Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Whizzard

Old 05-28-2005, 11:51 AM
Richard Say

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whizzard

Here is a pic of the whizzard I have been flying. This has a replacement Ace wing on it, which seems slightly different than the original. 3 chhanels, R-E-M. Ame .049 with throttle. great flying little plane. It has a replacement wing because I flew the plane past the battery safe point last time and augered in.

Dick Say
1/2A forever
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36123.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	180.1 KB
ID:	277444  
Old 05-28-2005, 02:52 PM
JasonRP

Default RE: Whizzard

Cool! I probably talk about my Whizard too much around here, but that's because it is an awesome plane in my opinion! Was yours kit built? Also, can you post some pics of your engine mount and servo installation? I suspect my servos are mounted too far back (or the pushrod setup I used is too heavy) so I have to tape a couple of quarters to the front of mine before I fly it!

Jason

PS: Here is a pic of mine.. It's currently in my garage awaiting an engine overhaul! It's current configuration = 2 channel, R&E, with a Cox BlackWidow .049
[img][/img]

Name:	Lj24041.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	277482  
Old 05-28-2005, 03:22 PM
Richard Say

Hi Jason,
I will post the pics you asked for. It will be next week as I have to wait for my Daughter to come over with her digital camera. I will get it done though. Yes, I built mine from a kit I bought on E-Bay. I put a hatch in the bottom front, behind the firewall. The 2 0z. tank and 270 Mah batt go right behind the firewall. Then the receiver goes right behind the front bulkhead followed by th servos. The space between the servos and the bulkhead just has enough space for the receiver. I also lightened up the rear fuselage and tail group by fretting out the sheet balsa and putting in 1/8th inch balsa stick framework. Hope that helps.
Dick Say
Old 05-29-2005, 07:54 PM
propbuster
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since we're showing off our Whizards, I thought I'd add a couple of pics of mine scratch built from plans. I'm using full size JR gear, and the receiver and a 600 mh battery just fit behind the firewall with a 1 oz tank. The wing span is a little longer than the plan called for as I used a longer piece of a salvaged Ace wing for the center section and she will climb out like mad! I used lite ply for the fuselage sides instead of balsa and although it's a little heavy, with the TD .051 in front she still goes pretty fast. The next one I build will have smaller gear and full house control. Now that would be even more fun! Dick and Jason, yours look great!

Name:	Sq46468.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	290.6 KB
ID:	277951   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av70169.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	277952  
Old 05-29-2005, 09:19 PM
JasonRP

propbuster-

Like the looks of yours as well! The white with red is a cool look.. With a TD, yours must really haul, and I think you're on to something with not doing the stock landing gear wire- that way, if you want to add a landing gear later you can, or for long grass fields you can go without. I too built mine from plans, and I think I will build another one, full-house this time. That way, if a newbie wants to train with my original one, that's ok, but for more aerobatic manuevers the full-house one will rule the day.

Judging from the sounds of it, I mounted my servos too far back (mine are just in front of the rearmost bulkhead in the fuselage compartment).. Perhaps if I switch out the black widow for the Norvel .061 R/C with the tank/mount, the added weight of the throttle servo up front (and I think the tank is bigger too), It will balance out OK.. Also, instead of the foam (which is probably 1000 times more durable), I built up my wing from balsa using my own design, but using the original airfoil, and the basic physical dimensions.. I think my wingspan is about 42" IIRC.

Love these little planes! What a cool fuselage design! Tabbed crutch, also the front end is extremely solid! I wonder how different the "Super Whiz Kid" is, or if it is the same fuselage and tail feathers, with an aileron wing..

