Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Mini Funtana with Saito 30 Conversion

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Mini Funtana with Saito 30 Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 10:15 PM
Invertedflyby
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mini Funtana with Saito 30 Conversion

I finished my addition to the growing list of this popular conversion last night. All up weight is 30.7 oz. (plus whatever 4 fluid oz of fuel weighs) Not too bad to have a four stroke plane come in under 2lbs! I think it could be made a little bit lighter but I wasn't going to go to the extra trouble. I'm going to attempt to post some photos, hopefully they'll come out. Here is the equipment I used:

Saito 30
Dave Brown motor mount
FMA M5 Receiver
HS-81s on elevator and rudder
HS-55s on ailerons and throttle
360mah Nimh
MPI All in one switch/charge jack/batt monitor
Sullivan 4oz Fuel Tank

I used 1/8 plywood glued to the stock firewall for reinforcement. I cut the motor mount so the engine could slide further back and bump the firewall then I gouged an area out of the firewall so the engine sits even further back, but did not go through the firewall so no fuel should get in. Then I covered the whole front with epoxy to fuel proof it. The HS-81s in the tail and having the switch where it is in the photo, with the battery right on top of that, made it balance right on the money with the wing in the forward position. I wanted to use an 11x4 prop but it wouldn't fit the spinner I bought so I bought a 10x4 MA. Then I got home today and the prop is too thick for the spinner so I will have to do something different. I would like a 1.5 inch 3 blade spinner and prop to go with it, but they don't make those.

I haven't run the engine yet (bought it used, it's already broken in) so I don't know what rpm's it turns. It should run about 15 minutes of 4oz of fuel. I still have to adjust the control throws some more. I think I need some longer servo arms to get more throw on high rates. I have been busy lately and probably won't fly it for a while so don't ask how it flies unless it's been a month or so then feel free. Believe me as soon as I fly it I will post the report here to let everyone know how it does. Sorry if it's too many photos.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27216.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	270695   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92849.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	270696   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af90002.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	270697   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sl27590.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	270698  
Old 05-12-2005, 10:22 PM
Invertedflyby

Default RE: Mini Funtana with Saito 30 Conversion

Ok you can't put too may pics. Here are some more.

Name:	Om32265.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	270704   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47158.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	270705   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo30157.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	270706   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uo35576.jpg
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	270707  
Old 05-12-2005, 10:30 PM
Invertedflyby

More

Name:	Ca80463.jpg
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	270714   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn39797.jpg
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	270715   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze86900.jpg
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	270716   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fy72029.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	270717  
Old 05-12-2005, 10:59 PM
Dukester
My Feedback: (31)

On control throws, the elevator and rudder aren't too bad even with high throws. However on the recommended max 3d throws the ailerons are something wild. I would make sure to use the recommended low rates for your first flights.

Duke
Old 05-13-2005, 12:09 AM
Invertedflyby

Yes I plan on using Dual Rates. I was trying to get the rates listed in the book but I am getting nowhere near the high rates right now. Only thing left to do is use the inside hole on the control surface horn and if that doesn't do it find some bigger servo arms.
Old 05-13-2005, 06:22 AM
Inverticle

That looks awesome! You have to let us know how it flies! If it does well I might just have to do the same thing myself. Maybe with the Mini 540 Edge.
Old 05-13-2005, 06:34 AM
RhyanO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What size 4-stroke are you using in the mini-funtana?
Old 05-13-2005, 08:28 AM
Invertedflyby

I was sitting here thinking of a creative way to answer that last question, since the answer is in the subject line of this thread and in the body of the thread. It's not even buried in a paragraph it's in the list of equipment. So I looked at other posts by the same user to see if they were in the same vein. This was posted in another thread about 6 minutes earlier:

I like it more alone at the field. I enjoy having a few cold ones while im flying. The AMA freaks at our field get all jazzed up when I have an open beer next to me field box. So when I get out there alone I can have a few beers, fly my plane, sometimes I even bring along my little charcoal grill and fry up a few brats for lunch.

Anyone want to join me... beer, brats, flying. Nothing better
It's a .30 size four stroke.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:24 AM
Inverticle

[sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif]
Old 05-14-2005, 08:31 PM
Invertedflyby

Thanks inverticle. I just checked out that Mini 540 Edge, it looks good. That would be cool with a glow engine, let us know if you make one.

I ran the engine yesterday and it would not run right, I spent almost an hour trying to get it to run good and then it just quit running alltogether. Last night I adjusted the valves and reset the small needle. When I tried it today I noticed the gas tank had a leak on the top and I'm almost sure that's what the problem was. It was right at the top where I had to bend it a little to get it in, I guess I trial fitted it one too many times. So I went to the hobby shop and got a 2 oz tank, and a spinner that will work. A 3oz tank would be perfect but they didn't have any. I'm thinking it will only fly for about 6 minutes now. I reweighed it and it's now 852 grams or 30.05 oz. If anyone decides to build one of these I'm almost sure it could be built at 27-28 oz. Here are some things I could have done to take weight off of mine.

Go with a smaller switch, or no switch at all, no charging jack, or onboard voltmeter
HS-55s all the way around instead of the two 81s in the tail.
A smaller battery
Smaller guage servo wire extension and y-harness for the ailerons (the one I have is huge)
A smaller receiver, maybe a JR 610UL or Berg. The FMA I'm using weighs 10 grams.

