there to film that. Crankypants should be shipping some Mustang footage to the contest page soon, but I don't know how to get the Reed valve video on the web. If I had my own web sight I would be happy to host it, but know nothing about doing that.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:23 PM
scudrunner77

SCUDRUNNER77 is a blood thirsty killer out there!
sniff...sniff.. I smell bacon!

CP- We thought about using the cap as a spinner, but after cutting it to fit the prop it was too flexible. I'm sure it would have turned into a grenade.
The future of these Castrol bottles might be limited anyways...we save a few each, but we have not seen that style come through our shop for at least six months....
Old 05-02-2005, 11:28 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

We can try some racing, but we can't do combat because the farmer is worried about the cows eating streamers. We can do some fun fly type stuff too like beans in the cup etc.
Old 05-04-2005, 11:06 PM
crankypants

the mustang footage is almost done. should be up by friday! we had 2 cameras trying to lock on to that plane while it was flying so ive been hacking up both films to get the best footage.

we thought about asking our castrol rep for some sponsorship money but we are not sure how that would play out.
the way i see it. it could go one of three ways
1) he loves the idea and cuts us a check = good
2) he laughs at us and walks off = ok and funny
3) three weeks later we get a letter from their attorneys saying remove the name or we sue you = not good

crankypants

Old 05-04-2005, 11:46 PM
combatpigg

MR. CRANKYPANTS! If you had gotten there about a half hour earlier, you could have got footage of an old HOBO offering me a drink of whatever it was he had if I let him fly it! I'll bet this guy lives under the bridge by the river there. He knew that the stuff I had out was .049, said he was a model citizen until he bought a COX ARF back in 1970, and has been in a downward spiral ever since!