Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

combatpigg and the contest plane

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

combatpigg and the contest plane

Old 05-06-2005, 02:55 AM
crankypants

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default combatpigg and the contest plane

the video of combatpigg's mustang is on the contest site. you all need to watch it. that thing is really fast!

CP pm me so we can make arrangements to get you a copy of the high quality version.

crankypants
Old 05-06-2005, 06:09 AM
rrragmanliam
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: combatpigg and the contest plane

Holy smokes CP, that is one Fast plane. You can really hear the prop unload on the Fora. Frankly, tossing somthing that fast for the first time, untrimed with no throttle scares the crap out of me. your a pretty good pilot dude. Nice Job!

Darren
Old 05-06-2005, 07:00 AM
Japanman

Gee C.P,
that thing really goes!
if it was kitted would you rate it as "ideal first aerolon plane" ?

J.M
Old 05-06-2005, 07:45 AM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hoooo Haaaa!!! That thing put a grin on my face just watching the video. That Fora sounded like it was in a CL speed circle when CP was doing laps. Superb.

Bet that thing was a booger to try to film -- unless you had a 17" viewfinder -- compliments to SR and Cranky.

I pay homage to the "Warboar" (spoken while kneeling with arms outstretched). Enough typing -- I gotta' watch it again.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:27 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

WOW! Nice work MR. C.P. & SR77! The difference between handling like a dream , and unlaunchable was pretty slight. The covering had stretched across the gap [TOWERKOTE] on the left aileron which pulled the flap up. Even though the linkage had not changed. I did change the linkage for more aileron throw as well as crank out some of that left roll.

The difference between this plane and the piped GZ planes is like night and day. 11 ozs and tiny VS 17 ozs and larger. This is why I say that for 1/2A RC SPEED a tuned pipe is more of one dimensional V MAX way to go, but for all around sport flying fun, just go with an open exhaust and a 4.2 x 4 APC or MAS 6 x 4 cut down to 4.2" [which is a good rough landing prop].

I sure would like some pylon racing like this going around here! As you can see, it doesn't take anything fancy or home brewed, and a basic sheet wing model builds real easy. With an AME, VA or modified COX, the performance would still be very good

Thanks again for taking the time and going to the trouble MR. C.P.!.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:37 PM
xanaphyst
My Feedback: (17)

What a little ripper that thing is !! As with all things pig related the bottem line is SPEED.....a fine addition to your fleet of unbelievable
models....GREAT JOB !!!

xanaphyst
Old 05-06-2005, 01:09 PM
combatpigg

HI XFIST! No reason why your MICRO DUST won't be doing the same thing too. The old ideas about minimum size for controllability are just that, old ideas. You saw the speed this thing was at on final, that's 124 sq" and 11 ozs coming in. A guy could go even smaller and have good time out there. If I was paying better attention to the planes' trim condition, those bad launches wouldn't have happened, all it takes is a minute before fire up to give it a good lookin' over [ I do it from the rear and sides] to see if it's ready to rock. I'm not a F/F guy, but I have watched them and how they go about their business, and they would get a good laugh at any of us having trouble with a hot plane that is remotely controlled! Imagine letting go of a CYCLON powered F/F ship with no control![X(]
Old 05-06-2005, 02:16 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm impressed, but not surprised. After seeing Piggy's delta last year, I know what he is capable of.

Maybe I should get one of those Fora's for my Kamdax Mig.
Old 05-06-2005, 05:47 PM
flyinrog

CP is the ANNHILATOR that fast? I'm almost done with mine hopefully will getrdone tonight before work..down to the radio install....hope I have some time for practice....Rog

Oh Yeah Crankypants and Scudrunner, AWESOME video....
Old 05-06-2005, 06:29 PM
johnvb-RCU

***UNBELIEVABLE*** [:-]

I'm still reeling from watching that! Good choice of soundtrack too!
Old 05-06-2005, 06:47 PM
xanaphyst
My Feedback: (17)

I'll see if I can dig up that program jeremy sent to me a while back...you record the passes on audio tape and then the program spits out the
speed and RPM...PM me the snail mail and I'll get it off to you....

xanaphyst
Old 05-06-2005, 06:59 PM
combatpigg

Rog, before I picked up some of those product engines, I was down to ZERO 100% healthy COX engines. Once I got a couple of good runners, and with the talk about a reed valve race, that's when I decided to build the ANNHILATOR. The ANNHILATOR is kind of fast with a bone stock reedy that is running a 4.2x4 APC. My best reedie turns over 24,000 with the 4 pitch prop, so it is running in the 90's at least. SCUDRUNNER got some video of it, but in a couple of days you guys are gonna see a pretty good show put on by TIM and PATRICK with similar power and airframes. If you can't get the plane to lay in the groove for 10 laps, then you have to spend the time to fine tune the trim and controls to suit your style. GOOD LUCK at the big race!!!

