Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

the most unorganized funfly in history

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

the most unorganized funfly in history

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 03:28 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default the most unorganized funfly in history

was still a blast!!!I got there first and promptly trashed my little stick,lost it in the 08:00 sun,heard it hit but didnt see it!..was gonna maiden my contest plane but cracked the tail,which couldve been fixed but, after I cranked up the engine it worked itself loose from the motor mount...on to the Scooter,,it flew but wouldnt turn left, Raymond to the rescue with an improvised trim tab and voila it flew 4 times just fine ..I didnt get to finish my reedy racer,but I wasnt alone there,,by the time we got around to doing the race there were only 2 planes left to compete!!REEDY RACE POSTPONED TILL THE NEXT MEET met PTulmer, he won a prize for driving the longest distance,,and Propbuster,and Piper Chuck there was the regulars Tim W.,Fireman, BobHH, Raymond, Vicman, Bailey showed up too, had several visitors this time too,,it was a great meet ,I burned the hotdogs good this time,hey it was a new grill,..because of Norvel/Cox problems (pick your team here) hardly anything was flying at the end of the day...Jboy and Deadstick were AWOL this time, ..still a great meet and a great bunch of guys makes the day fly by even if you've been up 24 hours.....Rog

Oh and Bob NICE job on the throphys even though you still have them till the next meet,,they looked great!!
Old 05-07-2005, 08:26 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: the most unorganized funfly in history

OOOHHHH the carnage
Rog, Propbuster and I had a wonderful time! I will do my best to make the June event.

BTW you guys got my 1/2A cherry today. That wing jobby was the first time I actually flew one of these things! All the other small stuff has been lekky. Mind you I have built a few but never flew them.

BTW not to fear I already cut out a new F-18 and one for Propbuster too.

Thanks for a great day!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97918.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	268401   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79422.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	268402  
Old 05-07-2005, 09:00 PM
fireman7875
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Despite all the engine trouble it really was a great day! My engines were running great at first then my TD .049 started acting up and would run worth crap! I guess it had been hanging around the other stubborn engines too long! Oh well, had lots of fun and met some new friends. Thanks to all!

Brian
Old 05-07-2005, 09:02 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

It was fun even though my plane was a bit oversized. I guess it's a good thing I kept the other two in the car. For a fee I'll NOT post videos (or pics) of some of the more "memorable" moments. Anyone interested in keeping their activities offline, PM me for payment info

Just kidding, I'll see if I have time to get a few pics downloaded and perhaps some clips online somewhere. Thanks for orgzanizing it Rog.
Old 05-07-2005, 09:12 PM
vicman

LOL how much do I owe Chuck? If everone else has as big a laugh as I did when the deed was complete I will be a happy man. It was great to see you again!
Old 05-08-2005, 12:17 AM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

Well guys had a great time even though we did not get the race off. Hopefully next meet we will have a few more spare racers. I was impressed with Tim racers speed, Vicman's wingless wonder, Brian's Baby Stick flew great, and PTulmer delta was a great looking bird. I think Raymond deserves the award for installing the most engines in one day on his Sharkface!! He had a box of engines he was going through. Amazing it seems everyone has running issues with these little engines today.

I had some sort of radio issue with the Stingray delta which caused it to barrel roll into the turf. Tough little bird though no damage but a nicked prop and small dent in nose. First I though of interference but thinking about it on the was home I think I may have a servo issue with the eleverons seeing how that maneuver could not be performed with the mixing.

Did have some problem running the Norvel AME on bladder. Anyone running one of these? The needle is very sensitive and goes rich in the air.

Still I had a great time and good to see all the guys again. Until next time!!! Thanks Rog for the hot dogs!!

