Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Roger Dodger Build

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 07:39 AM
jiveturkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rodger Dodger Build

SWEET MOTHER OF ORGANIZED CLEANLINESS!!! Not only a really nice Aeroplane, but hard to believe how clean while you build
Old 09-10-2005, 09:25 AM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

ORIGINAL: Dsegal

I have been inspired by your building thread and have been spending time studying the plans. Unfortunately not everything is clearly marked and there is room for confusion.

> I omitted the 1/32" ply fuselage doublers behind the wing for now. <
Actually, this is not a little plywood triangular gusset but a continuous sheet of plywood that extends from aft of the wing all the way to the nose. That is what "1/32 ply doublers to here" means. I checked with Sarpolus on this. He also suggests some lightening holes in the plywood

No specs are given for the top and bottom of the fuselage. The plan should have been marked 3/32" sheet on top and 1/16" sheet on the bottom.

The drawing of the alternate version tail with operating rudder does not fit onto the original fuselage as drawn. It is larger overall the non-moving rudder and should just be fudged to fit.

Thanks for all of the great detailed information you have provided.
Thanks! There's a couple things that aren't too well marked as you said, and I agree, sometimes it could get confusing. I have a bad habit of changing things anyway, have never built anything exactly per the plans.
I understood the ply doublers, but took a little liberty on the fuselage construction, changing from the full ply doublers to the triangle braces. If the full ply doublers are used, then yes, definitely it should have lightening holes. My main concern was the wing hold-down plate, and bracing that to withstand my sometimes too "aggressive" flying style. The balsa I used isn't the greatest, but I did manage to find some medium hard to do the sides with. That combined with slightly lighter weight(I was hoping) should do the trick. So far, so good. I just used what I had on hand for materials, wanted to minimize trips to the LHS as much as possible.
I don't recall having any issues with the rudder mating to the fuselage, but may have just done a "sandpaper adjustment" without realizing it. The material used top and bottom of the fuse shouldn't matter too much, as long as something is there to keep it rigid. I'll annotate my plans with your observations when I get home. Thanks again! [8D]
Old 09-10-2005, 09:32 AM
cwrr5

ORIGINAL: jiveturkey

SWEET MOTHER OF ORGANIZED CLEANLINESS!!! Not only a really nice Aeroplane, but hard to believe how clean while you build
HA! Fooled you.... you're just seeing the very tip-top of the pile in the pictures! There's actually several feet of mess underneath!

Seriously, I have a very interested two-year old who is into everything, so at a minimum everything that could be dangerous has to be put away out of reach when not in use. Also, projects seem to go together better and easier when the shop is neat and somewhat organized.

It also looks better in the pictures....
Old 12-04-2005, 09:16 PM
FlyBlueSkies
My Feedback: (2)

Very Nice Build!

Can you tell me what kind of a motor you're using? It looks like a Himax, but I can't tell for sure. I'm thinking of buying a brushless motor and have seen several good deals at North East Sail. Most notably, the Himax brushless and gearbox.

Anyway, great build!
Old 01-09-2006, 06:48 AM
cwrr5

Thanks.

It's a Himax 2025 at 4200 Kv (too much), with the 62T gear (6:1 gear ratio I think), 9x6 APC E-prop. Using 3 cell Thunder Power 1360mah Lipos.
If I was to do it again, I'd probably use the Himax 2015, or a 370/400 outrunner.