Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Cox piston reset tool

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Cox piston reset tool

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 08:38 PM
meowy84

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cox piston reset tool

Does anyone know of a source of the genuine Cox reset tools for the .049 or .051 engines? I've seen some Davis Diesel reset tools but would prefer a Cox tool. Also, any idea on what these reset tools typically go for price-wise?
Old 05-25-2005, 08:39 PM
t_kwink

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cox piston reset tool

I bought one on the bay, but someone here, maybe combatpig, makes them, and I have heard that they are superior.

Wink
Old 05-25-2005, 09:38 PM
meowy84

I'd like to get my hands on a genuine Cox one. []
Old 05-25-2005, 10:32 PM
jessiej

ORIGINAL: meowy84

I'd like to get my hands on a genuine Cox one. []
Keep an eye on eBay. I understand, though that the ones made by Andrew Coholic are preferable.

jess
Old 05-25-2005, 10:55 PM
burtcs

I saw several on eBay several weeks ago. The were both up to $25 and $35 respectively and the auction wasn't over. I just chuckled and moved on. Why the fetish for a "COX" tool when another will do the job as well and be cheaper?

HTH - Steve B.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:07 AM
fritzke
My Feedback: (1)

Boy, do I feel lucky now! I just bought an original 049-051, AND an .09, new in-the bag-COX
reset tool at a swap meet on Sunday for $2 each! Must be my lucky week as I also got a Medallion
.049 R/C, new in the plastic box at a GARAGE sale last Thursday (with the outer packing sleeve no less!)
for $10. OK, the glow head was MIA, but so whaaa???? Also at the swap I snagged an OS .10 FSR like new
(but no muffler) for $22 and an HB .15 for $15. The HB was rough, but I think it will run after I straightened,
bushed, drilled and lapped the con-rod crank pin hole. Dam those guys with their full size Sullivan starters!
Dave
Old 05-26-2005, 06:44 AM
flyinrog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got one of AJCoholic's reset tools probably a year or 2 ago for $15,,very well made, but I know he has been a lot busier since he got the engine reviewer position with FlyRC,, I think he makes a batch at a time,,,he's not on here near as much as he used to be....you could try and PM him...Rog
Old 05-26-2005, 01:06 PM
meowy84

Thanks guys for all the input as always.

Fritzke I have one of those HB .15 engines. Very nice looking engine indeed with some neat features like the radial mount cast into the crankcase IN ADDITION to the regular mounting tabs. Also love the finless head design. My O.S. .15 and Enya .09 and .15 look too similar to each other. The HB is relatively unique. Haven't ran it yet though. BTW does yours have the plastic Perry carb?
Old 05-26-2005, 01:37 PM
fritzke

Yes, it has the Perry carb on it. It obviously had been flooded and
hit with a high-torque starter which bent the connecting rod. It had been run that way
and the bottom con-rod hole was really toast and the crank pin was
very slightly cone shaped as well. I bushed the crank-pin with thin brass tube
and reamed and lapped the hole in the con-rod to fit it. My only concern is that
I may have removed too much material from the conrod and it will
fail. Just have to treat it gently. MECOA has cranks and rods, but that would put
me back another $30 with shipping, so that $15 "deal" starts to get spendy!
I like the old HB's a lot. My .40 PDP was (IS) a good motor.
A guy at the swap had a NIB HB .25 for $45, should have bought that one too!
Dave
Old 05-26-2005, 02:11 PM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

meowy,

The Cox unit is no better than any of the aftermarket ones. If I needed one I would get ahold of AJC myself.

LAter,
Tim
Old 05-26-2005, 05:31 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I have several of the HB engines, but mine are all the "25 Special." Very nice, but not extremely high powered.

