Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Das Not Ugly!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2005, 03:29 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Das Not Ugly!

Ahhh, well that is according to plans. Must have been the perspective.
Old 05-21-2005, 04:57 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Here she is, 12 ozs of heavenly joy! I slipped a 300 mah pack in,[ under the fuel tank] instead of the 150 and it balances right on the money.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99901.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	274453  
Old 05-21-2005, 05:10 PM
Dukester
My Feedback: (31)

Dang CP, and there I was feeling all proud of myself that I had managed to cut out a couple sets of ribs already.

Looking good.
Duke
Old 05-21-2005, 06:02 PM
BuzzardsFly

HEY , CP you promised us no new models for two weeks. You promisssssseeeeeedddd.

I like it, i like it alot.

Chris
Old 05-21-2005, 06:59 PM
combatpigg

I was hoping to slip another plane in with no one noticing! It flies GREAT!! Patrick did a nice job getting the moments and the proportions down to what works best for .049 power. This thing rolls beautifully, and if you always wanted to practice rolling circles, then this is your plane. I flew it with a 5 x 3 and the yet to be broken in product engine, and it was plenty of power for lots of fun. A TD would put it over the top. Take your pick, but I like the symetric airfoil for this one! I will go the extra mile soon and hook up a rudder. This one is balanced at 1.875" back on a 7" chord and handles like a " go where you point it" type plane. I can put it into a banked turn, and it will hold course. It will also knife edge circle both inside and out. Like they said in that movie,"build it, and you will come"!!
Old 05-21-2005, 11:12 PM
ptulmer

That was kinda gross dude.[sm=lol.gif] I've got three fuses almost finished. (now that's faith!) Looks like rain tomorrow, so probably the ACE wing one will get finished first. One of these is slated for a Norvel BM .061 w/throttle. That ought get me some vertical!
Old 05-21-2005, 11:23 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

CP, how does it knife edge with no rudder? Or are you just talking about a pylon turn?

PT, I'd be happy to offer up the stripe version plans for the zip file. My pleasure.
Old 05-22-2005, 12:03 AM
combatpigg

It doesn't need rudder to do KE circles, you are probably thinking of KE LOOPS. If it was doing KE loops without rudder, then I better check my building table for warps! I'm sure if I did enough consecutive KE circles, it would eventually plow up some dirt, but it is a kick to see it do a few insiders and outsiders in a row. Those product engines sure were a great deal. The one that I ran today had the intake opened up, and didn't like sucking fuel with a 6x3. With a 5x3 it ran the tank dry everytime, and was putting out enough thrust to climb at 75-80 degrees with 12 ozs.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:19 AM
flyswatter

pt-

You know why everybody mods your planes? It's because the basic designs are good - we just like to change the looks a little. I like cp version - course I am partial to longer nose moments. When do I get my Ace cores back? I like your bu wing better. Do you have it in the ACE swept le version? Will try DNU - but it may come out looking like a mustang. See ya this afternoon after work at the field.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:40 AM
ptulmer

Wilson, I'll try to remember your cores this afternoon. I've got 2ea coming from ehobbies. I've got the basic structure for the constant chord and some ideas from Bipe Flyer, but he used a symmetrical airfoil. When my cores get here I'm going to cut the whopped up ends off and trace them out. I want one that is a perfect duplicate.
If I give you one of the three I'm building.... we gonna tie some streamers on? I'll even throw in a Sure Start .049 and a bubble bottle tank!

ps. the wing on this one is interchangeable with the Ace, but is a shorter span.

pps. if anyone ever builds according to my plans....get the other nitro out!
Old 05-28-2005, 11:42 AM
flyswatter

pt-

You don't have to over work building the model. I will be glad to complete it from wherever you are. By the way, I have already changed the fin design so mine will look less "ugly stick" and a little more "ugly camel" so we can do more authentic battle. I figure the fin change will give me an aerodynamically cleaner design and yield at least another 25mph plus tighter turns! Oh, yeah, this is going to get competitive.

In truth, I think you and I will have to limit the combat flying area to within a 50 yard square; or else, I can see us standing together constantly asking each other, "Where are you?" Me thinks this is going to cost a plane or two.
Old 05-28-2005, 12:52 PM
combatpigg

You guys have some fun and put on a good show for the rest of the troops!
Old 05-28-2005, 10:08 PM
ptulmer

Alright CP, he's got a fuselage that's ready to cover and a product engine. If his hands stop shaking long enough to finish it, we may be flying some combat by next weekend! You were right...all it takes is a little arm twisting and a guilt trip or two!
Old 05-28-2005, 11:56 PM
combatpigg

I am laughing, MIGHTILY! If this man who you have festooned so well with COMBAT GEAR does not follow through and meet you on the field of honor, then I shall send THE FLYING SWORD OF DEATH to dispatch this rogue and serve his head to you thusly.
Old 06-01-2005, 05:05 PM
ptulmer

Hey, the brown airplane santa brought my ACE foam wings today! They are SOOOOO much nicer than the early ones that "flyswatter" loaned me. Also, they're only 2.5oz! That's an ounce and a half weight loss for the full panel. Yup, a foam wing DAS NOT UGLY! is going to be the first up in my fleet.
Old 06-01-2005, 05:56 PM
BuzzardsFly

Hey, the brown airplane santa brought my ACE foam wings today!

