Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Build Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 08:20 PM
Uncas
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Build Question

Hi,

This group as some great builders so it is here I ask. I am kit bashing 2 different planes (or what is left of them) for an electric build. Basically using a fully symetrical wing from a Mountain Models Dandy GT and strapping it to the bottom of an old GWS Tiger Moth - ends up looking like a sort of Spacewalker. The other parts to these planes have been destroyed - uhmm, one of them because I strapped a supersonic Norvel .061 on to it and ripped the wings, hehe.

My question is:

How important is it to have the wing in line with the horizintal stabalizer?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18722.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	278405  
Old 05-30-2005, 08:32 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Build Question

It's not important. Most planes don't have the wing and stab in line, but it IS important that they are ALLIGNED. A little dihedral on that low winger would be nice, but not mandatory. Your kit bashing idea should work just fine.
Old 05-31-2005, 07:46 AM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

It's ok for the front (leading edge) of the wing to be higher than the rear (trailing edge), but not the other way around. It's called positive incidence and is used on slower airplanes. So if you don't plan on screamin around.... what am I saying! Of course you do!
Old 06-01-2005, 07:39 AM
dbruening80

Jim,

Thats gonna look awesome when you're done, pretty good idea if you asked me
Old 06-01-2005, 12:19 PM
Uncas

PT & CP

I have pos incidence now but no dihedral. Are you saying it will fly slower with positive incidence? Will it be less manuverable? Land slower maybe?

Thinking back, the Dandy Sport I had was a very gentle plane and it had noticable incidence and it was a bigger wing with dihedral and a flat bottom. When I bought this GT wing, it came with an adapter for the back of the wing to level it out. The plane then became very acrobatic and due to my expert flying skills, I promptly smashed it into the ground. Maybe a little pos incidence will calm it down.

Hi Doug!
Old 06-01-2005, 12:35 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The positive wing is used when the power level and speed is expected to be low. For our typical stuff, and by the looks of your plane, you would want zero-zero on everything. The point of having a symetric airfoil is so the plane will behave equally well right side up and inverted. Having incidence angles spoils the fun then.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:38 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Uncas, pos incidence puts the wing at a higher AOA while the tail tries to make you fly straight. So yeah, when trimmed for straight flight the pos inc will slow you down with drag. It will also create more lift in this configuration(that's why it will need more trim), but it's not an efficient way to do it. But that sounds like what your looking for. Couple degrees is all you want though. If the AOA is too much the wing will remain stalled. When flying the first time be ready to trim with down elevator. You can combine engine downthrust and positive incidence to make an airplane fly real slow. There, that was free and worth every penny you paid!
Old 06-03-2005, 09:11 PM
Uncas

Thanks for the lesson in aerodynamics guys [sm=tongue.gif]. I may experiment a little with this incidence thing.
Old 06-04-2005, 07:32 AM
flyinrog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You put a norvel .61 on a Tiger Moth??!!!,,,I bet you glued bottle rockets to your model cars when you were a kid too....hahhahhaa...Rog