I might get to fly it tomorrow.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:33 AM
flyswatter

Great looking plane. Really want to hear your flying experience with it. I bet flies great. I've got a Saito 30 - it is tempting!
Old 05-16-2005, 02:44 PM
tramsay

I have been lusting after one of those mini funtana's for a while now...never considered making it a glow. Really looking forward to hear how she flys.

cheers!
~Tip
Old 05-16-2005, 11:03 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: flyswatter

Great looking plane. Really want to hear your flying experience with it. I bet flies great. I've got a Saito 30 - it is tempting!
If you'd quit banging up your Ugly Bug, it would keep flying. These conversions sure are tempting though. It's amazing to me that we're converting electrics to glow now. Just a year or two ago it was the other way around!
Old 05-17-2005, 12:54 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

You are going to want a bigger tank. I just installed a saito .30 in a Polks DR1 and I am using a 4 oz tank. It is only good for about 5 minutes. I have been leaving it a little rich but I do not expect to get much more. Those saito's are thirsty. Even the little ones. My engine runs great. I have it vented uniflow as well.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:19 PM
Invertedflyby

Thanks for the compliment. Hopefully I can let everyone know it flies good. The other guys that have put glow in them say they fly good.

Vertical Grimmace, Yes I figured that out when I ran it this weekend, I have another 4oz tank that I think will fit better. I was thinking they were alot more fuel efficient than a 2 stroke but maybe not. What is a Polk's DR1? I bought this plane because I couldn't find very many arfs for this engine and this is the best looking one I have seen. What is vented uniflow?
Old 05-18-2005, 02:58 PM
vertical grimmace

I found this DR1 in the E-zone forums. Guys were making this electric but I thought the .30 would be perfect. Check it out. http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c..../it.A/id.90/.f
Uniflow is a method by which you pressurize the air near the fuel pickup as opposed to at the vent. When you build your tank, position your vent as normal, run your clunk as normal, but add a 3rd brass tube straight back to about a 1\4" from back of tank. This 3rd line (uniflow vent) is connected to your muffler pressure nipple. The clunk line goes to your carberator and your vent line is used to vent when filling. Fill your tank with the uniflow line. YOU MUST clamp your vent line when running your engine. This venting does not work if there is a leak or open in the system. I use an old perfect control line clip to pinch the vent line.
The reason? this allows your needle setting to remain steady throughout the entire engine run. Generally engines go lean as the fuel level drops in your tank. This is a C\L technique that is standard on most of these aircraft.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:49 PM
Inverticle

Saito 30 + 4oz tank = 5min??? I had a Saito 30 in a Tequila Sunrise with a 4 oz tank and was getting about 15min at an average of 3/4 throttle. I could fly at full throttle for at least 10min. Just my experience.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:43 PM
Invertedflyby

That Dr-1 looks awesome! If I had seen that I prob wouldn't have bought the Funtana. Would like to see pics and hear how it flies if you have 'em. Thanks for the info on the uniflow

I would guess my plane ran a little less than 5 minutes with that 2 oz tank. I put a 4oz in it last night so I should be good to go again.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:08 PM
vertical grimmace

My DR1 flies great. Be sure to balance it properly. On my last flight I was able to get it to fly inverted sustained. I made 5 or 6 circuits of the field. It took as much down elevater that I could give it. I prefer to hand launch it. It is very tricky on the ground. Landing is no problem. It looks great in the air and the best thing is how it snaps and spins. Especially to the left. I just love that little plane and I just leave it in the back of my truck. Theyalso have a Tiger moth that would be a little more friendly. The DR1 is not easy to fly but if you are experienced it is a blast.
I have been running my engine rich. Hence the fuel burn. Irregaurdless 2 oz. is not enough.
Old 05-29-2005, 09:18 PM
Invertedflyby

Today was the day. It flew great... right up until the engine died and I stalled it trying to get back to the runway. I flew it probably 5 minutes or so, did some kind of high G inverted flip spin at low throttle for a long time and it died. The gear came off and the sides where it meets the wing is a little bent but I can't find a break anywhere. For anyone looking at doing one of these it flies good. Plenty of power, cool 4 stroke sound, precise flying airplane. I like just taxiing around with that 4 stroke. Alot of people at the field thought it was cool. I don't like the roll rate, it's very high and if I had more time with it I would put some expo in it or reduce the ailieron rate. It's more aerobatic than I am pilot and for 3d stuff I am going to stick to shockflyers so I think I'm going to sell it now, but it was a cool project.
Old 05-29-2005, 09:35 PM
JasonRP

I just recently got the Mini Funtana.. Is it me, or is this plane extremely light weight? Seems like there is not much to this thing..

Jason
Old 05-29-2005, 09:49 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Flyby:

When you have the FA-30 Saito adjusted properly it will run close to seven minutes at full throttle on a two ounce tank. Normal flying should be safe at 12 minutes, possibly more than 15. On TWO ounces when adjusted properly.

NOT a fuel hog.

Bill.
Old 05-29-2005, 10:00 PM
Invertedflyby

JasonRP, yes it is extremely light.

Bill, I'm on board there. I was suprised to see how much fuel it had left in the tank after I got it down. It didn't die from lack of fuel, (unless the clunk couldn't get to where I had tossed the fuel ) I'm not sure why it died but I think I had the throttle set too low.
Old 05-30-2005, 10:25 PM
Invertedflyby

Well I fixed it today and this time got all the rates and expo set up right and this plane is a blast. It has plenty of power and looks like a much bigger plane up there than it is. Today I was flying it and a 35% Edge and the Mini-F were the only thing in the air, it was pretty cool. The rolls are very axial and I recommend the conversion to anyone considering it. Just keep the aileron rates low or dial in lots of expo. I'd say most of the flight was at 1/3 to 1/2 throttle with full only when going verticle. I didn't time it but it flew for a long time on 4oz. After a while I was thinking I needed to come down but kept flying and then was having so much fun I forgot about coming down, it finally died and it glides power off just fine.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:58 AM
tramsay

...good to hear your dead stick landing went well! So you still gonna sell it?

If so how much?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.