Bob Harris
Early RC Models
www.earlyrcmodels.com
Old 05-08-2005, 10:33 AM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

What another great day flying with the Carolina 1/2a Crew. It was great to meet Vic, Propbuster and Piper Chuck for the first time. I really was digging Vic's tail-less ship, Chuck had a tight little .15 sized job that looked really nice. Prop brought his ACE High but the wind was up again so it keep it grounded. Sorry to have missed Dan and John this time around[] I had brought a plane I cobbed together just the night before( I was up till 2a.m.) to run my Sniper DR .049 on but the ballon tank just was being a P.I.T.A. so it never got into the air. I guess I'll try a Fuji tank on it next. I gave the sheet wing pylon racer a few trim throws and it seemed it would fly under power. Fired up the stock reedie and let her go.....the darn thing really flew well. No lack of speed even with the Cox 6x3 prop.. I would say close to 45mph or so. At the weight of 10.5oz's the wind was having it's way with it alittle but it will be a down right good plane for the pylon event. I guess even with Patrick's and CombatPigg's little cooked up idea to out do me on the Outlaw raceeven with all the trash talk Patrick was just to..to... how do I say CHICKEN to step to the plate I guess the story goes he crashed his sheet reacer the day before...right! No Killer Buzz to spank...no Mustang to roast....CLUCK..CLUCK Patrick did have his Lil' Streak and it was really nice. He did ask if I wanted to fly it but being green on the stick s I was CHICKEN to wreck it on him.

I don't know about the other guys but I have a real nice sun burn on me!!!

Later,
Tim
Old 05-08-2005, 11:26 AM
piper_chuck

I got out the camera, discovered I did not take enough pictures. I uploaded the only two I feel are fit to print. One is of Vic after he just lost a dear friend. Too bad I didn't have my pipes with me, a round of Amazing Grace might have helped ease Vic's loss. It's a pity, the plane flew great. After looking at the picture I can't tell if he's having a moment of silence, or whether he's thinking "I'm sure it will still fly". After all, it sure looks like he's reaching for the sticks.

The other shows Bob's always impressive lineup of planes.

Tim, it was nice to meet you. Your pylon racer was sweet. Makes me wonder if I should build one. The plane I had with me was a Pilot Hyde Away 15. I included a pic in case people want to see it. Thanks for the complement. I'm still working on getting it trimmed out and breaking in the engine. It's a great little throw in the trunk plane. Thanks to Rog for tolerating my "giant scale" at the 1/2a fly in.

I just took a look at the video. Looks like I got some usable footage, and lots of sky. Not sure if I'll be able to transfer to the computer before I go away. I'll post if I can.

Name:	Qo41199.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	268652   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50433.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	268653   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot47850.jpg
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	268654  
Old 05-08-2005, 12:48 PM
vicman

All I needed was a battery powered Hot melt glue gun![sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 05-08-2005, 06:45 PM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Rog, Once again you have proven to be a gracious host. I'm sure you know how much we appreciate you and the BARKS club holding these events for us. Please pass along our thanks to your fellow club members.

The photo of Vic is a classic! Chuck, you caught a moment that we can all identify with.

As for the engine 'situation', I think reed-valve engines know that I hate them. That's OK as long as my TD's and Norvel's continue to run as well as they always have - and did yesterday too. Woo hoo.

Re: the next race day. I hereby propose two, two, two events in one day. First, go ahead and try to get a handful of reed-valve engines running at the same time (a feat I WILL galdly pay money to see), and an 'open' event for TD's and Norvel's (in order to include Brian's 074, I'd put the limit there - hey, its all for fun right?). The three deltas (Bob's, PT's and mine) that flew yesterday all did very well (I thought but then I might be prejuduced). If I played with the aileron end-points on mine I would think I could corner tight enough to give Bob's checkerboard screamer a decent race. Also, the three versions of Bob's new Stick design that flew yesterday would also be top notch candidates for an 'open' race. That's six planes with engines that would start and run right there . I further propose that we offer no prizes or declare a winner for the open race - pure for-fun only.

FWIW, I brought my combat helmet but I noticed that nobody else wore one either. If they are required I will put mine on but I would just as gladly leave it in the car (just my opinion). But I am a big fan of spotters - particularly for combat and racing. At one point yesterday Vic was spotting for me and as a I could hear a model approach along the pilot's line he told me what was happening and got ready to move me if it became necessary. Nothing happened and the plane never even came close but having him there watching (and lavishly praising my outstanding piloting ability - which was only natural) made me feel a lot more comfortable. This is a good idea for our next race - maybe we could talk about this and other procedures at a pilot's meeting.