Bill.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19395.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	276820   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19870.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	276821  
Old 06-09-2005, 08:28 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: fritzke

Boy, do I feel lucky now! I just bought an original 049-051, AND an .09, new in-the bag-COX
reset tool at a swap meet on Sunday for $2 each! ... Dave
Dave,

I found one of the .09 reset tools in a new Cox .049 engine box from my LHS several years ago. Perhaps someone at Cox found some and was told to get rid of them...Lucky us!
Old 07-12-2005, 02:52 PM
Dan Matheson
My Feedback: (20)

Those original Cox piston reset tool kits are hard to find and from past experience, they are the only way to go. If anyone is interested, I have lots of Cox .049 and .051 stuff as well as a original piston reset tool kit. I also have a Cox Medallion .15 with throttle control. Not sure if I will sell, but I'm not using any of it, so who knows???? Any feed back would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan Matheson
Old 07-14-2005, 06:40 PM
meowy84

Anyone try the Davis Diesel reset tool with any success? They're always listed on theebay but they just look kinda cheap in my opinion for the price they're asking. The reset tool itself looks like a length of cheap tube that would bend the first time you use it. I wonder if it's machined squarely with a nice cup contour or if it will leave marks under the piston.
Old 07-14-2005, 06:59 PM
jessiej

ORIGINAL: meowy84

Anyone try the Davis Diesel reset tool with any success?.
Mine work fine.

jess
Old 07-26-2005, 02:16 PM
dieFluggeister

Hey guys,
I just reset the conrod/piston on one of my Surestarts and now its a little tight in the cylinder although the rod is free inside the piston cup with only the slightest amount of play. I'm afraid I must have deformed the piston some. It can be turned by the prop fairly easily but with the cylinder removed it cant be pushed through by hand.

Is this normal when it's reset?

Update - A little bit of polishing and some oil and about 100 turns by hand has it back to normal. Good compression too. But is that par for the course?
Old 07-26-2005, 02:44 PM
jessiej

Interestingly(?) of the two SureStarts I purchased, the one with the really sloppy rod/piston joint has a really tight piston/cylinder fit. It is reminiscent of the "squeaky" tight fit of some of the Norvells. I have not yet run this engine. (with a heat index approaching 125 degrees said running ain't gonna happen today). When I fire it up I will post comparative results of the two engines.

jess
Old 07-26-2005, 10:46 PM
scudrunner77

I have a product engine to reset so I went to my local hobby shop and was looking though their boxes of COX parts and found and .09 and I think an .020 reset tool..but no .049[] To tell you the truth I was surprised they had any....
Old 07-27-2005, 02:03 AM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To tell you the truth that 020 reset tool is a lot harder to find then the 049 one. I have about 1/2 dozen of the critters laying around here just out of sight if you know what I mean. I'm going to have to get looking for this stuff as there is a lot of it floating aroun the shop.
Dennis
Old 07-27-2005, 08:16 PM
injunnut1

>I have a product engine to reset so I went to my local hobby shop and was looking though their boxes of COX parts and found and .09 and I think an .020 reset tool..but no .049 To tell you the truth I was surprised they had any....<

The Cox .09 reset tool will work as well on the .049/.051 and also .074 Cox Piston / Rod assemblies. Both tools use the same 45 degree STRAIGHT taper (NOT a 'Cup' shape).

Old 07-27-2005, 08:55 PM
gcb

ORIGINAL: injunnut1

The Cox .09 reset tool will work as well on the .049/.051 and also .074 Cox Piston / Rod assemblies. Both tools use the same 45 degree STRAIGHT taper (NOT a 'Cup' shape).
I split an .049 piston by using the .09 reset tool on it. The tool was hitting the rim of the ball keeper instead of the center. This was an old Babe Bee and perhaps the ball keeper was different then. In any case be careful. I know instructions for the tool says it can be used on the .020, .049/.051, and the .09.

I always wondered how they used it on an .020 since the shaft on the reset tool is bigger than the .02 piston...barely fits an .049.

I THINK the intention was to use the same instructions for all sizes but the instructions actually say the tool can be used for all three sizes. The reset tool shaft actually says .09 and I would only use it for that size.

I would humbly suggest that you use an .049 reset tool on an .049.

George
Old 07-28-2005, 08:28 AM
gcb

die,
No, that is not normal, but I have done it also. Make sure you are using the block that the piston sets in...or at least a flat surface. Also make sure you are using a hard support surface so tha force will be applied to the ball socket and not absorbed by the surface it's sitting on.

jess,
Remember that part of the tightness shown on a new Norvel is from the rough anodized surface. It smoothes a lot when run the first time.

Davis reset tool:
That is what I use also. Some day I'll have to get one from AJ. The Davis has a domed surface which may need more pounding than the cone type. Anyone compared them?

George