Jason
Old 05-29-2005, 10:07 PM
boberos

The 'Whiz Kid' & larger 'Super Whiz Kid' are earlier designs from 1966 & 67 . They qualify as vintage as they predate the 1970 cuttoff date set by the VRCS.
See www.vintagercsociety.org
Old 05-30-2005, 07:21 AM
Richard Say

Hi Prop & Jason,
Your Whizzards both look great. What a great little design. No matter how you equip it - flys great. Prop, with throttle and lighter, she slows right down to a cruise at 1/2 throttle. I am still flying .60 to .90 (4 cycle) size airplanes too. The 1/2A ships are just as much fun and a hell of a lot less expensive, not to mention simpler and quicker building, easier to transport etc.
I have a Waco twin engine troop glider in the covering stage. I will send pics soon.
Happy Flying
Dick
Old 05-30-2005, 08:58 PM
propbuster

Hey Guys, Jason, I mounted my servos right behind the F1 bulkhead and still had to add a little lead to the nose for it to balance out. And you're right, I like the crutch design in the fuselage, really sturdy! I have a bunch of blue foam board and am thinking of cutting my own wings out of it. I'm thinking of making two longer panels and doing away with the flat center section. Lose a little of the dihedral, and with ailerons, this might be a pretty good aerobatic plane. I'll have to check out the Whiz and Super Whiz too
Old 05-30-2005, 10:14 PM
JasonRP

I'm kinda hoping this thread turns into a Whizzard revival tour kinda thread!

I know ajcoholic and also flyinrog built Whizzard's within the last year or two as well.. Guys? Are your Whizzard's still flight ready?

Also, browsing the google - images tool, I found a Whizzard that some guy covered in brown (looked like the old school tissue paper covering), but made his bird electric powered!

Jason
Old 05-31-2005, 08:40 AM
CoosBayLumber

Seems odd, but were most of the Whizzards that I have seen have a yellow fuselage. Mine too.

You think this because we always seem to have some leftover Piper Cub yellow dope or covering?

Wm.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:21 AM
flyinrog

I still have the wing and fuse but I'm afraid mine is no longer flight worthy,,nor am I inclined to repair it,,based on all the "projects" I already have...maybe one day...Rog
Old 05-31-2005, 04:36 PM
dieFluggeister

I've heard the plane really flies nice. Where does a person get plans?

Thanks
Old 05-31-2005, 06:29 PM
flyinrog

at RCM its plan #547 then you have to buy a wing ,,Quantum models sell them I think or they have the whole kit too...Rog
RCM may have instructions to build a wing by ribs but I dont know for sure..
Old 05-31-2005, 08:03 PM
JasonRP

rog- Beat me to it!

Here's the link:

http://www.rcmmagazine.com/e/env/000...m=plans:PL-547

The plans don't explain how to build a wing from balsa, but the plan does have a airfoil, and I used that to build a built-up wing. I made a center section, and two side pieces. Essentially, I cut a ">" shaped notch into the face of each airfoil wing rib, so that I could glue in a 3/8" square leading edge. I sheeted the back end top and bottom so that it shaped a nice trailing edge. I then used spruce for an upper and lower spar, and they stick out past the surface of the wing rib the thickness of the balsa sheeting I used. Next, I sheeted a "D" tube in the front from the leading edge up to the spars on the top and bottom. Finally, I made cap strips for the top and bottom of the airfoil ribs.. Don't worry if I'm not making sense- a pic is worth a 1000 words(see below).. I sheeted the entire center section, and I made two 3/16" thick balsa airfoil ribs that I then tapered (thinner on top edge) to fit between each outer wing section and the center section, so that there was no gap when each outer section was propped up to give the wing proper dihedral. I also used thicker airfoils (can't remember if it was 1/4" or not) glued onto the end, and then rounded, for wing tips. I think this might have been 3/16" balsa though, to save weight. If I recall correctly, I just put 3 CD jewel cases stacked on top of each other, and propped the wing tips with those jewel cases on each side- High tech, huh? It came out plenty strong, and light. I'll even go so far as to say it looks pretty good too!

Here's some pics:

Also, you can buy a kit still- Thunder Tiger bought the rights to make some of the Ace simple series kits again, of which this plane is one of them.

