Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Machine shop warning... swarf is sharp

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Machine shop warning... swarf is sharp

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 10:27 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Machine shop warning... swarf is sharp

Figured I'd put this here as the 1/2A forum is our unofficial machine shop forum it seems.

OK, OK I know this isn't news to anyone but it hit a new high for me tonight. No, there aren't any sliced fingers decorating the floor. Just a pure annoyance.

The pic below is a shot of the setup I used tonight for slotting some Cox ball end resetting tools. The innocent looking "dust" at the end of my finger is the swarf that came off the stack of saws used to do the slotting. The piece was a long rod left unsupported so it was chattering a little but as it was a "pulling" cut it was safe for the cutters and machinery so I let it go. But as a result the swarf came off as very short flat needles of either 1/32 or 1/16 length. I don't have a macro setup at the moment for the digitals or I'd show you the 57 tiny little 1/32 long slivers that I had to pluck from my fingers..... and as I type this I can feel some more that I missed.

So if you should EVER use slotting saws of any sort for some of your work I strongly advise disposable glove be worn until all the work and cleanup is finished.

I'm now officially afraid to go near my mill drill because of this contamination......
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99778.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	280961  
Old 06-05-2005, 10:45 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Machine shop warning... swarf is sharp

BRUCE, on the bright side, with a little extra iron in your system , you won't have to remember to take your vitamins for a while. These high powered tools are as amazing as they are dangerous.
Old 06-05-2005, 11:03 PM
BMatthews

It wasn't the high power of the machine that shot the slivers into me. I got them from handling the parts and wiping the goo off with the same paper towel for all of them. Apparently between handling the parts and using the same towel I got the stuff all over me. Working with the parts and the machine handles then forced it into my skin.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:12 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I get them out with duct tape.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:44 AM
MikeSell
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What you just experienced is the reason I didn't care for the milling portion ot the toolmaker trade. I found the mill the most versitile machine, but found the slivers and cuts the most annoying. I still prefer the small slivers to the stitches I get from being clipped by a moving prop.
BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!
Old 06-06-2005, 11:02 AM
jetpack
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One of the best tricks, and probably the most overlooked, is to fold a rag under the cutting. When your done, you carefully lift the chip rag and carry it to the garbage. Always start with a clean machine also. That way you can visually see where every little monster is hiding when its time to break the setup, saving yourself from any "suprise chips" on the next cleanup, where you think the chips are all safe. A little bit of extra effort but it beats sitting under a halogen with a pair of tweezers for the rest of the evening.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:26 PM
BMatthews

ORIGINAL: vicman

I get them out with duct tape.
I got rid of many of them that way but there were still about 25 to 30 that needed the high power glasses and either tweezers or digging them out with a scalpel blade.

I'm still getting the odd "shot" from one or two that I've still got after a few good washups.

As for the clean machine I guess my pic shows that I'm not guilty of being a neat freak....
Old 06-06-2005, 01:41 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Is there some kind of magnetic trap that can be had?
Old 06-07-2005, 03:29 AM
jetpack
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Using a drip system of coolant I found also helps on keeping sliver chips from dusting everything. They all stay in the mud from the cutter that you catch with the rag trick. Any that flow with the coolant into the table, you can toss a small magnet in where it is pooling. Dont try and clean the magnet, just remove it to sop up whats sitting.
A drip hose can be made easy with a coffee can wired to the head of the machine and a small valve or C clamp to the tubing. Run the tubing down to the arbor twist tied on a stem, let the gravity flow and adjust the drips with the clamp.
Slitting saws are notorious for them kind of chips. Always if you can slow the rpms down or the feed up to stay below the chatter, thats where the chips originate. If the cutter is quiet, you know your rolling a chip, and not spiking one. You get tolerable chips and the cutter is working like it should, which keeps it sharp.