BTW, if whoever ends up with the prize plane wants to tear that engine off and stick on a hot TD, that wouldn't hurt my feelings.
Old 05-06-2005, 07:29 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow... I'm speechless. That thing ROCKS... even harder then the background music

two thumbs up from this guy!

AJC
Old 05-06-2005, 07:38 PM
Dr.Watson

where is the video posted?? im a newbie (like you couldn't tell!)
Old 05-06-2005, 07:55 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In the 1/2A contest site: http://www.donatelli.net/contest

There are 3 years of contest planes -- some real primo stuff. The video is in CombatPigg's entry under the 2005 contest listing.

It is a must see.
Old 05-06-2005, 08:29 PM
Dr.Watson

[X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][X(] THAT WAS AWSOME!!! i just hope the Piper cub electric that i converted to a cox killer bee isn't that fast! im not htat good yet!
Old 05-06-2005, 08:52 PM
combatpigg

XFIST, I forgot about that program! So all I have to do is fly it within 5 feet of the guy holding the microphone?

AJ, the controlline and freeflight guys have been hogging all the fun long enough. Just don't tell GEORGE CLEVELAND that you'll be using the FORA for RC, or he won't sell it to ya.

I don't have sound on my computer yet[]!

LOSI, the KILLERBEE is a great engine, just make sure to use castor oil in the fuel or you will ruin it.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:32 PM
Japanman

XFIST, I forgot about that program! So all I have to do is fly it within 5 feet of the guy holding the microphone?
...so... any volunteers to stand still with a mic while C.P trys to get within 5 feet of you at 150mph? I bet the Fora doing more than 36K would do a neat fringe

J.M
Old 05-06-2005, 11:39 PM
scudrunner77

How about if I lay in the tall grass and hold the mic up in the air...wouldn't that be a sight![:-] Would have to bring some extra shorts too.....
Old 05-06-2005, 11:50 PM
scudrunner77

The technique that works for me when filming these speedy little planes is to use the small back and white view finder with my right eye but also keep my left eye open. My brain superimposes the color image from left eye over the view finder, which just turns into a gray square. And if that does not work just point at the sound of the engine! It is very hard to see anything with the flip out LCD display out in the sun. I get a kick out of going home and seeing what I captured...
Old 05-06-2005, 11:57 PM
crankypants

thanks. it was a pleasure to make that for CP and a thanks goes out to bipe flyer for hosting the video and helping me get it there.
the full 20 mb version is a ton beter cause you can blow it up full screen without any distortion.

i dont like to call them bad launches. i like to think of them as test crashes.

crankypants
Old 05-09-2005, 01:41 PM
Dr.Watson

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

LOSI, the KILLERBEE is a great engine, just make sure to use castor oil in the fuel or you will ruin it.
Thanks for the tip! what percent of nitro and oil should i run through it? also where can i get castor oil?

P.S. Crankypants, where is Kent Washington? Combatpigg, where is arlington? i live in Colville Washington; about an hour and a half north of Spokane
Old 05-09-2005, 01:48 PM
combatpigg

15% to 30% nitro and many hobby stores sell quarts of castor. When I buy a gallon of fuel, I top it off with castor and shake it up. Sig sells it. Tower might carry it? Arlington is about 50 miles north of SEATTLE. Kent is about 15 miles south of SEATTLE.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:16 PM
Dr.Watson

thanks for the advice!
Old 05-09-2005, 07:07 PM
matchlessaero

I was going to say something, but all I could come up with was ----------[X(]

If someone can get me a med res version of that vid without the music, I should be able to get some rough performance numbers off it.... (I'll have to install the doppler stuff on my new puter first...)

Oh yeah, CP, did I tell ya I picked up a GZ at Toledo....? I think what you did in that vid was throw down the gauntlet... hmmmmmm

One other thing.... we really need to talk about launch technique.....LOLOLOLOLOL (just ribbing ya)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.