The "brown airplane santa" Please explain ???

I have cleared the bench of in anticipation

Chris
Old 06-01-2005, 08:13 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

UPS?
Old 06-01-2005, 09:02 PM
ptulmer

They don't have UPS in OZ? Ok, so it was dumb. Most of my jokes are. (really)

Chris, the templates are drying on the wood right now. If the right moments presents itself tomorrow, they'll get cut. The hitch is that you're probably going to be making ribs for your friends that see your DAS NOT UGLY!
Old 06-02-2005, 10:45 AM
BuzzardsFly

there is UPS but it is more for international freight. No rush just anticipation thats all.

Chris
Old 06-02-2005, 01:17 PM
ProBroJoe

Hello all,

I've been bitten by the bug and have started building my own DNU. (It's going to be powered by one of the Cox product engines that I have now have turning 18,600 RPM on a 5 x 3.5 Master Airscrew.)

Anyway, I just wanted to share a picture and of course thank Patrick for posting the plans!

-Joe

Name:	Kh17853.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	279540  
Old 06-07-2005, 02:34 PM
flyswatter

pt-

I will definitely be ready this weekend. I expect you to be also. We will get in a couple of practice flights to make sure your DNU approaches the performance of my a/c. My the way, like I told you, my a/c is a "DN2U-Sopwith Camel" version of your original design. You know we can not resist modifying your designs.

By the way, as I started to cover the DN2U - a shiver went down my back. In my mind, in large letters was the following; "Pt take your goose out of the oven - it is done!" That is not meant to be a challenge, it's just that I think the DN2U design will be lighter, turn sharper and be about 25mph faster than the "old" original design with a foamy wing. (Is that enough of a red flag to get the old pt bull to finish his DNU?)

One more thing, you keep showing distain for the 0.49 TD and I will put my pressurized TD on the DN2U and let you chase that one around. I'd do it now, but I think you could tell the difference between the product engine and a TD and , besides, I already have enough of an advantage.
Old 06-07-2005, 03:10 PM
ptulmer

SHOOOOOEEEEEEEEEEEE! This is going to get UGLY! At least you can't tell the difference between your product engine and my COMBATPIGG KILLER BEE DEVIL ENGINE. Since I wasn't able to get Tim with it.... YOU'RE NEXT! Stick that wimpy TD on there. When I take your streamer and fly some circles around you... well, just bring a hanky. You'll need it.

OK, some reality should be injected here. I'm waiting on the covering. Should be here thurs or fri. That's about all I need. Still gotta find some crepe paper. Maybe Winn Dixie has it?
Old 06-07-2005, 03:37 PM
groundsman

I'm a little late on this one, but if anyone is interested, I flew with the man that designed the 1/2 A stick. His name is Ted bosonitch. I built two. they were great flyers with a TD He also designed the 1/2 A Kaos with the Ace tapered wing . Very smooth flyer.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:31 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Half-A-Chaos and the Half-A-Stick both were featured in the same RCM edition in mid-75. Both planes used the ACE foam wing and were co-designed by George Chabot and Ted Bozanich. There is a rough similarity among the Sticks, but Patirck's dimensions are quite a bit different from Bozanich's Stick.

Name:	Wu59984.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	281791   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy80221.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	281792  
Old 06-07-2005, 06:09 PM
ptulmer

Groundsman, you're never too late till your dead! Like Andrew says, my dimensions are quite a bit different. I don't even want to think about putting a TD on mine, but it would probably be OK. I kept the reedies in mind for this one. You can pick up the Cox SureStart's for seven bucks right now and that should be a perfect match. And like those models I also wanted to be able to use the Ace foam wings. The new ones put out by Thunder Tiger (which bought Ace) are simply incredible. A great value, and a superior product compared to the originals. To get the correct wingspan four inches need to be cut off each panel. My entire airframe,including the AFW, is ONLY 4oz! That should put me right on the nose for a 12oz model. I'll try to get some pics up tonight.

Joe, looks good dude! I might have to pull out some of the "other" nitro. It almost looks like you're building according to my plans!? That's never been done!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.