On the reed-valve side, I know that there is a version of CP's racer in the future for me (I just new I'd like any design of his) - maybe not in time for the June-do but not too far down the pike. The only change I would make is for tank-mounted engines as opposed to the much more elegant built-in tank of his.

I thought it might be interesting of Vic provided us with some details on his 'plane compacting' technique. Alas, I didn't see it but I believe his explanation included something about doing high-speed, consecutive rolls on the deck. Why is it that I always miss "the good stuff"?

As always, its good to see the group together again. But we do tend to stand around and swap li..s, I mean share valuable information more than we fly each time we get together.

Thanks Rog and the rest of the C-1/2A-Cers. I'm planning for June already.
Old 05-08-2005, 07:08 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

DUDES! That was FUN. We could have put together a great crash video! But the hours you guys spent trying to crank the Cox engines would have to be cut out.
I tried to get Tim to bolt my engine on his plane to see how it would go, but like trying to get him to fly the Lil Streak, he chickened out.
The biggest coincidence of the day? Bob's delta spiraled in right after mine floated into a tree. The coincidence? Both survived without a scratch!
And yes Tim, I really did smack the h$ll out of the "Killer Buzz" the day before. The good news out of it was that the "glue joint spar" is going to be my method of making those wings forever. A little work and it'll be flying again. No biggy, just ran out of time. Your day is coming though! BTW, your sheet wing racer was cool as hell. Seemed like it would have been very competitive. I doubt I'll make it back this year, but who knows!
Old 05-08-2005, 08:37 PM
vicman

Raymond, I was only grabbing you to pull you on top of me in case he got too close[sm=stupid.gif]!
The pic does show a nice compact impact. When we were cutting Propbuster's he was already plotting how to mount his e-z start on the back. I guess no lekky convert there. I Raymond's delta design and may need to get some dimensions from you and smoke your slow butt in June!

I am a blessed man to have met so many great friends in one place. Thank you.
Old 05-08-2005, 08:43 PM
flyinrog

Patrick,,great that you could make it, I know its a long haul but your definitly invited to any event us carolina guys have...Ray, I will pass along the thanks to the club,,I got pics on a cd today and there were pics from last year that had Deadstick, Jboy and Prole on it and about 15 pics from yesterday..Raymond I would love to see a dozen or so 1/2a planes in the air at the same time from all of us...but we better do it after the reedy race,,and since some of ya'll had cox problems and some of you had norvel problems, perhaps we should go with any brand of .049 your comfortable with for the pylon race, I will talk to Bob more about this,we did briefly discuss it,not sure he's gonna come around though...Rog
Old 05-08-2005, 09:01 PM
vicman

I will also try to get airborne to spot us a few more goodies. If I remember next time I am in there I will tell him to get some Byron Fuel. Byron is a proud sponsor of most fun-flys. One of the historical members of my club may join us too. He was verrry interested when I was telling him about how much fun I had yesterday.

BTW I got so burned out on flying planes yesterday I did this today with Revver Brother #41.5.

Name:	Mk25890.jpg
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	268903   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30043.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	268904  
Old 05-08-2005, 10:26 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

All right, a few more minutes to write before hitting the road again. (two weeks vacation!)
Vic, thanks for the loan of the servo! It would have been a total bust if you hadn't been on hand. I was close to tears when you came to the rescue. No more cheap servos for me![:'(] It's making it's way home. You left before I knew it. All you guys so closely resembled your online persona that I felt like I was hanging out with people I've known for years. (Vic really is a little crazy!)
Raymond, was that you I gave a close haircut? I turned down the throws to go around the poles and it caught up to me one time close to the ground.[sm=stupid.gif]
Rog, thanks for the great launches! I'll have more stuff to fly next time I'm there, promise! Remind me to send this stuff before your next fly-in. It'll go to waste if you don't use it!
Old 05-09-2005, 06:08 AM
vicman

(Vic really is a little crazy!)
Hey! I resemble that remark![sm=spinnyeyes.gif] Not worried about the servo. I got more.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:05 AM
Raymond LeFlyr

Vic,

Two things I forgot:

T1, To get the name of your friend at Airborn Hobbies so I can write a thank-you note for the wing rack. The mailing address, website, birthday, and mother's maiden name too - plus the name of his bank.

