Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

82 MPH!! Radar Guns and Half-A's......

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

82 MPH!! Radar Guns and Half-A's......

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2002, 11:30 PM
matchlessaero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 82 MPH!! Radar Guns and Half-A's......

...... don't mix very easily!!!

Took my little Caliente to the Propbuster's fly-in this weekend (same one Dickeybird took his cool pics at)
I flew it early on, but just could not get a good solid needle out of my Zeus, so I decided to try a Cox engine I built out of parts....
The engine has a n.o.s. crankshaft and cylinder, new carb body, turned venturi, and a Nelson plug adapter head. All of this was capped off by a red anodized Cox spinner (just looked so cool with the red airplane

In the morning, I started her, tuned, and got 22,800 out of her on the ground. On launch, the engine really did not unload like my Zeus does, but at that RPM on a Cox, I really did not want it to. Engine ran solid as a rock and hauled the little thing around with authority. It was extremely fast (but noticeably slow than with the Zeus) and to get a solid run it was worth it.

Later in the afternoon, my buddy showed up with his radar gun. I started the Cox back up, but could not get the needle quite right, and launched it rich(my fault, not the engine's). I guess that while running rich, the engine was probably turning 21,000. Figuring I had nothing to lose, I brought the plane across the field, engine sputtering and all. We tried several times to get the plane on the gun, and finally on the 4th try, I got it ---82 miles per hour in straight and level flight (not in a dive).

So there ya have it. 82MPH out of a Cox .049!!!!! Not bad . I have since replaced the needle assembly with a Kirn needle assy in an effort to overcome my needle setting disability... I believe with this needle, I can get the airplane into the air at 22,800/23 again and get 84-86mph without much of a problem.

I am still trying to get the Zeus to run consistently. When it runs consistently, It turns the prop that I ran on my Cox yesterday at approx 26,000 rpms(and unloads in the air), So maybe 90 MPH is possible.

I am not completely sure how much I trust the radar gun, but I will take that number over what I had before which was nothing!!!!
Old 10-01-2002, 12:34 PM
2fast4u
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok Matchless, one simple question.......Why not try a Norvel? They are so consistant and easy to deal with, and I think that a little nudge from you could put Dickeybird over the edge.
Old 10-03-2002, 02:11 AM
fastlash
My Feedback: (7)

Default 82 mph

stick with the cox, just pour in 80% nitro, get it on the gun, and at the end of your speed run, have some one there with a catchers mit, to catch the con rod as it exits the engine, replace and retry
Old 10-03-2002, 10:52 PM
matchlessaero

Default Ahhhhh Darth 2fast.......

...........You and the other Norvelians may tempt me with the power of the Darkside, but you must be stronger than that.
The power of the Coxi knighthood is strong within me. Additionally, I am surrounded by other strong Coxi Knights such as OB1DickeyBird, and the Spindoctor!!!!!!!! They have helped me to master the ways of the TeeDee

Truth be told, the inconsistent, frustrating engine I pulled off of the Caliente just before making this run was made in the same factory as your Norvels........

hehehehe
Old 10-04-2002, 10:55 AM
Jeff Leavitt

Hi Guys,

Methinks the best engine out there is the one that works for you! A Cox in good hands has never been short on power, IMHO they will pull more prop than any of the other .049's, I just couldn't keep 'em together. Rods, cranks, etc. 82 MPH is among the top tier of 1/2a racers in the country, If this guy shows up at your race you better be on your toes! Good job Matchless....
Old 10-05-2002, 01:15 AM
fastlash

Default to norvel

To Norvel or not to Novel, that is the question? Tis it nobler to switch or not to switch. be it in the mind of a cox man or not? Ah to H*ll with it put a big block chevy on the nose of it!!!! now how do I hand launch it???
Old 10-05-2002, 01:36 AM
Duane-RCU

Ah to H*ll with it put a big block chevy on the nose of it!!!! now how do I hand launch it???

Oh boy! Might as well put a Testors engine on it...Sorry, I could not help myself, being a Cox and Ford lover. Chevys are better for marine use, and not the power plant either! (boat anchors) Don't take me seriously, the drag racing boards I look at are kind of slow right now
Old 10-05-2002, 05:29 AM
fastlash

Default ford

Ford!!! whats a Ford??? Oh yea I heard theres a few guys still living in the dark ages, back when they had this thing called a mustang, but what the heck, some guys are still combing there hair with Dixie peach in a pompadour, and cruising the high school for the daughter's of there friends, ford and chevy war lives on !!!!!
Old 10-05-2002, 01:50 PM
Duane-RCU

Uhhh...RATS!! I have no idea what to say after that one! I guess I lose, I'm going to the hobby shop to check out Norvels today, then get a For Sale sign for the Mustang!
Old 10-20-2002, 06:00 PM
matchlessaero

Default Here is the engine that pulled.....

the Caliente to 82 MPH....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	31508_1630.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	17961