Jason

Name:	Hf98900.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	278846   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82813.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	278847   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz80051.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	278848   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99747.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	278849  
Old 05-31-2005, 08:25 PM
propbuster

Quantum Models.com has the kit for $35. I can also go to Kincos any time and copy my set of plans and send them to anyone who would like a copy for the incredible price of.............nothing P.S. Jason, Great job on the built up wing!
Old 06-01-2005, 08:17 AM
Richard Say

Jason,
Nice design,engineering and build on the built up wing. Plane looks great.
Dick
Old 06-01-2005, 08:58 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Clipped wing Wiz for the Reedy race? Does that inspire you Rog?
Old 06-01-2005, 08:37 PM
JasonRP

Thanks for the compliments on the wing, guys! I was quite satisfied with it, although I bet it took me 20 times longer to build one up then it would take to just build the foam wing! I'm still working on an Ace T-6 Texan, and for this plane I think I might just build it with the stock foam wing.

I have a question for you folks with a throttled engine on your Whizzard. Is the plane designed to climb at full throttle without any other inputs from the pilot- so that if you max the throttle it climbs, and you don't also need to add up elevator? I am curious because, with my BW engine, there's no throttle, so I launch the plane and then it screams along until it runs outta juice. While the motor is running, it's fighting to climb the whole time, and I've maxed the down trim to compensate. When it runs outta fuel and the motor stops however, it glides wonderfully (still with the same amount of down trim)..

I'm not sure if I still need to balance this plane more towards the front (it's possibly still a little tail heavy?) or if this is normal for planes with wide-open throttle all the time? Also, I haven't used a balancing machine to check the CG, only the finger test on the wingtips..

What do you guys think? With a throttled engine would this plane be a lot more balanced? Or do I just need to do more adjustments?

Jason
Old 06-01-2005, 08:46 PM
flyinrog

Jason, high wing planes sometimes climb at full throttle for different reasons but yours is tail heavy, if you need down trim to glide level..

Vic, my reedy racer is built,I just havent had a chance to fly it yet,,when I have time the weather is crappy,,maybe this weekend...Rog
Old 06-01-2005, 08:50 PM
propbuster

Jason, My Whizard just keeps going strait up like mad! My maiden flight had me quite worried as I had all the down trim I had on it, and she was still going for the moon. Like Dick Say said, at half throttle it will fly nice. I think a Norvel with a throttle is probably the way to go with this plane as I have yet to get mine dialed in for strait and level flight with the TD .051 @ WOT.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:43 AM
cortacesped

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That´s not fair !!!. I´m just finishing with the building of my Jr. Falcon and now you show me the pictures of this lovely plane. You can imagine that as soon as I get my building board free I get a plan and start building one. Really good looking planes. Regards.

Claudio
Old 06-02-2005, 07:51 AM
Richard Say

Jason,
Chances are the plane is a little tail heavy. However, you didn't mention where the elevator is positioned when you have full down trim dialed in. The answer to pleasant flight on these planes is a throttle. I was even able to land and taxi back to the flight line yesterday! Just as a rule of thumb on 1/2A aircraft. I usually design my own. I always make the aft end (cabin to rear) a stick structure. I also install the batteries (heavy) behind the firewall and the rest of the radio components as far forward in the radio compartment as possible. Just a rule of thumb.
Dick
1/2A Forever
Old 06-03-2005, 01:51 PM
dstout

I still have mine available for pickup here in western NC if anyone needs a spare. $15 - airframe and wheels. PM me for pics or details if interested.
Old 06-04-2005, 01:48 PM
dieFluggeister

Hey propbuster, I had similar problems on other planes especially at WOT which was solved by dialing in a little more down thurst on the engine. I have found that more down thrust is often needed on a high wing plane, especially if you have it overpowered from the plan specs.

I would think that if it were tail heavy you would have real control problems other than a need to climb. Adjusting the CG too far forward to correct it will probably lead to a crash when the motor quits. First check balance and put the CG about where the plans call for. Then double-check to make sure you have built the wing and the horiz stab at the proper incidences. If these are correct, try adding one washer at a time between the engine mount and the firewall to tilt the engine down a little.