Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Left hand prop[ for a Cox TD .049)

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Left hand prop[ for a Cox TD .049)

Old 10-06-2002, 06:04 PM
martybee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Left hand prop[ for a Cox TD .049)

I bought a Cox EZ-Flyer at a yard sale and it is new in the box But is missing the prop. The parts list says it is a 4-1/2x4" LEFT Handed prop. The plane is a "Cessna 150 Aerobat." Any body know why it would be a Lefthand Prop? The part number is...5111010B.
Old 10-09-2002, 01:54 AM
SRA Foam Flyer
My Feedback: (11)

I can't remember what this plane looks like, but if the engine is in the rear of the plane or facing backwards it needs a PUSHER PROP, also refered to as a left hand prop. If it's .049 the Cox three bladed 5x3 will work. Tower Hobbies has them.
These people also sell many types of 1/2A pusher props. www.grishproducts.com
Old 10-09-2002, 02:38 AM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it is an 049 reed valve engine than just put a regular prop on backwards and run the engine in reverse. If you need a reverse spring starter email me with your address and I can send you one. Or if you need just one pusher prop I think I have one I can also give you (got to check the box).

Andrew Coholic
Old 10-09-2002, 12:03 PM
martybee

It is a reed valve engine. The prop starter spring is made to turn engine clockwise instead of the standard ccw. I need a reverse
spring or a pusher type prop. Any help would be appreciated.
Martin Bertulis [[email protected]]
Thanks
Old 10-09-2002, 01:57 PM
aircat

You will find a much better selection of standard props, find a ccw spring and try a MAS 6x3 or an APC 6x2.5 , I think that’s the APC size. I even did this on my old control line stuff and found that it worked great.

Aircat
Old 10-09-2002, 03:46 PM
ajcoholic

Martybee,
I agree with aircat - if the engine is a tractor, but just set up to use reverse rotation, just need a new spring starter to be able to use standard props. A reed valve engine will run equally well in either direction, if you arent aware of that.

If you have a hard time getting a spring where you are please email me and I will gladly send one your way (free) as I have quite a few.

Andrew
Old 10-09-2002, 08:25 PM
martybee

Default Why a Pusher Prop on a traction motor?

While still on the subject of Left-hand Props, Why would a manufacturer use a pusher prop on a traction motor and then change the engine rotation so the pusher prop becomes a, "puller"?
Old 10-09-2002, 08:41 PM
ajcoholic

Cox did some "weird" things with their ARF planes...

Andrew
Old 10-10-2002, 01:36 AM
SRA Foam Flyer
My Feedback: (11)

Everything they make is weird, I knew it was futile , but I just used a medallion .049 I have been saving and the exhaust throttle lasted it's usual 2 flights until it wallowed out and was no longer functioning as it should. Yanked it off so now I have another weak TeeDee .049.
All those planes they are making right now???? They have some nice looking planes but whats with the boomerang ducted fan jet with rudder control, the XB-29 and aero commander...differential motor steering, I have seen some of these fly and most just crash at launch??? Why don't you just give the things a power on power off throttle button and 2 channels for control surfaces??? Why not just start manufacturing the old foam cessna's, sportavia's, cherokees and gliders again and sell them for 40~50 bucks. Since they make engines, why not make the XB-29, boomerang and aero commander to accomadate the engines they make???
I don't understand how they stay in business.
Old 10-10-2002, 03:53 PM
ajcoholic

Marty bee,
Found you 2 pusher props, one 2 blade one three. Will send them today or tomorrow.

AJC
Old 10-11-2002, 07:06 PM
aircat

I think the concept of the cw props originated on their cl stuff, it was suppose to help pull the plane to the outside of the circle and keep the strings tight, maybe they had a lot of left over props and springs.

Aircat
Old 10-11-2002, 07:15 PM
martybee

Aircat: I believe you are right. That is what I surmised also. The developed right hand thrust would help to keep the control lines taut.