T2, You left a receiver battery pack on my charger. I won't expect you to reimburse me for the amps it sucked out of my van battery but I have made a mental note to help you remember to go home with everything you came with - even if they are in smaller pieces (heh, heh, heh).

T3, Tim W. has your servo and battery pack and said he would mail them to you.

T4, I just copied the flate-plate delta notes for you. I will put them in the mail sometime between tomorrow and June 1st.

T5, let me know when its time to have lunch again. I'll probably have recovered from Rog's hotdogs by then .
Old 05-09-2005, 12:13 PM
piper_chuck

ORIGINAL: Raymond LeFlyr
T5, let me know when its time to have lunch again. I'll probably have recovered from Rog's hotdogs by then .
You've heard of Black and Tan beer, right? Well, these were Black and Red hot dogs. In spite of the complaints, it seems we all ate them.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:20 PM
vicman

Did the other battery charge up ok? All the leave behinds were semi intentional.[8D] I had no intention of having Patrick pull the servo from his plane and end his day just so I could go home. [:'(]I left the batt with you to make sure you had at least one good one. I figured it would give me a good reason to get over there a little sooner[sm=thumbup.gif]. Tim W already told me he had the stuff and asked for my address, I told him to hold it so we could have an emergency flight session one day when I am in Concord, or at least have lunch togeather.
There was a card for Airborne Hobbies stapled to all the wing rack bags. Incase you tore into it like a crazed man his name is Chris Amell, Airborne Hobbies, 828-325-5861.

You've heard of Black and Tan beer, right? Well, these were Black and Red hot dogs. In spite of the complaints, it seems we all ate them.
Shoot, I asked him to heat up the second pack! Maybe thats whats wrong with me
Old 05-09-2005, 02:20 PM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Raymond,

I know you have brought the Blitz Delta with you before but for some reaon I don't remember seeing it fly till this past weekend. The thing really hauled the mail! Is it an .049 or .61 on it? I have 2 Norvels here NIB, one a Big Mig and the other an older AME but they both are C/L versions[]

Rog,

That Scooter really looked nice in the air, very classic looking!

Patrick,

Out of the 4 reedies you took home I forgot to say that 2 will need new heads it looked to me. The one with a hex prop driver has a TD cylinder on it in case you didn't know already.

Well...I got the planes cleaned up last night. I am going to leave them alone of alittle while. I realized Saturday night just how much airplane "stuff" I have laying around. I have a full sized paper box filled to the top with used Cox parts! This was just the parts I pulled off my desk and out from under my bed and out of the closet and from off top of the TV center etc! That's not even the stuff out in my shop. Besides if I don't mess with them then I will have them for the next event! When is the next one?

LAter,
Tim
Old 05-09-2005, 03:58 PM
Raymond LeFlyr

Vic,

Duh, yes I did see the business card on the wing rack. I wrote Chris a thank-you note already.

The second battery didn't finish the charge before I gave it to Tim.

Did it sound like I was whining about the hotdogs? I only meant that I had eaten too many of them - because Rog insisted of course.

Tim,

The Blitz has a Big Mig attached to the whirly-twirly-roundy thing in front. I had a Black Widow in it to start but I wanted a throttle to make landing easier. It turned out that the engine swap brought the model to another level of performance. I got the drawings from one of the guys who is coming down from Canada to Bob's Antique bash on 21-22.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:07 PM
vicman

Anyone going to Nall?
Old 05-09-2005, 05:48 PM
flyinrog

Tim, the next flyin here is June 18th at the Snowcamp field....Rog

first is Bobs antique flyin on May 21 & 22 at Holly Springs...I'm gonna try and make that one too...
Old 05-09-2005, 08:13 PM
propbuster

Hey All, Just wanted to say I had a great time at the fun fly! It's good to have met you guys in person finally. I'd love to make the next one in June and maybe by then I'll have maidened my reedy racer/contest plane and will join you guys in the air! After folding the wing on my first motor glider in gusty wind, I was a little hesitant to make a repeat performance on Saturday. Once again I had a great time and look foward to the next one